One afternoon in Brussels. What to do?

Jun 18th, 2000, 08:33 AM
Miguel

One afternoon in Brussels. What to do?

My wife and I are travelling to Barcelona this week, but we have an 8 hour delay to contend with in Brussels. We are planning to zoom into the center of town and the Grand Place, see the pissing statue and grab a bite to eat before returning to the airport. If anyone out there has been to Brussels and has advice on anything we MUST see or do in this limited time that I have overlooked, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Jun 18th, 2000, 04:48 PM
Bob

With only 8 hours, you have about covered it. The statue is very small. You will see all of the replica selling shops before you see the statue. The Grand Place in nice, especially on a market day.

Jun 18th, 2000, 08:26 PM
elvira

There's a brewery museum on the Gran' Place that's worth a stop (they give you a free beer with the price of the admission). The Comic Strip museum is a few hundred yards from the Gran'Place.

Jun 19th, 2000, 05:02 AM
dan woodlief

The Royal Palace is near the Grand Place, and the park there makes for a pleasant stroll. The Cathedral of Saint-Michel is also worth a look (also not far from the Grand Place).

Jun 19th, 2000, 06:50 AM
herself

Buy chocolates at la Grande Place.

Jun 19th, 2000, 06:54 AM
Mary

I had a similar "day in Brussels" last spring. I arrived in Brussels about 8am and had about 9 hours before meeting my husband to continue on to Provence. When I arrived, I realized I was too tired to effectively navigate the city on my own so I decided to hop on one of the bus tours for a few hours. I can't recall the name of the tour company but it was recommended by the travel/tourist company in the airport. I boarded the bus on a side street near the Grand Place and we travelled around town, stopping here and there (e.g., Grand Place, Manneken Pis, Lace Factory, Atomium) It was perfect for my fatigued condition. I then went in search of a late lunch where I encountered a delightful waiter who spoke almost as much English as I spoke French (tres peu) but was determined to make my lunch a pleasant one. It was a pleasant day. So my suggestion is simply to consider taking a canned tour if you are fatigued, as I was. You hit the high points without further taxing your body!

Jun 19th, 2000, 07:33 AM
lola

Don't know if you like art nouveau architecture, but Brussels has one the greatest concentration in the world. The Horta house is absolutely exquisite and you can get there easily in 15-minutes from the square. Also, the art museum has magnificent Bruegels, Rubens and modern art.

Jun 19th, 2000, 08:06 AM
Ellen

Be sure to buy lots of chocolate. I swear I have never seen so many chocolate shops in one area! Leonidas is my favorite for reasonably priced, wonderful chocolates. There is one that is white chocolate covered with three different types of mouse inside. Buy a sampling from different shops and you all can decide which you like best.

I think that in 8 hours, that is all you can reasonably see as some time will be needed to get to and from the airport. In a small museum on the Grand Place (it may be the city museum), there is a collection of costumes that the Mannekis Pis statue has been dressed in over the years. It is kind of cute if you have time!
Ellen

Jun 19th, 2000, 09:45 AM
dan woodlief

To give you some idea of time. We arrived at the airport at about 6:30 am on a Sunday morning, left our luggage in a locker, and caught a train into town. We walked throught part of the park I mentioned, saw the cathedral (then being renovated), spent half an hour or so at the Grand Place, saw Mannekin Pis (didn't do much shopping), and had a leisurely lunch after we managed to find an open cafe. Made it back to the airport by 1-2 p.m. At least 2 1/2 hours before our flight.

Jun 19th, 2000, 09:57 AM
Paul

Eat!!! Seriously, walk around the Grand Place and go over to the Galeries St. Hubert and over to rue des Bouchers to see the restaurants. Aux Armes de Bruxelles is very good. All this is a very easy walk and can easily use up 8 hours if you stop to browse and sit down for a meal. As noted Mannekin Pis is but a few blocks away but will probably be a let down.

Enjoy,

Paul