Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One day in Budapest with 4 teens - Help me plan!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites,
This year we are flying to the States in April, with a one day layover in Budapest. We are a family of 6, including 4 "teens", ages 12 - 14. We've done this in other cities and the kids are used to the hustle of the day. What are some of the sites that you think the kids would like? They are not heavy into museums. Need some action and fun. But too old for zoos and playgrounds. Heard about the "Buda Triangle" and wonder if this is reasonable on a one day outing. Also, what foods/snacks are "must taste" for this city. THANKS in advance!!
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 04:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
tricky, the skate boarding area is on the heroes monument to the South of world unesco area. The castle area is worth dragging them up as it will burn off some energy and gets good views. There is a very expensive "waterbus" you know the thing drives into the river.

Food, well goulash I guess you know
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 05:03 AM

While the baths are great fun for adults, the sight of all those rinkled old prunes would gross-out the children. It was a little tough on me and I'm in my fifties.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 05:05 AM

good websites.. I would suggest strudel somewhere,i enjoyed mine at ruzwurm up on castle hill,

http://www.chew.hu/budget_budapest_rozi_neni_rete.html

http://www.budapest-tourist-guide.co...ee-houses.html

and of course

www.bestofbudapest.com is full of info.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 05:41 AM

Palacsinta!

They're large dessert pancakes, often stuffed with whipped cream and fruit.

You can even get them at fast-food stands.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 06:49 AM

I also think most teens would like the castle area for an hour of so. The views are spectacular, and there's a wide variety of buildings.

Assuming your children are able to bear the thought that old people exist -- then I think one of the historic thermal baths would be a great mix of history & fun. If you try the Szechenyi Baths, you can go on the cute (only word that fits) subway cars of the oldest subway in Europe.

For street food, I had langos (?sp) at the Central Market Hall, and judging by the list of toppings available for the fried dough, it must be popular. The market is a mix of tourist souvenirs and sausages/produce for the locals. And the pedestrian shopping area on Vaci U has trendy stores, if that would appeal to them.
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 05:51 AM

Check out Absolute Walking Tours (absolutetours.com), which by the way are free for 14 and under. They have young entergetic tour guides that give you a 3 1/2 hr. overview of the city. I too would suggest going to the Central Market Hall for wondering the markets, shopping, and a large selection of food vendors - all at reasonable prices.

Another great wb site for info on Budapest is everythingbudapest.com.

Have fun!
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 06:14 AM

A boat ride down the river might be fun.

If you go up on Castle Hill, the Labyrinth is very strange, and also might be fun for teens.

I second the Central Market Hall suggestion-we also had langos up in the food court area which was delicious. Fattening, but delicious!
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! I do love the folks on this site!
We are now thinking that we should take one night here instead of just a few hours. Obviously, we "could" spend many days here, but we do need to get to our destination! Any ideas for a reasonabley priced hotel? I am thinking trying to see the castle hill, the Szechenyi Baths (I think that they'd find all the wrinkled pruney people amusing!)and maybe the Central Market Hall for browsing and food. Do you think we would find Palacsinta or Langos there? Is it even reasonable to think of doing these three areas on one day? Thank you again for your help!
Old Dec 2nd, 2010, 06:38 AM

We stayed at the Carlton Hotel, very close to the Chain Bridge and the Funicular (is a fun way to get up Castle Hill, then walk down)on the Buda side. We found it convenient and it was very reasonably priced, very clean, with breakfast included. Would definitely stay there again.

I would think you could do Castle Hill and the Central Market in one day. Not sure how much time the baths take b/c we didn't do that.

