Rome and Paris for delayed Honeymoon

Old Aug 13th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome and Paris for delayed Honeymoon

Hello Everyone: Need some guidance, looking at five days in Rome, perhaps at the Hotel Alante, and then four days in Paris. Would probably fly from Rome to Paris. We are not into art gallaries etc., but more of the people watching and exploring. If we stayed in Rome, would you suggest day tours, or rent a car...would five days be enough time in Rome? (I have been there 20 years ago) Does anyone know of a not too expensive hotel in Paris, or would I be better off staying out of the city, and renting a car to explore?
Appreciate any guidance you could beging to offer. Date: March 30 to Rome departing April 6 to Paris for four days and then back to US. Thank you so much.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 12:47 PM

Sounds like a reasonable allotment of time. There is NO reason to have a car in either city - in fact it would border on insanity.

You need to define, in dollar or euro terms, what "not too expensive" means to you before anyone can offer appropriate suggestions for hotels. Generally speaking, though, there is no reason to stay outside of Paris.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 02:19 PM

5 Days in Rome is enough to see a bunch of sites but I'd say there is never enough time in Rome that is why so many people go back. It is my favourite city. The Hotel Emile in the Marais is in a wonderful location (it used to be the Hotel Sevigne) however it is more expensive at $150 per night (not as good a deal anymore) but it is right next to St. Paul metro and a brilliant place to get anywhere in the city. They semm to have some kind of open plan bathroom which is not getting rave reviews though. The hotel is an easy 10 - 15 minute walk to Notre Dame for example. If you check out trip advisor for budget hotels you might get just what you are looking for though. I would definitely stay in the city - the marais is my favourite area as walking around Paris at all hours is part of the huge bonus of being there. Also I would highly recommend the Fat Bike Tour of Versailles. It was marvelous - as a tourist you don't realize how large this property is. Walking around and seeing as much as we did on the bikes would take forever.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 03:01 PM

Sounds nice to me.
No need for a car in either place. We used a pre booked car service to travel from Rome airport to hotel. Great, easy, helpful service. Car provided refreshments and WiFi on drive. I am not a tour lover....just go with the flow and see the sights that interest you, stay longer if intrigued by one, move on if one disappoints. Walking through Rome is nice, and easy. Taxis are easy to find if you need one.
We trained into Paris so can't advise on airport to hotel transfers there. We stayed between St Michel and Cluny Sorbonne metro stations - loved the area, the convenience of multiple metro stops, very close to NotreDame and Ste Chapelle. There are lots of reasonable hotels in Paris - stay central, not out of city. You need to be wandering the streets of The City of Light at night, not catching a train out to suburbia!
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

thank you all very much so thinking of the rome/paris looking at hotels $150-$175 do you know the Alante Star Hotel...i hear it is beautiful any thoughts? also any particular hotel in Paris for that amount of money? thank you
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 08:26 AM

Not heard much about Alante Star Hotel but its location mid-way between St. Peters Square and Castle St. Angelo is pretty good.

Some comparably priced places in Paris:

http://www.hotel-cluny.fr/hotel-clun...-paris-en.html

http://www.paris-hotel-7art.com/
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 06:32 PM

You will want to stay in Paris, even if you stay in one of the higher number arrondisements. You will not want to drive in Paris. The Metro & bus systems are very easy to use. I favor the 6th, but you might also consider the 11th, 14th or 15th for less expensive hotels.

You might take a look at Trip Advisor to find hotels in your price range. Try to find ones close to a Metro station or bus stop to make coming into central Paris fast.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 07:36 AM
ira

Hi C,

> looking at hotels $150-$175...<

In Paris, we always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 130E dbl + bkfst. It is just around the corner from Place St. Sulpice, near 3 metro stops and 4 bus routes. Has AC and an elevator.

The staff speaks English well, and is very helpful. The front desk is staffed 24/7

They can arrange a shuttle pickup to/from CDG for you.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
[email protected]
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search the forum" box.