Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Onda Verde in Praiano (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/onda-verde-in-praiano-224629/)

Dottie May 24th, 2002 08:58 AM

Onda Verde in Praiano

Can anyone tell me if they have stayed at <BR>Onda Verde in Praiano and what they thought of it?<BR>

Dale May 24th, 2002 10:30 AM

Stayed there for a week a couple of years ago. I recommend it because it is conveniently located halfway between Amalfi and Positano, dependable Sita busses stop at the door, boasts a dynamite view, has a good kitchen and the proprietors are welcoming and congenial. I guess we liked it. Enjoy.

trish May 24th, 2002 12:57 PM

we will be there in July and will post after we get back

Leon May 24th, 2002 03:45 PM

ttt

Sherry May 24th, 2002 04:46 PM

If you stay at the Onda Verde, use the sidewalk that goes down to the sea and have dinner on the water at the Alfonso E Mare. It is owned by members of the same family and the food is very good.<BR>We rented an apartment from the owner's grandson. They were truly great people.<BR>I think the Onda Verde is owned by another grandson.<BR>This is a great community. All of the people in the shops are very friendly.

Sue May 24th, 2002 04:56 PM

Hi,<BR><BR>I have not stayed at the Onda Verde, but the have a fabulous web site. Last summer we stayed at the Tromonto D'Oro in Praiano. I was glad that we stayed there instead of the Onda Verde. The OV is situated in a tiny inlet, by a so-so beach. In the afternoon there was no sun. The view was not out towards Positano. Also, it was a ways outside of the little village of Praiano.The Tromonto D'Oro was is right in the village and the view is spectacular, looking towards Positano. Also this hotel has a wonderful roof top pool with fabulous sun and views. It was a wonderful hotel and the owners were lovely and I think it really looked much nicer that OV. Whatever you decide you will have a wonderful time.

Katlin May 24th, 2002 05:09 PM

I saw the web site for hotel Onda Verde and it looks beautiful.

az May 24th, 2002 05:20 PM

dottie--sue has nailed it; great web site, good food/management, but restricted view. also, some of the rooms' balconies lack privacy because there are walks directly above them. for stunning view and privacy, Hotel Tritone cannot be beat--BUT it is not in Praiano; it really takes a car to take full advantage of staying there--as does O. Verde.

Merry May 24th, 2002 06:37 PM

<BR>I disagree with the last post .<BR>We sayed at Onda Verde last year and found the view to be fabulous.<BR>

Jennie May 25th, 2002 03:42 AM

<BR>I'm interested in hearing more about Onda Verde we are booked there in Aug.

Sue May 25th, 2002 04:28 AM

Hi,<BR><BR>As I stated before we did not stay at the OV. We were booked there (15 of us) and they closed their kitchen for renovations last July. We felt with so many people we needed to eat dinner at our hotel to make life easier, therefore we transfered to the Tromonto D'Oro. We saw the OV one day when we went to the beach next to this hotel. The beach was a cove and ordinary. It was in the afternoon and there was no sun. The hotel looked fine, but I was glad that we did not stay there. I did not like the beach or the no sun, plus it is down the road from the little town of Praiano. The town is not much, but the Tramonto D'Oro is right in town. After dinner we would walk to a coffee place or go for a drink somewhere. There were little shops to peek into, the church was there with it's bells. Our hotel had a lot of sun, fabulous views and the roof top pool was very large and so great after a day of site seeing. AZ memtioned the Tritone. It is a specatular hotel, but quiet a bit more expensive. I would assume the OV is a fine hotel, but I guess I did not like the location even though it is right on the water and the view I am sure is wonderful. The Amalfi coast is so great, that wherever you stay you will have a great time.

hess May 25th, 2002 08:35 PM

Sherri--We've booked a room in the Alfonso a Mare (not in the annex, apparently) Is this on the same beach as Onda Verde--the one they are saying is a cove with no sun in the afternoon?<BR>Thanks.

Sherry May 26th, 2002 07:22 AM

The Alfonso E Mare is in a cove on the beach in Praiano.<BR>I do not know about no sun in the afternoon. We were on the main road Via Roma above the restaurant/hotel a little way up the road. Not too far as we walked to the stairway above the cove to make our way down. And we chatted with people staying at the Onda Verde who were on one of the balconies outside their room.<BR>The hotel is sort of built into the cliffs next to the cove and there is a sidewalk that makes its way down to the cove and restaurant.<BR>The Alfonse e Mare is located on the water with a couple of other cafes next to it.

Sela May 27th, 2002 11:44 AM

Boy, now I don't know what to do.<BR>We are booked for July for a week at Onda Verde.