One day in Naples - where to stay?

Mar 12th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

One day in Naples - where to stay?

I would appreciate your advice on this. We want to spend one day/night in Naples to visit the Archaelogical Museum, traveling with a car. Should we stay outside the city and take public transport in for the day, or find an in-city hotel, maybe with parking? My husband is a fearless driver so we don't mind facing the traffic but not sure what parking will be like. We'll be visiting Vesuvius, Paestum and Pompeii on other days of our trip - suggestions for good base/bases to stay for those?
thanks!
Mar 12th, 2005, 05:36 AM

Sorry, I can't answer your hotel question,but I just wanted to say how happy I was to see that you are not skipping Napoli on the Pompeii/Vesuvio circuit! I was there recently and the Archaeological Museum is a must if you're also visiting Pompeii,especially the Secret Cabinet-ancient erotica,fascinating. Have some pizza for me!

If you want some info,you can go to www.contextnaples.com. The Context Rome people have opened an office there and offer walking tours of Naples and Pompeii. I spent a day with Marialaura last month and she was great!
Mar 12th, 2005, 04:58 PM
ira

Hi Ital,

Hard to tll you what to do w/o more info.

Is there a reason why you will have a car in or around Naples - the most chaotic city on Earth?

Mar 12th, 2005, 05:06 PM

The Ambassador Hotel in Naples is one you might want to check out. I think it is part of the Jolly Hotel Group. Go to www.google.com and type in the name. Beautiful view of the Bay of Naples.

My late husband was a fearless driver too and did not have a problem in Naples. When we checked into the hotel they took care of garaging our rental car. And brought it to us when we wanted it.
Mar 13th, 2005, 07:29 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Jolly which was within walking distance from the ferries and about a 15 min. walk to the Archeological Museum. I wouldn't want to drive in Naples though- very chaotic. The hotel itself was a high rise, clean but the A/C had a hard time keeping up with the heat. It cost us about 100 euro per night. Try their web site.
Mar 13th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Are you going to Naples just to see this Museum? If so, I'd stay somewhere outside of the city and get public transport or a taxi to the museum. If you want to see Naples (although you'll need longer than a day), then stay somewhere down by the water. I personally wouldn't drive in the city. It has nothing to do with being fearless, it has to do with having the experience and knowledge of driving there- where the rules are not self evident. If you don't have that, I'd skip the driving.