Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One backpack and a "little city" bag?????? Train stations baggage lockers????

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 12:22 PM
James

On march will be my first travel to Europe and a friend advice me to buy 2 bags. One large backpack to be the main store during all my trip and a small "little city" bag to hold the neccesary clothes I will need (wash and wear) and also to hold my passport and other important documents. My question here are many... <BR> <BR>a) Do train stations in Europe have enough and secure baggage lockers???? <BR> <BR>b) Itīs my friend advice correct? Itīs comfortable and convenient traveling this way?? <BR> <BR>c) Any other tips regarding baggage security on this doble bag idea??? <BR> <BR>Thankīs in advance

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 12:33 PM
Thyra

James I did the backpack thing as well and this is my experience. Nearly every major train station has luggage lockers. Your friend has a good idea but I would caution you against putting your passport/return plane tickets etc. in a small bag that could get taken. Especially whilst backpacking. I would recommend you get a money belt (holster type or whatever you are comfortable with) just to be on the safe side, it's a real drag to loose your passport or have it stolen. Now a lot of posters may argue that point, but that's my opinion. Als, if you have not done so already pick up a Let's Go book or Lonely Planet that have a lot of great advise for backpackers. The weather in March has the potential to be cold and rainy or hot so bring layers. Have a great trip.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 12:49 PM
elaine

James, <BR>Lockers are not as common as they used to be because of terrorist concerns. <BR>Many major cities' train stations have <BR>"left luggage" areas where you can check bags. They are usually not open 24 hours. <BR>Perhaps if you name the places you are going to, people can advise you about the facilities in the local train stations. <BR>As for the "best" luggage or how "comfortable" it is, it depends on so many things, including how long you're going for, how many stops you will be making, whether you are staying in hotels or simpler places like youth hostels, how much time you'll be spending on trains, how young and/or <BR>limber and/or adventurous you are, etc. <BR>I am not especially experienced in backpacks, but a large overloaded backpack could be just as bulky, inconvenient, and tiring as any other piece of luggage if it is too large to be easily managed. If you are an experienced backpacker, go for it. If not, other luggage options may work just as well for you. <BR>If you do a Search on this forum for <BR>Luggage or Baggage or Pack you should find lots of previous advice from experts. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 12:51 PM
elaine

James, since Thyra has done it, her advice is more to the point than mine. I was still typing mine while she was posting. I don't remember seeing so many lockers, but clearly they must be there.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 01:53 PM
marilyn ham

We've backpacked to Italy. We try to take a backpack that weighs no more than 18-20 pounds for ease and comfort. We have Eagle Creek backpacks with zip on/off small packs. I agree on the moneybelt--don't put your tickets, passport, or money into a bag that could be taken. I can't speak for all the train stations; but we left our luggage at the Milan station in the secured baggage area and had no problems. It was full of luggage. Marilyn

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 02:41 PM
James

Thankīs all of you for the advice! <BR> <BR>Iīm planning to lock my luggage at <BR> <BR>MADRID <BR>GRANADA <BR>SEVILLE <BR>BARCELONA <BR>NICE <BR>ROME <BR>FLORENCE <BR>PADUA <BR>LUCERN <BR>PRAGE <BR>BRUGE <BR>PARIS <BR> <BR>I would appreciate if you can tell me about the luggage lockers conditions in those cities.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 06:36 PM
wendy

We can't really tell you about lockers and luggage storage in these places because it changes with current events. My guess is that you may not find luggage storage in Spain. You definitely cannot find lockers in France, except on the Rivieria (as of October) but that may be different now, too. If there are not lockers for storage, there probably won't be a left luggage facility either. Sometimes tourist offices will keep your bag for you, sometimes they won't. I was in Europe for three months last year and it varied from place to place. When I was in Italy, there was storage, but seemed kind of expensive. My advice is to not count on it. The upside is, if you're going on a day trip, you can leave your bag at the youth hostel for the day, even if you've checked out, or, some tourist sites, like museums or castles, will make you leave your bag with security while you're inside (and that's freeeee!) <BR> <BR>I say, take one backpack, fit all your stuff in there, and just have a small bag to carry around with you during the day, like a school bag, for your guidebook, water, etc.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 09:44 PM
elvira

Other options that work: <BR>If you've checked out of your hotel, but plan to sightsee until taking the train, the hotel will often keep your bag for you. <BR> <BR>If you have a railpass (or a ticket to your next destination), you can send your bag to the destination for pickup (ask what time the station closes so you won't arrive and find it closed). <BR> <BR>In smaller stations, where there never has been any formal baggage check, or the lockers are unavailable for security reasons, ask the stationmaster if s/he knows where you can leave the luggage. Sometimes they will keep it for you in an office, but it's out of the kindness of their hearts, or tell you where you could leave it (like a nearby cafe or hotel). Much easier to get this kind of help in small towns.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 05:20 AM
elaine

James <BR>Paris, for one, has several large train stations. I suggest you go to the www.sncf.fr website (click on English) and it offer you an opportunity to email them with questions. You can ask them about left luggage in the various Paris stations, and in Nice. The other countries have similar websites for the train systems. For Italy <BR>try one of these <BR> www.itwg.com/trains/trains.asp <BR> and <BR> www.fs-on-line.com/ <BR>

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 05:36 AM
Paige

Last October we left our backpacks at left luggage in the main Florence station, no problem. In case you don't know, left luggage is a room with an attendant who takes your luggage, puts it somewhere behind their counter and gives you a receipt you need to pick it up later. Works great and is usually cheap. I would expect all big city stations to have left luggage and smaller cities to at least have lockers but I can't confirm that.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:53 AM
Brian in Atlanta

James, I did the backpacking thing a few years back. The daypack idea is a good one, in fact, we still take a small daypack with us to carry camera, maps, guidebooks, etc. <BR> <BR>On that first backpacking trip, I learned to hate the moneybelt - it's awkward, uncomfortable, gets sweaty and it's a pain to get anything out of it. But as we were staying in rather grungy hostels, it was probably well advised that we keep all our "valuables" with us. <BR> <BR>However, times have changed, and the need for the moneybelt has been greatly reduced by ATMs (no need for traveler's checks) and e-tickets (no need for paper tickets). So other than a small amount of cash and your ATM and credit card (which I carry in my wallet just as I do at home) the only thing to worry about it your passport. If you're locking your pack away in a secure locker, just leave your passport with your pack. If it's not so secure (left luggage guy) just take it in your daypack and be careful. <BR> <BR>Have fun.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 09:41 AM
Hans H

I've always used as big a backpack as I could find and never cared about the weight. The weight is still okay if I can carry it for a quarter of an hour without caring and for a few hours uttering profanities. Under normal circumstances you arrive at a city, look for a hostel, go to the hostel and leave the pack there. No reason to care about the weight. It's only seldomn that you encounter a situation where you got to carry a backpack for a long time. <BR>If you travel with friends, get a room together, lock it and don't worry about thieves. Or even better, leave your valuables with the hostel staff. In my opinion, my passport is much safer there than in a money belt on my person at 3 o'clock in the morning while I'm not exactly sobber. <BR> <BR>And take a day pack for water, book, camera etc.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:55 PM

Oui!