Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   One day on the Amalfi coast (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/one-day-on-the-amalfi-coast-1165145/)

nyusual Dec 8th, 2016 05:03 AM

One day on the Amalfi coast

We will have 1.5 days for the Amalfi coast in December.

We are a family of four with kids 14 and 9.

Is December a good time to do a day cruise on the Amalfi coast? Are there are any half day cruises or 8 hour cruise the norm?

Next day we will go to Pompeii and drive up to Rome by evening.

Is the above itinerary doable and practical?

Grazie

travelhorizons Dec 8th, 2016 06:35 AM

Not sure much will be open on the Amalfi Coast in December, and not sure whether there will be cruises. (There may be regular ferry service).

Even if you could, why would you plan to spend 4-8 hours on the water in winter?

I'd skip the Amalfi Coast and concentrate on Pompeii, Herculaneum, and the Archeological Museum in Naples.

suec1 Dec 8th, 2016 06:51 AM

It may not be very pleasant! but the views will still be there. Do you have a car? you might want to drive it because it should not be too crowded. Or you could take the public bus....the schedules should be online somewhere or maybe a link will be posted. IF it were me, I'd hire a car service so no one has to be the vigilant driver! Or play it by ear / see what the weather is and do the bus if it is nice - go to Naples and hang out in museums if not!

annhig Dec 8th, 2016 07:06 AM

I'm not clear where you will be staying. if you are staying in one of the Amalfi towns, you would be better off perhaps hiring a driver for the day and doing a tour of the area.

If not I would concentrate on Pompeii and Naples. The centre of the city is very interesting and Christmassy - your kids would love the Via S. Gregorio Armeno for example which is packed full of shops selling every sort of figure and decoration for Precepi [nativity scenes].

i think that Suec and I are reading from the same page!

isabel Dec 8th, 2016 08:28 AM

You say you have one and a half days - so I assume that means one night somewhere. I'd pick Sorrento, itself a nice town with some good views. If your full day is good weather then take the bus to Positano and Amalfi for the day. You can see both in a day. If the ferry is running you could do ferry one way and bus the other, but the bus ride really is fabulous (although people prone to motion sickness think it less so).

On the other hand if the weather is not good then spend the time in Popmpeii, Herculaneum and Naples. You really need more than one day to do all three of those.

nyusual Dec 8th, 2016 08:34 AM

Thanks fellow travellers. Your opinions are much appreciated.

Blueeyedcod Dec 9th, 2016 01:55 AM

Ferries stop running end of October and don't start again until April.
Many shops and businesses are seasonal and therefore will be closed.

nyusual Dec 26th, 2016 06:53 PM

Spent 4 hours in Pompeii and then got to Amalfi. Got a beautiful place facing the water with a well stocked kitchen. Thanks all.