Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Once in a lifetime--finca, beach resort, etc. between Barcelona and Granada

Dec 5th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Yes, it is me again, ha!! Because American Airlines is making my life not easy, we had to change our itinerary again. We cannot leave until October 8th and are staying two days longer than planned because using "miles" requires we leave when they want us to.
Having said that, we are going to drive from Barcelona to Granada and have two days to explore. Being October, I do not know how El Montiboli would be mid-October??
Does anyone know about Hotel Las Arenas Balneario Resort in Valencia or the Barcelo La Bobadilla Resort just 35 minutes from the Granada airport?
There seems to be a variety of resorts in the Benidorm area but prefer away from the crowds, quiet, peaceful--seeing a bit of the country of Spain.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Dec 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM

Hi kakiebell,
Another itinerary change! Nope, AA isn't making your life easy is it?

I'll let lincasanova, who lives in Valencia, guide you on this one, as Levante is her turf, but I'll just say that I would avoid the concrete jungle high rises in and around Benidorm like the plague! Benidorm just isn't want you want at all.

I did tour the Las Arenas Balneario on the very day it opened Jan. 1, and I really liked the very pretty rooms with ocean view terraces that the manager showed us, the setting, the grounds, even though the pool area wasn't finished yet. This was 3 yrs. ago. But lin, I'm sure, has really valuable insider scoop on this one.

About the Montíboli, I think it would be fine in early March, but my Relais & Chateaux guide says that their gourmet restaurant closes from Oct. 15-March 19.

The other Relais & Chateaux property in the Valencia region would be the Mas de Cancatti (in the middle of an orange grove-no ocean views) in Vilamarxant, 30 km. north of the city, but I've never seen it. Perhaps lin knows it. But it gets mixed reviews on Trip Advisor. It's represented by www.i-escape.com

www.masdecanicatti.com

I think one of the 3 above resorts would be better than La Bobadilla, near Granada, as a place to rest and relax on the drive between Barcelona and Granada.

Dec 5th, 2008, 12:01 PM

when you say "explore" are you interested in any activites or chilling out only.

Barcelo hotels has a new luxury hotel called thai gardens.. or asia gardens. up the hill from benidorm. i know three young couples who have gone there, and LOVED it.

not spanish atmosphere, that's for sure! but it seems like an interesting place, to say the least.

Las Aenas is certainly, along with teh Westin, the two hotels in valencia I woudl choose.

I am trying to think of something unique, if it exists, and will get back to you.
mas canicatt, or whatever it is called, really is out up in the hills. the setting is very very unusual and nice.

a real retreat, amidst orange groves if i recall correctly. too far from valencia to consider in and out more than once.

the views at night are special. we went there one xmas for a drink. the architecture is very minimalist.. not oozing with luxury, at least the common areas were elegant but a little cold. we were there the first months it was open.

la bobadilla was impressive.. and REALLY out there!!! seems too far on the drive to make sense. there is so much to do in between.

i am going to give this some thought. hope i come back with a few ideas. you have already stumbled upon the most known ones.. so.. got to ask around!
Dec 5th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

If the restaurant closes at El Montiboli October 15th, is that because the weather is not great at that time of the year to be on the beach? I think we will be fine in the cities such as Madrid, Barcelona and Andalusia. That is why I am thinking of staying inland if it is cold at that time of year on Costa Blanca.
Dec 5th, 2008, 03:26 PM

Hi kakiebell,
I checked the Montíboli's own website,
www.montiboli.es
and only one of the two restaurants closes during that period-the Minarete, on the beach.
The other, the Emperador, stays open all yr. long. They're now advertising their special Xmas and NYE packages.
Dec 5th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

To answer lincasanova's question, yes, just chill out. I will have enough hiking around in Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, and Granada plus two international flights.
I would certainly stay at El Montiboli if I knew that the weather would permit at that time of year. Would either you or Maribel have a clue if it is "sane" to be on the beach the middle of October? I can get an idea of the weather patterns in the bigger cities on Weather.com and it seems great in Barcelona (70 degrees), Seville and Granada (78 degrees) but cannot get a read on Costa Blanca.
We will have a car, obviously, so we are not tied to eating at El Montiboli. Actually will enjoy driving to Javea and Denia maybe and check those cities out. So, friends, guess it comes down to weather. It is hurricane season here in the states at that time of year but do not think that is a problem in Spain. El Montiboli website looks lovely and relaxing.
Thanks, thanks for all your research and help. I will check the other properties out.
Dec 6th, 2008, 12:10 AM

weather is so unpredictable. just make sure you get cancellable reservations this far in advance. you may want to stop, if weather is chilly, in valencia.. more to do inside, LOTS of great restaurants, bars...

if you have never visited valencia i certainly recommend a stopover.

eat here one day or go to watch spectacular sunset. http://www.nouraco.com/

stay here or here

http://www.hotelessidi.es/

maribel might know if rooms ahve been updated. setting is very calm.

or at the new parador at el saler, valencia.

i am suggesting these two areas because they are outside the rush of any highway/cities and miles of beach, although flat.

this is a more RELAXING option IMHO.

plus, the advantage to go into town if you wish.

you could stop at montiboli for lunch/coffee/ snack on your way south.

if the weather is good it will be pleasant to be on/near beach providing it is not windy.

Dec 6th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help. It sounds like staying inland and taking trips to the beach might be the prudent thing to do. You have provided me with lots of options and I am sure one of them will be delightful.