Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   One day sightseeing from Zebrugge - opinions please (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/one-day-sightseeing-from-zebrugge-opinions-please-504742/)

travelinwifey Feb 17th, 2005 10:45 AM

One day sightseeing from Zebrugge - opinions please

Hello, we will be spending one day in Belgium while on a mediterranean cruise. Out of these excursions which do you think is the best choice? I like midievil history and am leaning towards Bruges & Ghent for the day....any opinions? Thanks for your insight.

Bruges & Ghent - visit St. Bavo's Cathedral. Enjoy a city walk of the Belfry, Town Hall, Our Lady's Church and Gothic Chapel. End with a 30 min. boat ride along Bruges canals. Full day tour.

Best of Brussels - This involves a 2 hour bus ride each way. Visit Brussels old town with a walking tour of the old city. Continue past Town Hall and St. Hubert Gallerie, wind down Butchers' Street and visit the Manneken-Pis. Full day tour.

Midevil Ghent & Belgian Chocolates - Walk over St. Michael's Bridge to watch a chocolate making demonstration. Visit St. Bavo's cathedral. 4 hour tour.

Ypes - In Flanders Fields - Visit Ypres and Tyne Cot Cementary. Visit Flanders Fields Museum. 5 hour tour.

Antwerp City Highlights & Diamondland - Take a guided walk through Antwerp Old Town, proceeding to Groenplaats. Visit Our Lady's Cathedral and on to Diamondland. Full day tour.

Again, I'm leaning towards Bruges and Ghent but will we be missing something if we don't see Brussels? Also Brussels is a 2 hour drive each way....

BTilke Feb 17th, 2005 10:56 AM

Take the Bruges and Ghent option. I'm a fan of Brussels, but it's not the kind of place you enjoy on a one day superficial tour...you need time to appreciate it. I'm not sure what they're planning to show you (Mannekin Pis, for example) really is the best of Brussels, anyway.
After Bruges and Ghent, my choices, in order would be
1. Ypres
2. Antwerp
3. Ghent and chocolates
4. Brussels

PalQ Feb 17th, 2005 11:11 AM

Definitely go for Ghent and Bruges over Brussels, one of Europe's most disappointing cities for me and many others.

MyriamC Feb 17th, 2005 01:28 PM

Another vote for the Brugge & Gent tour. You won't be disappointed!

Patrick Feb 17th, 2005 01:45 PM

I'm not sure, but I don't think I'd sign up for any day trip from a cruise line that calls a stop in Belgium part of a "Mediterranean Cruise". I'd be afraid of their getting me lost!

semiramis Feb 17th, 2005 02:25 PM

Bruges and Ghent option

travelinwifey Feb 17th, 2005 03:58 PM

Lol, Patrick, I called it a mediterranean cruise :D We stop in 7 other European ports also.

Well, by unanimous decision Bruges and Ghent it will be it! I really appreciate your input BTilke, PalQ, MyriamC, and Semiramis.

I'm definitely looking forward to Bruges now. The chocolate factory also sounded good =P~, we'll save it for when we go back some day.

Again, thanks so much, you guys are great!