One day in Zermatt - any suggestions?

Old Jan 7th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

One day in Zermatt - any suggestions?

My husband and I will be arriving in Bern from the US, taking a train to Zermatt for one night on our way to Milan. I know we will be tired! Anyone have advice on what to do in our short time in Zermatt? Gornergratbahn? Just walking the town? ... please let me know.
Thanks!
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 08:20 AM

We could help you better if you would provide which month and what time that you arrive in Zermatt.

Assuming warm month and therefore more daylight, I'd ride the ski lift up to the base of the Matterhorn. It's really imposing up close. If you're into astronomy, do the Gornergratbahn as there is an observatory at the top.

If it's dark--walk the village, but get off the main path. It's a ski town, but the side alleys have really OLD wooden huts that are interesting and there is the climber cemetary near the largest church.

We liked it there.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

We will arrive around 1 pm on a day in May. We plan on staying overnight and then taking a train to Milan the next day (2 or 3 pm). Thanks.

PinkCoyote- Have you been on the Gornergratbahn? I looked at the info about it and we are considering it... any thoughts?
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 03:56 PM

My wife and I rode the Glacier Express to Zermatt for one night on our way to Paris. Just being in Zermatt was a rush!!
We don't ski; we went to see the Matterhorn, and see it we did!! We were there durng the last week in April a few years ago.Take the Gornergrat cog rail to the top and have beer while sitting outside enjoying the view of the Matterhorn. Don't worry about looking stupid thinking only skiers would be using this cog rail. We were not the only others on the trip back down. Peek in the chapel while at the top of Gornergrat. Oh yes, you may stay the night in a bunk/cot at the hostel; we opted for a big bed with lots of fluffy comforters. Walk the town. Visit the cemetery. Order a Swiss fondue.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 09:53 AM

We didn't do the Gornergrat, only the gondola. Looks like Roce48 has good advice for you. Best--
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 10:20 AM

Do you know what? This is a totally ridiculous question. You want to go to Zermat (on the way to Milan which is nowhere on the route) and you don't know what to do?
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 11:30 PM

The Gornergrat is probably the most popular excursion, but the cable cars to Klein Matterhorn (which I think PinkCoyote is referring to?), and the funicular to Sunegga are other options. The funicular isn't scenic until you get off of it, but once you do... all of the above offer fantastic views of the Matterhorn from different vantage points and nice hikes, although May is an iffy season for hiking.

I have details on our most recent trip to the Gornergrat and Sunegga here if you're interested (including a link to photos):

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-walkabout.cfm