Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One Day Loop In Scotland (Edinburgh Area)

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Bill

My wife and I will have one day only to take a short driving tour out of Edinburg (in mid-September). I was thinking of a loop that covered the coast along the firth, up to St. Andrews, then over to Stirling castle then back to Edinburgh. Doable in one day? I am experienced driver in UK so that is not issue, just wondering more if time will permit. We are not golfers so the draw of St Andrews is not the golf but the city - what I have read about it makes it sound very interesting aside from the golf.

Any input and ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Bill

Before the flamers and slammers start up, PLEASE forgive my typo on the spelling of Edinburgh in the first part of the earlier post. I am SO SORRY!!!!!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Keith

Forgiven!

I think you might want to consider either Fife / St Andrews or Stirling rather than try to do them all. You could easily spend a morning driving slowly round the East Neuk (St Monans, Pittenweem, Anstruther and Crail) to St Andrews, then visit the Castle and the Abbey in the afternoon. If you do this, stop for lunch at the Craw's Nest Hotel in Anstruther which serves (in my opinion) the best fish & chips I've ever had - the fish is fresh that morning.

Also, take some time just to wander round St Andrews - see parts of the University and if it's a sunny day don't forget to buy ice cream at Janetta's on South Street (the end by the abbey, not the West Port.) You should also take time to pass the Old Course, even if you're not a golfer (like me - and I went to school in St Andrews.)

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:56 AM
janis

unfortunately you have spelled out two different day trips so you will have to pick one.

Either is very doable

1) The East Neuk fishing villages (Pittenweem, Anstruther, Crail), St Andrews (Castle, Cathedral, University bldgs and a quick look at the old course), Flakland Palace and gardens. This would be a VERY full day trip.

2) Stirling (at least 3 hours at the castle), Doune Castle, Inchmahome Priory and, if time permits, a short drive through the Trossachs/Queen Elizabeth Forest Park. This would also be a very full day.

A 3rd option would combine Stirling, Dollar/Castle Campbell and Culross.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Tony Hughes

Kirkcaldy (my home town), home town of the Economist Adam Smith. Also the home to Sandford Fleming who 'invented' time zones that were adopted by the world.

Lower Largo, where my ancestor Alexander Selkirk came from. There's a statue to him there. He was the 'real' Robinson Crusoe.

Anstruther. For a taste of what Fife coastal towns used to be like.

St Andrews. Drive through the West Port, have an ice-cream at the much overrated Janettas, go down into the cave-thing in the castle, stare at the bottle dungeon where John Knox was thrown for some apparent misdemenour.

All above in Fife. Email me if you need any further info. Keith, agree about craw's nest.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Bill

Thanks to all of you. I am leaning to the day trip to St Andrews and back as that seems to be more intersting. We have seen many castles in our travels through Europe so I am thinking we can get by without seeing another on at Stirling (although I know it would be most interesting). We both like to poke about smaller towns and villages so the drive along the coast to St Andrews sounds like an ideal and nice day out (depending on weather of course). We are drawing near to our departure (exactly 59 days from today) and are ready. This is our first trip to Scotland, but have been to England many times. We are also going to Ireland after Scotland so we are looking forward to it very much. One more question for you, since you all are natives....should I try haggis?

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Tony Hughes

Try it? Why yes of course BUT try it from someone elses plate first before ordering a whole one, Bill. Good luck with your trip planning.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Sheila

Don't fall for that T Hughes stuff about Kirkcaldy Bill. As the poem has it...

"Ye can tell yersel, by the queer like smell,
The next stop's Kirkcaldy"

That Legg lad's a Fifer too. You're gtting some right prejudiced advice here.

St. Andrews with its ancient university, its cathedral (we do have a lot of them, don't we?) and the home of golf, the Royal and Ancient is seriously worth a visit. It has one of the best beaches in the world- the West Sands, which is where they filmed the opening sequence of Chariots of Fire- shame about the weather- and one of the best ice cream shops in the world (Jannetta's) apart from being a lovely little town. Try a trip underneath the castle. It can be a bit of a squeeze so if you are claustrophobic then probably best to pass on this one. John Knox used to live in this castle - also get chance to see the bottle dungeon - according to (Tony’s) dad, he was imprisoned there as a student for charity or something - some horrific stories he keeps for special occasions.

Over the Forth Road Bridge to Fife,and just over the river Dunfermilne is on your left. Robert the Bruce, the hero king who won Bannockburn is buried here in Dunfermilne Abbey (although his heart is buried at Melrose in the borders); go back onto the main road and you will shortly come to Loch Leven and Loch Leven castle where Mary Queen of Scots was. (v. romantic..the story of the escape- she then fled to her cousin in England for succour. She locked her up for 20 years then beheaded her.

and Vane Farm Bird Reserve on the other side of the Loch.

Just across the Firth of Forth from Edinburgh there's a stretch of picture-postcard little fishing villages, with Anstruther, Crail, Crail and Pittenweem, St Monans Largo and Leven etc, leading toward St Andrews.

In Anstruther visit the fishing museum, Then have the best fish in the world for your lunch. After that drive along the coast to Largo, home of the 'original' Robinson Crusoe. When Daniel Defoe wrote about Robinson Crusoe, he was writing about a real person. His name was Alexander Selkirk and he came from Largo in Fife. Defoe was an English spy up in Scotland in the 1700's and nicked the story.

Restaurants in the area which are very good would include the Ostler's Close in Cupar, the Cellar in Anstruther, the Cellar in St Monan's and the Peat Inn at Peat Inn.

For hiking, there's the Fife Coastal path that runs along the entire coast.
which is also open to the public.

There are lots of other nice places, like Ceres, and Falkland Palace

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 02:55 PM
KT

Now, Sheila, don't be hasty about Kirkcaldy. Perhaps Bill has a profound interest in the history and manufacture of linoleum, in which case he will be enthralled.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 03:05 PM
John

The St Andrews loop is good; also a similar loop can be done on the south side of the firth, through East Lothian and along the coast down to the border, then back across the Lammermuir Hills to Edinburgh. Sixty days from now equals late September? If so, lovely autumn scenery and color is possible.