One Day in Zurich-What To Do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend is meeting me in Zurich in April. His first time. He arrives on a Wed morning at 8 and I won't arrive until 10;30 that night so his whole day is free. He'll have a railpass. he likes museums among other things.

If you had only one day what might you suggest he do that would be possibly unforgettable?

Thanks
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:00 PM

Hi Dukey,

Where else will he be travelling to? Will he be seeing any other mountains or lakes?

I suggest he get to Luzern, with its stunning scenery of mountains-spilling-into-lakes and also its transportation museum.

Info at

www.luzern.com

s
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:43 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Or maybe hop a train and head to Engelberg - beautiful resort town and home of the Titlis.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for those suggestions.
We are going to be staying overnight that night and then taking the train to Chur and changing to the Bernina Express the next day so he'll get a scenery "fix" for sure.

I have already mentioned to him the possibility of taking the train to Luzern if only for a real change of scene in terms of the townscape (vs. Zurich). I'll mention the possibility of Engelberg as well.

Again, I really do appreciate your taking the time to make these comments.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 04:37 AM
ira

Hi Du,

Zurich has an Old Town, A very nice stroll along the river, boat rides on the Zurichsee, the Reitberg and Swiss National Museums, and the Zoological Gardens.

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 04:46 AM

Against common believe, the city of Zürich itself is a great place to spend a day -- some people actually spend even more days there ;-)

You'll find the Swiss Museum / Landesmuseum (focused on history and arts of Switzerland) near the Central Station, and more art museums & galleries downtown.

The upscale shopping district of Bahnhofstrasse is also worth seeing - if only to finally end at Sprüngli on Paradeplatz to sample their world-famous handmade chocolates (some of them made from fresh cream, and can only be stored for one day).

If you need time to relax, you can take a (short or long) cruise of the big lake a stone's throw away from Sprüngli's.

Or try to lose those extra calories by exploring the old town / Niederdorf on the other side of River Limmat.

Or take the train up to Uetliberg to take the "Walk of the Stars", and cable car and train back to Zürich.

But Luzern is also very nice
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Hey Dukey! We are heading to Switzerland this June ...again! We are staying in Luzern before heading on to Zurich for the flight back. If it's a pretty day, I would suggest that. If not, he will have plenty to see and do in Zurich. He can leave luggage in the train station or have it forwarded by rail.

I saw in your profile that you are going to Cape Town. I would love to share some of my trip notes with you. My husband and I were there 4 years ago and had a GRRREAT time! You can email me at this screen name at aol.com
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 09:52 AM

Stein am Rhein. Some of the best preserved painted buildings I have ever seen.

http://www.luxurytraveler.com/stein_am_rhein.html
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Hello Duke:

As others have suggested, urge your friend to walk the Bahnhofstrasse and have a nice lunch at the Baur Au Lac Hotel right on the Zurichsee. Then, at the cocktail hour, tell him to take the sightseeing boat on the Zurichsee and disembark at Raperswil. Have dinner at any one of the nice restaurants on the lake and return to Zurich Hbf by train. A wonderful day. Gradyghost
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 02:35 AM

I used to live in Zurich and would say that there is a very long list of things to see and do there. I have posted pretty often with suggestions, two to look for would be “One Day in Zurich” at http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...n-zurich-2.cfm and “2 Days in Zurich” at http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...n-zurich-1.cfm. For restaurant suggestions see “Dining in Zurich” at http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...uggestions.cfm (Note that the Zimmerleuten guild hall had a fire last year and I believe it is still closed, along with the Kuferstbuli below it. Check with your hotel.) And for souvenir shopping see “Quick Souvenir Spots for Zurich” at http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...for-zurich.cfm

You might also try http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...o-in-march.cfm but these suggestions may be for longer trips than you want and are oriented toward children in March.

Weather in April can be iffy, could have overcast skies and rain or even light snow, its hard to say. Could even luck out and get a warm and clear day. So partially I would let the weather perhaps decide as well. A boat trip in the fog is not that scenic (neither is Lucerne, you won’t see the Alps).

If you can tell me what day in April you will be there, I may have specific reccos, esp if the visit is around April 20 as that is Sechseläuten and is a spring holiday festival celebrated only in Zurich. There are events leading up to it which take place a day or so before it as well, which may coincide with your visit.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. He arives on the morning of the 15th; we depart early on the morning of the 16th for Chur and the Bernina Express.