Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   once again- Paris hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/once-again-paris-hotels-243984/)

lorraine Jul 29th, 2002 06:24 AM

once again- Paris hotels

Hello,<BR>I am trying to decide on these hotel for a fall trip: Hotel Sevres Saint Germain (rue Placide in the 6th), Hotel Le Regent, Hotel de Notre Dame (rue Maitre Albert 5th), Hotel Grand Univers, Hotel Saint Paul 6th or Hotel Pulitzer. My husband and I are wanting a quiet comfortable hotel in the middle of an area with cafes and shops (we are in our late 30's) and want to pay about $150-$175 a night.<BR>Thanks for any guidance,<BR>Lorraine

Mari Jul 29th, 2002 06:40 AM

Lorraine, We stayed at the LeRegent just a few weeks ago. I did a lot of research on this site (highly recommended here) and using other sources. <BR><BR>The Le Regent was okay, but nothing special. The rooms were of a decent size (we had superior) and nicely decorated, although a bit fussy for my taste. <BR><BR>We did not, however, care for the location. It was somewhat seedy - it appeared to be run down. It was, however, convenient to many cafes, restaurants, sights, etc. We walked almost everywhere we went.<BR><BR>Someone on another post mentioned the Hotel Madison which is in the same general area. We thought it was in a better location than the Le Regent. Relais Christine was lovely. It is on a side street off Rue Dauphine. Very elegant and more expensive.<BR><BR>

marcy lane Jul 29th, 2002 06:43 AM

have you heard of The Paris Residence? It is a time share in Paris. We want to trade our timeshare.

Van Jul 29th, 2002 07:28 AM

My wife and I just got back from Paris on July 13. We stayed at the Hotel des Tuileries and loved it. 5 minutes to Tuilerie Gardens and the metro station, 10 minutes to the Louvre. No one really mentions the hotel on this board, but we got a "comfort room" (including breakfast)for around $175 - $180 and well worth it. Our room was very beautiful, quiet, clean, very near the Opera and lots of restaurants. Staff were very nice also.

Carla Jul 29th, 2002 10:06 AM

Hi Lorraine,<BR>We're just back from 3 weeks in France, the last 2 in Paris. In the city, we stayed at the Hotel Central Saint-Germain on the border between the 5th and 6th, right in the heart of the Sorbonne, on a quiet street just off Blvd Saint-Michel and Blvd St-Germain. I heartily recommend it: scrupulously clean, friendly desk staff, easy access to Metro (Cluny-La Sorbonne stop), quiet, and affordable. We booked through the website at www.hotels-exclusive.com and got a rate of 109 E per night; also took advantage of a July/August special rate of 4 nights for the price of 3. The hotel is just finishing renovations (the leather lobby furniture was being delivered as we checked in). Room was not enormous, but oh-so clean (we left 3 other places in the south of France early due to their lack of attention to hygenic details!), with a large shower that had glass doors (a treat after having some without so much as a curtain) and sparkling granite countertop...my husband commented that we should take a picture of the bathroom alone (given our earlier experiences). We could easily walk to Notre Dame in five minutes. Address is 3 rue Champollion; phone 46 34 14 20; fax 46 34 14 50. Was a bit difficult to find at first(rue Champollion is only one block long, so isn't on many maps); hints: hotel is behind the Cluny Museum; rue Champollion opens at one end into the Place de la Sorbonne. I would stay there again and again. Good luck! Carla

sherri Jul 29th, 2002 12:03 PM

Dear Lorraine;<BR>I speak hoghly for the Madison; although I usually reserve a superior room that runs about 230 euro.I have been told and read on this site that the standard room are not all that ; if you know what I mean.<BR>I suggest the Relais Saint Sulpice behind the SAINT SULPICE CHURCH.<BR>It has it all reasonable prices; great location; stlish small hotel with great rooms.I do not have a web adress; but you can find it by doing a search : Paris hotels in the 6th arronesement <BR>( spelling).<BR>Good luck<BR>p.s. reserve a.s.a.p.Sept. can be a very busy time of year in Paris

lorraine Jul 30th, 2002 02:17 PM

thanks so much everyone for the info/advice!