Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One day in Copenhagen, what would you do?

Apr 16th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Hello - DH will be in Copenhagen on the 22nd of April for one day of touring prior to a business meeting that begins the next day. If you had just one day, what sites would you definitely recommend seeing and are there any really special restaurants? Thanks
His hotel situation is still in flux so I can't say where he'll be able to begin any tour. Walking is his forte - thanks
Apr 16th, 2005, 04:13 PM
MNP

With only just one day, I would suggest making sure he makes it to beautiful Nyhavn (perhaps grab a beer and lunch), and in getting there he could make a trip down the shopping street of Stroget. Rosenborg castle and the gardens there are really pretty to spend sometime at as well. The castle houses some of the crown jewels.(though this may not intrest him) In the evening he may want to take a trip to Tivoli (maybe even grab dinner in here too), its a neat old amuzement park, and a nice place to sit and people watch over a beer or snack. If he's looking for something a little outside of the city Fredricksborg Castle is not to be missed. It is in Hillerod (about 30-45 minutes outside of Copenhagen) and is just amazing. The castle is set up as a musem in the inside. Anyways, those are just a few of my absolute favorite sites to see there and in my opinions the ones not to be missed.Though of course, I don't know what kind of things intrest your DH!

As for resturants there are so many wonderful ones in the city you really can't go wrong in many of them.

I hope he enjoys his trip, Copenhagen is one of my very favorite cities!
Apr 16th, 2005, 08:12 PM

MNP,
How would you compare Copenhagen's size to other European cities?
I know it's a walkable city, but is it compact like Amsterdam where you could walk from the very north to the very south of the city in an hour or so?
or is it huge like London and Paris?
Apr 16th, 2005, 10:20 PM

I'd say Copenhagen feels a tad bigger than Florence (I haven't gotten out the maps and a ruler, just going by how they feel to walk around).
Apr 16th, 2005, 10:24 PM

Funny how I've been almost every where in western Europe, but not to Italy yet!
Apr 16th, 2005, 10:27 PM

Thanks though!
Apr 16th, 2005, 10:36 PM

Copenhagen's an easily walkable city, no matter which one you compare it to.
Apr 17th, 2005, 07:24 AM
MNP

I agree with the others, its very walkable, You could easily spend the day walking around and be able to see a huge chunck of the sites and the town. You could probably walk from the main train station to the little mermaid in about an hours time (assuming you don't stop in all the shops on Stoget)

Its definately not as huge as Paris or London. I have yet to go to Amsterdam so Im afraid I can't compare the two. But in guessing, I would say Copenhagen is more compact like Amsterdam.

Apr 17th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Copenhagen is about the same size of Manhattan.
It doesn't like look a super model like Manhattan though, taaaall and thinnn, I would cut some of the length of Manhattan and add it to the side, and voila! New Amsterdam has the same shape and size of old Amsterdam !
Apr 17th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Maybe the larger Greater Copenhagen area is as large as Manhattan, but certainly not the historic central area.
Apr 17th, 2005, 08:22 AM

I ment to say Amsterdam was.....
I already told you I wasn't familiar with Copenhagen, my mistake though!
Apr 17th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

so, now that we've established the relative size of Copenhagen, what are the best sites to visit in the confines of a single day?
Apr 17th, 2005, 08:59 AM

I would do a canal cruise, which is great fun...but it will be CHILLY most likely..and then I would visit Tivoli Gardens, and just walk around for the balance. Copenhagen, as everyone pointed out, is very compact and easy to see via foot. The people are wonderful and you'll gave a great time.

When I say chilly, I mean it! I was there in June and ended up buying a wool sweater to wear, and when we took the canal cruise it was brisk, but it didn't dampen our spirits. It was a great time.
Apr 17th, 2005, 09:28 AM
ira

Hi cm,

Frederiksborg Slot is my favorite castle.

I would save Tivoli for the late evening. Maybe they will have fireworks.

Apr 17th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Ira is right: I did Tivoli at night and it was just magical.
Apr 18th, 2005, 06:36 AM

For certain I'd spend some hours in the Glyptotek, especially if it also houses a small concert that day.
And for certain I'd also enjoy a high sandwich lunch at Gitte Kik, an extraordinary exotic Danish experience. Right at Amager Torv or very close to it.
Beyond these? Nothing, if I only have one day. Maybe a stroll in Nyhavn? Maybe a rapid visit to Kronborg Castle in Helsingör? Or Louisanna art museum?
Bjorn, Oslo
Apr 18th, 2005, 05:55 PM

I spent one day in Copenhagen in September and enjoyed myself - took one of the hop/on/off bus tours of the city which took me everywhere - particularly enjoyed the little Mermaid - off the beaten track and the changing of the guard and the park and area of the port around there. Wonderful walking shopping area downtown to wander. Bus took me through area of the beautiful spired churches, but that's all you can do anyway - look as you can't climb them. The city was far more scenic and charming than I imagined. Everything is expensive; enjoy the standard white fish with lemon butter - it is everywhere.
Apr 18th, 2005, 07:01 PM

There are hop-on-hop-off buses selling their tickets at the city hall square near Tivoli that will take you from tourist place to place when you don't want to walk, but we walked for the most part. We toured for 2.5 days and particularly liked the Glyptotec and the modern art museum for art, lunch in Nyhavn (open sandwiches, herring, beer, aquavit), the castle, and the Carlsbad Brewery tour. Took a boat tour which was relaxing but chilly (North Sea winds). Stroget is just a pedestrian shopping street, which we weren't into. Tivoli at night has to be done -- it's a benign and fun old-time amusement park, with shows and fireworks and rides and themed restaurants. If you're lucky, you might score tickets for a concert or ballet or some jazz. Have fun!
Apr 18th, 2005, 07:04 PM
MNP

Bjorn is right, the Glyptotek is amazing and worth a visit. But unfortunatly it is under major construction right now and most of it is closed until 2006. I believe a very small section is still open, but not much.