Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   one day in loire valley, doable? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/one-day-in-loire-valley-doable-507585/)

mohan Feb 27th, 2005 09:28 AM

one day in loire valley, doable?

I know there are many postings on this and yes, i have read most of them.
I am going to be in paris for 10 days starting next week. I have made arrangments for accomodation for the entire duration of stay and can't change.
Loire valley keeps popping into my mind. It was voted as one of the 10 best 'countryside?' by national geographic. i thought I would save it for the next trip. But let's say if i want to spend one day there just to get an idea. Where would i go? I won't have time for chatteau or wine-tasting. i don't need to visit any particular tourist sites (although I have a soft spot for old stained glass windows and i enjoy walking in villages). Should I get car-rental all the way or take the train and then rent a car? I guess with a car we (2 of us) can cover more ground. Is it difficult to drive in and out Paris? we don't read french, what about road signs?

thankyou

tomboy Feb 27th, 2005 09:59 AM

All a matter of taste, of course, but in Sept we spent 18 days driving around France, with about 3 in Loire. If we did it over, would have spent 1 day, using the 2 freed-up days in Burgundy.
Use of a car would permit inclusion of Chartres. There may be other near-equals.
I didn't find the road signs intimidating, for anyone that can read a map and knows the names of towns in the direction in which headed.

mohan Feb 27th, 2005 10:35 AM

tomboy: Did you drive in and out of Paris?

Underhill Feb 27th, 2005 10:46 AM

the loire valley is famous for its magnificent châteaux--if those don't interest you, why go? there are any number of other regions that have cathedrals with stained-glass windows and charming villages.

nytraveler Feb 27th, 2005 11:47 AM

Exactly - the chateaux are the primary reason to see the Loire - and they represent the entire reason for its importance in France/French hisotry. Without seeing a couple of them there would be little point.

If you get an early start from paris you can easily see either two chateaux or one chateau and one town (suggest Amboise - charming and with a chateau), have anice kunch and get back to Paris in tiem for a late dinner. Driving in France in easy - and road signs - except for place names - are mostly symbols - the same across europe.

travelbunny Feb 27th, 2005 12:25 PM

..if you do a day trip to the loire (for the chateaux), one of the tour companies (I think Parisvision) has a one day but trip which includes several of the chateaux)..hastlefree

althom1122 Feb 27th, 2005 12:36 PM

I think a one-day trip to the Loire would be worth it if that's all you have. Agree with the idea of doing one chateau and maybe breezing through Amboise. Go for Chambord and/or Chenonceau - very different and both very interesting. You would probably have time for both if you did it quickly (although some would say that would be too rushed - but you could at least get the flavor - depends on your touring style).

mohan Feb 27th, 2005 01:32 PM

Thankyou all.
I guess i should leave Loire valley for the next trip. With 9 days in paris, maybe spending one day in nature or a quaint little town nearby is what i am looking for. Any suggestions?

RonZ Feb 27th, 2005 03:54 PM

There are a number of daytrips from Paris. The Chateau Vaux-le-Vicomte is a favorite of mine. I have a file--just request by e mail.