One Day in Tuscany - What To Do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, not really, but we have been convinced to spend one of our three days in Tuscany day tripping to Florence (courtesy of this forum). We are staying in San Gimignano, and have a car. We will arrive on Tuesday from Venice (mid afternoon), so we will probably stay close to SG that day. Wednesday it is Florence, and Friday we go to Siena to drop the car off and spend the night there. So...that leaves Thursday open. We have a 5 year old with us, so we will be not focusing on a whole lot of pure sightseeing by car, nor will fine restaurants be a high priority. I don't think a winery stop would be a great idea either (what a pity!) My idea is a nice scenic drive in the morning, with a lunch visit at a nearby town, some casual hiking in the afternoon, and some more touring in the afternoon. Possibly dinner back in SG that night or in another (yet unvisited town). Pisa, Volterra, Monteriggioni are all within easy driving distance. Also, is the coastal drive between Cecina and Livorno picturesque, or not worth the effort? We are aware that we will eventually wind up with a cranky 5 year old if we do too much. All suggestions are most welcome.

gravysandwich
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 04:36 AM
ira

topping
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Brevity is the soul of wit, but I am not sure what your response meant, ira.

gravysandwich
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:38 AM

gravysandwich, "topping" is used often here as a way of bringing your post to the top so it won't get lost in the shuffle. It should be taken as a favor.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:46 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"My idea is a nice scenic drive in the morning, "

The drive to Volterra is very scenic. Get there about lunch time, an there is a nice park located near an old fortress (we picnicked there in 2001). Your five year old can run around.

After lunch, walk through Volterra, and as you get to the other side of town you can look down on some 1 BC ruins.

Perhaps someone else can fill you in on some hikes, too. Have fun.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks tcreath (and ira). I am a moresavvy traveler and fodors.com poster thanks to you. As far as I knew, ira was referring to what you put on a gelato banana split! Also, thanks maitatom for your response. Volterra does sound like a good destination. I have yet to hear much about Pisa from this forum. I thought it would be neat to see it, but we would dispense with the tower climb. Also, is the coastal drive that I mentioned in my first post worth pursuing?

Keep those cards and letters coming!

gravysandwich
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 09:33 AM

I'm not a five-year-old (although my wife might disagree), but I think if you went to Volterra, you should skip Pisa (too long a day). The only reason I will go back on my trip in September is to say I climbed the tower,and the people we're traveling with this trip have never been there.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 09:34 AM

Wow, what happened to my sunglasses?