I know you can find langos in the Central Market Hall, because we ate one for lunch one day!
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

When people talk about the "Buda Triangle", does that include the funicular up to Castle Hill? I'm trying to get my locations figured out! Will check out the Carlton. The location sounds great. Think we'd only try to do the Baths if we stay the overnight. Even then it might be "too much". THANKS!
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 05:03 AM

I was at the baths recently and there were a lot of wrinkled people there including me but also there were people of all ages.
I had a blast there.
I didn't care for the pools on the inside but outside was a hoot.
Also. We took a tour with a company suggested by our landlord called Beyond Budapest. The guide was fantastic and I am sure that he would be able to taylor a tour for your group. He would be very flexible and it was so much more intimate than some of those "hearded" group tours.
Given your short time there this might be the way to go. Let me see if I can find his email just in case you decide to go this way.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 05:06 AM

www.beyondbudapest.hu. Our guide was Gyuri. It is a small operation.
Good Luck.
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 02:04 PM

I too think your kids would enjoy the thermal baths, but specifically the outdoor ones at Szechenyi. The indoor ones there and elsewhere as others have suggested may bore them. I've seen lots of young people (and old) enjoying Szechenyi and it is a lot of fun, especially the whirlpool spinning section, the waterfalls, the underwater jets and fountains and the fine 'champagne' bubbles.

The central food market is great, and the eating halls on the third level are a great experience.

I'd also pay a visit to the famous Gerbeaud coffee house (www.gerbeaud.hu) for a great selection of cakes and pastries and a place to sit and enjoy them.
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Oh my, I looked at the Gerbeaud Coffee House site... and my mouth is watering! I couldn't tell from the site where it is located. Can anyone help me locate this coffee house with relation to the Szechenyi baths and the funnicular to Castle Hill? Is there any particular area to stay in (hotel) that would be accessible to all of this? YOU ARE WONDERFUL SOURCES OF INFORMATION AND EXCITEMENT!
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 01:14 AM

For snacks, there are these shops selling little open-faced sandwiches everywhere. They are beautiful little works of art, they taste great, and they're pretty cheap, too.

The Castle Hill area is a great suggestion for teens, I think. If you have a really energetic family and want them to burn off additional energy, there are nice trails up Gellert Hill, too, which take you up to the Liberty Statue with great views (but similar to those from Castle Hill) over the city and river.
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 06:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Gerbaud, roughly half way between the two sites. Stick the name in google maps and it pops up.

My preference is http://www.ruszwurm.hu/a_menu.html up at the castle. The Tokay is a good price and goes well with coffee cake and coffee.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 12:18 AM

LECCO DELICIOUS GARLIKY HUNGARIAN PANCAKES!

AND OF COURSE SPAS AND THERMAL BATHS AROUND BUDAPEST, THEY'LL LOVE IT!
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 03:45 AM

The ruzwurm is fabulous. I even brought an entire cherry strudel home .
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 12:34 PM

We were in Budapest several years ago with our then-13yo son.

We checked out Gerbeaud, the famous coffeehouse (and the place where the characters in the book “Prague” congregate). It was fancy and based on the menu, very expensive. We visited a bunch of other coffeehouses/cafe. Two that we liked were Central Kávéház és Étterem, Károlyi Mihály utca 9, old-fashioned and cozy inside, and Gerlóczy Káveház, District V, Gerlóczy utca 1, which is cute and somewhat French in feel, on a cute, quiet little square.

Gerbeaud is not near either the funicular or the baths. Gerbeaud (and Vörösmarty Tér) is at the head of the famous Váci utca, which is rather touristy, but also fun. Rick Steves' book has a good description of things to see while walking down Váci utca. At the other end is the Great Central Market. We enjoyed walking around it, and unlike some markets in other locations, plenty of Budapest residents were there getting various foods; it's not only a tourist destination.

A well-known lángos stand is in the Great Central Market; it's called Lángosok. It's in the middle of the row, roughly, on the west (north?) side (the side closest to the river) of the Great Central Market. There is a counter where you order the lángos, and across from it, across the aisle, is a very small counter and a few stools. They mostly offer savory lángos, but some sweet too. Langos are actually very filling, and eating here was fun! Many of locals (or at least, Hungarians) were buying them. DH bought a beer from the place next door; DS and I had a bottle of water. DS had cheese with onions; DH had cheese; I had cheese and sour cream. They were definitely filling enough to count as lunch for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -