One Day in Paris, What Must I See?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Paris a short time and want to gather opinions on must see places. I will be arriving in Paris on Friday, May 27th, 2005 in the afternoon. I assume I will be exhausted after flying from Arizona USA through London, to Paris. Saturday I plan to attend the French Open tennis tournament, so that leaves me all day Sunday. I will be leaving Monday morning back to London to take a cruise. The cruise does stop back near Paris somewhere so I will take their excursion into Paris to see the Louvre. I will be staying somewhere near the Eiffel Tower. What should I do on my full Sunday in Paris?
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 09:45 PM

My suggestions would include the Eiffel tower, the Musee d'Orsay (Monet, Renoir, Degas... oh my!) a lazy hour or two sipping wine or coffee & people watching at a sidewalk cafe & end the day with a Seine river cruise and a wonderful French dinner.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 03:04 AM

LisaLou has it right. The only thing I would add: Allow for time to stroll along the river when you leave the Musee D'Orsay...toward the Ile de la Cite and Ile St. Louis. Wander the Iles before catching the river cruise at sunset.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 06:18 AM
ira

Hi Paris,

I suggest that you buy a day ticket for the Batobus. Make a loop of the city and stop for an hour or so at each of the stops that catch your eye.

See www.batobus.com
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 06:54 AM

the previous advice is good.since you only have 1 day, if there is a long queue for the tower's elevator, use the stairs.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 08:50 AM

If I only had a day, though I love museums, I would probably skip going inside and just talk a few long walks, with some stops at sidewalk cafes. The neighborhood gardens and parks will be in full bloom. Enjoy.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 10:39 AM

If the day is sunny I would head straight for the Sainte-Chapelle and skip going up in the Eiffel Tower. Although it's no longer possible to go out onto the roof of the Musée d'Orsay, you can get a very nice view through the windows on the top floor.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 10:51 AM

I lived in Paris for 6 months, and I'd say unless you're an art fanatic, skip the museums. The Mona Lisa looks just like all of the pictures, and good luck making your way to the front of the pack of Japanese tourists with their fancy digital cameras. My list of must-sees would be Eiffel Tower, Notre-Dame, Opera Garnier 9the inside is incredible), and Champs-Elysee. If you have time, Sacre-Coeur (in Montmartre) is awesome too
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 10:57 AM

I agree with the suggestion of the Sacre-Coeur. Not only is it a beautiful church, but the view from there is incredible- you can see so much of the landscape. Also, near the cathedral is a very "Parisian" street scene with the caricature artists, cafes, etc. It was one of my favorite areas in Paris!

Have fun
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 11:01 AM

At least you should pay a visit to the sculpture Rodin's museum, and if you have time also the Orangerie.
After that, what about a great dinner at Fermette Marbeuf?
Bjorn, Oslo
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 12:47 PM

Theh Orangerie is still closed.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 03:16 PM

So even with a scant three days, I wouldn't be panned if I end up skipping the Louvre? Of course if there are April showers when I'm in Paris it will be easier to get me indoors. One of the things not frequently mentioned here is the Luxembourg Gardens. I had assumed I wanted to fit it in. Is that on all/any of your must see lists?
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 03:32 PM

I wouldn't put the Lux Garden on my must see list, although it is beautiful. But I do agree with Bjorn; the Rodin Museum Garden is fantanstic. I would skip going into the d'Orsay and spend an hour with "The Thinker" and alot of other Rodin's. It's also really inexpensive (under E2)if you don't also go into the Museum. Although there is great Impresionist art in the d'Orsey, there's more right here in NYC so, if that's your thing, come visit the Big Apple. A sunday in Paris is a great day just to walk around.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 03:56 PM
dln

I'd take an hour to go on one of the Vedettes that cruise the Seine. It's wonderful to see Paris from the river. At night is even better!

Underhill, it is possible to go out on the rooftop terrace of the Musee D'Orsay. We did it while we were there.

And speaking of rooftops--Parisfirst, duck into the department store Galleries Lafayette on Blvd. Haussmann. Take the escalator up to the 6th floor and then walk the remaining stairs up to the roof. It's clearly marked. Great views for free up there, and if you're thirsty, you can buy yourself a drink at the terrace cafe.

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 04:56 PM

I would agree with Underhill, on a sunny day, go to St. Chappelle. Then maybe climb Notre Dame with a pretty damsel.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 05:30 PM

I was in Paris for a few weeks this Spring, and while I enjoyed several visits to Luxembourg Gardens, I am not sure they'd be at the top of my list. The Rodin Sculpture Gardens are interesting and can be covered in a few hours- and have a tartine at their terrific cafe.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 05:32 PM
tomc

If you decide to includ the museums in your day in Paris be SURE to get a museum pass. It may or may not save you money but it WILL save you time and that seems to be your main issue. With the museum pass you can go right to the head of the line. One day 18 Euros...availabe at the large Metro stations.

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Take a guided tour of the Bastille and buy a brick from the gift shop. Make sure you bring a flashlight and light jacket as its dark and chilly in the underground dungeons.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you so much for all the great information. I would never have thought to do a Seine River cruise and think I will do that at night. I also would not have thought of slowing down and enjoying a walk along the river or in the beautiful gardens described. I might be able to squeeze in a walk the morning of the French Open day, giving me more time on Sunday for all the great ideas listed. Keep writing, the postings are great advise.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 04:31 AM

The first thing I would be sure to see is Ste. Chapelle. After that, take a stroll on the Ile de St. Louis, stoping for some Berthillon ice cream if it is a warm day. Then I would walk along the Seine to the D'Orsay, especially for the Impressionists. Ordinarily, I would suggest continuing to the Rodin Museum but we were there last month and there is a lot of construction underway, including a large temporary building in the rose garden. Perhaps a walk through the Luxembourg Gardens and the 6th Arrondisement and a stop at the Cafe Bonaparte to watch the passing scene. Don't miss the sparkling Eiffel Tower after dark - every hour for 10 minutes. An evening cruise on the Seine, ending with a delicious dinner, would be a perfect day for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -