Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One day Lake Como enroute Milan-Venice Smart location for night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Joanne

Planning to arrive in Milan versus Venice, which is our final destination, so that we can spend a day/night on Lake Como. I realize it's short but we don't have much time.Arrive Milan 8am on a Sunday and will leave Monday for Venice.What is best locataion on Lake Como to stay for the night so that we make best use of time, get to see Bellagio, which seems to be "the" place to visit?We can use public transportation or drive.If latter, presume we could drop car off in Venice.Thanks.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 05:47 AM
curt

I like the very nice hotel Barchetta Excelsior right on the main lake front square in Como. Nice rooms with good views of lake. If you have car they provide parking (at a cost of course). If you use train from Milan it is a short walk from Como station to the hotel. The ferry docks are right at the foot of the square the hotel faces so you could use that method to get to Bellagio, or if you have a car it is an easy drive from Como along the lake shore (although the road can be narrow and testing at times).<BR><BR>I have not driven to Venice so can not vouch for that. We drove back to Milan, turned in the car, and took the train to Venice. If you are using train only you can leave right from Como and I suspect will have to connect in Milan to the Venice train.<BR><BR>The Barchetta Excelsior has a nice web site if you search for it.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 06:39 AM
GAC

Other good hotels in Como City are the Terminus, the Metropole Suisse and the Palace. Another good place to spend the night is Varenna (Du Lac, Royal Victoria, Milano or Olivedo)

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:57 AM

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Joanne

Thanks for hotel advice.Was really wondering which location e.g. Como town, Varenna, Bellagio, etc. would allow us most efficient use of time. Is Varenna easier to get to/from Milan airport than Como or is it a wash? Thanks.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Rex

One night at Lake Como. It almost seems as tragic as one night on a honeymoon. Like Romeo and Juliet got. Hope your husband doesn't end up killing your cousin later the day afterwards!<BR><BR>But maybe better than no honeymoon.<BR><BR>Alternative to Bellagio - - since you are gonna hate yourself for the one night there - - might be Sirmione on Lake Garda. Slightly easier to get there and back out the next day - - and leaves you with a much shorter drive to Venice.<BR><BR>And then come back and spend "a month at the lake" - - as Vanessa Redgrave did, in the movie (or was it "a year at the lake" - - I forget - - anyhow, filmed at my favorite - - Villa Balbianello).<BR><BR>Ms. Redgrave is apparently the only person ever allowed to spend the night there since Signor Monzino died (in 1988?)<BR><BR>Pedantically yours...<BR><BR>and as always...<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 11:01 AM
GAC

If you want to be practical, Como would be your choice. If you want to be romantic, nothing beats Varenna. On Sundays, there are only two direct SPT buses from Malpensa to Como (1 hour trip), where you can connect by hydrofoil or ferry boat to Varenna. See schedule at www.sptcomo.it. You can also reach Varenna by train from Milano Central Station. On Sundays, there is a departure at 10:10 a.m. (which you will likely miss) and at 12:15 p.m. Travel time approx. 65 minutes. There is also frequent service to Como from both Milano Centrale and Milano Cadorna Stations. Schedules at www.trenitalia.com. From Malpensa, there are coaches leaving every 20 minutes for the Central Station (1 hour. trip)

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 12:32 PM
ttt

topping<BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Tybalt and Mercutio

Nice to be remember-ed.<BR><BR>On this day infamous for killing.<BR><BR>Good Friday to you all.<BR><BR>And good morrow to you, sir.<BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Dale

Too funny!<BR>