Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One day to drive around Tuscany....Suggestions Please

Old Jul 1st, 2009, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have one "free" day and were pondering the idea of renting a car to drive in Tuscany while we're there. We are staying near San Casciano in Val di Pesa. I really want to see San Gimignano and am open to any and all suggestions. We would like to include a winery tour also. Would it be better just to travel by train to a few spots? or hire a driver for the day? If we rent a car we will drive ourselves to the airport the next morning, is that time consuming? Thanks in advance!!!!!

You can see the location where we be staying here:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...mignano,+italy
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 09:16 AM

sltx:
no train from Val to SG...in fact no train to SG from anywhere..maybe a bus...short ride. IF you rent a car, traveling from Val di Pesa to Florence airport is a short easy drive without having to drive into Florence centrum. A car and driver will be quite expensive for the day...drive yourselves..there is a large parking lot at the entrance to SG
With the car, you can also drive into the Chianti Valley and perhaps take in a winery tour that same day...it's not a lot of driving..another option, combining Volterra (Etruscan museum, ruins, etc)..also close to SG.
stu t.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 09:19 AM

The last time we were in Florence, my DH and I hired a driver to take us out for a day in Tuscany. We started with a couple of hours in San Gimignano, then on to Monteriggioni, to Siena for lunch, and stops at several wineries along the way and on the return trip to Florence. We found it very relaxing. We enjoyed not having to drive, not having to worry about drinking too much wine at lunch (plus tastings), and being free to stop wherever we wanted. Our hotel in Florence (Tourist House Ghiberti) arranged the driver, and if I recall correctly, it was about $200 for the day. He was more than willing to stop anywhere we saw a photo op, and very pleasant in describing the areas through which we drove and at which we stopped.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 09:23 AM

Given where you are staying, how come you don't have a car?
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

We did not rent a car because we arrive in Florence on Monday afternoon will take a taxi to the villa and relax there for the remainder of the day. The next day we are going to spend the day in Florence and the villa provides a shuttle. We only have Wednesday remaining as we leave on Thursday.

BTW I got in contact with someone who gives private tours and she charges 280 for a seven hour tour which includes wineries, etc. similiar to what ladylawyer42 mentioned. I just don't want to waste time getting lost and as you pointed out worrying about wine consumption.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
ira

Hey S,

If you think that the price of the rour guide is reasonable, go with it. Much more convenient than trying to drive around Italy.

If you do rent a car, you will need an International Driver's Permit.
http://www.aaasouth.com/home.asp