One day boat trip from kas

Mar 15th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

One day boat trip from kas

Working on some details for our upcoming trip in September. During our stay in Kas, I've been told that you can just walk down to the dock and negotiate a price for a day boat trip right on the spot. Being the plan ahead type, I'm wondering if anyone has recomendations for a specific captain and/or boat. I have read reviews of Captain Ali and Captain Ergun. Comments for both have been excellent. I've noticed that if you don't go on a private hire tour, you make many swim stops around local islands and bays. We were interested in maybe less swim stops and more sightseeing, example- sunken city, the tombs etc. but don't want the expense of the private tour. Does anyone have an information or experience in this area?
Mar 15th, 2015, 03:40 PM
kja

I can't help with a recommendation (I took my boat from Üçağız, not Kaş), but I will note that I was a bit underwhelmed by the sunken city. I could see the top of a submerged pier and a couple of amphorae. That was it. I think there are relatively new restrictions on where people can go that are intended to help preserve what remains, which struck me as quite reasonable. It was not uninteresting, but only mildly interesting IMO. YMMV.
Mar 16th, 2015, 01:15 AM

kja is correct re the sunken city ruins. However, the scenery is lovely and the tombs are at Kalekoy, a rather interesting village only accessible by boat which provides some fine short hiking and Ok food at a great setting.

You will also see more tombs at Myra, not too far away, in addition to a lovely amphitheatre, if you drive there or take another tour.

If you have not done so already, have a look at my trip report reprint at

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...10-trip.cfm?18

The tour boats will make their tours which always include stops for swimming and sometimes longer stops for kayaking. There are many of them, So some tours may actually concentrate mor on the history.

You do not need to make reservations on the tour boats before you arrive in Kas (or Ucagiz) but I recommend that you investigate the different ones and the recommended captains the day before and make your decision at that time rather than just show up in the morning and have to do with what is available.

September should be lovely, not so crowded, not so hot but with very warm sea water. I bet you will actually want to swim. The boats all have easy to climb ladders for your convenience.
Mar 16th, 2015, 02:12 AM

For ruins, you should hope for a boat trip that stops at Aperlae on its way to Simena/Kekova.
Mar 16th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I was concerned that it might be really busy in September and that we needed prior reservations. Funny, my husband was watching a video on line about boating over the sunken city. His comment was that it looked boring. Having read your replies, I guess he wasn't far off!
Mar 16th, 2015, 04:16 PM
kja

But as otherchelebi notes, the rest of the ride is very pleasant!