Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

On your last trip to Europe, what was the one thing that you normally need at home that you just couldn't find anywhere?

On your last trip to Europe, what was the one thing that you normally need at home that you just couldn't find anywhere?

Oct 30th, 2000, 07:53 AM
Chris

Recently went to Europe, and I was looking forward to my usual morning routine of a steaming, frothy latte. But I don't drink milk, so at home, I use soy milk. In Europe, I didn't find any local coffee shop with soy milk for a latte. Starbucks was the exception, and only a few of their outlets had it, but who wants to go to Europe and hang out at a Starbucks just like the one near my house? I survived with regular coffee. Ack!

How about you?

Oct 30th, 2000, 07:57 AM
Santa Chiara

Can't find Vaseline Instensive Care lotion, jalepenos in escabeche or corn tortillas.

Oct 30th, 2000, 08:01 AM
Jo

Sucrets or Nice or Vicks cough drops. For a severe sore throat and cough, one "chemist" offered me something with codeine in it and when I declined (it upsets my stomach), all she had otherwise was a nasty-tasting horehound-sort of herbal gummy "troche."

Oct 30th, 2000, 09:43 AM
Keith

Jo-They have Vicks in the U.K. Also, the best lozenges I've ever had I got in the U.K. Can't remember the name, though...

Oct 30th, 2000, 09:56 AM
Angela

Keith Are the lozengers called Dequadin? or Dequadin plus, they are very good for sore throats.
Santa - We do have Vaseline intensive care cream. When I was a child I used to buy it for my mother every birthday and christmas - she didn't have the heart to tell me she didn't like it. Fifteen years later she still has a cupboard full of it - so if you still have a need for it I could send you some with a discount for a bulk order!
Angela

Oct 30th, 2000, 10:36 AM
Lee

Excedrin. I could not find them anywhere in Germany and couldn't even find them in Calgary, AB earlier this year, except the funky non-aspirin type. Now that was a surprise.

Oct 30th, 2000, 10:54 AM
Lori

Culled from my own personal experience and that of my friend who has been living and working in Belgium -
Equal and/or Sweet and Low - can find pure saccharine tho
Oreo Cookies
Lays potato chips
Diet Coke - not Coke Light
Diet Sprite
Lipton Diet Decaffeinated Lemon Flavored Ice Tea Mix - (huh?)
A certain brand of a certain female item
Washclothes

Now when I return home, there are plenty of things I can't find here that I do find there. Another time...........

Oct 30th, 2000, 11:09 AM
Ess

I've never been anywhere in Europe (or any other place) that I missed something so much that I couldn't live very well without it. Part of the fun of traveling is getting to try all the stuff they have that we don't. One thing I missed in both England and Ireland while staying in people's hosues was PLENTY of hot water - but it didn't stop me from having a great time anyway!

Oct 30th, 2000, 12:28 PM
adina

Containers of Vaseline-- all I found were little tubes sold behind the counter at pharmacies in France and England. On the few occasions I found a container the quality was so bad it was unusable-- I use vaseline in place of regular moisturizer-- gross but it really works. I now take a full trip supply with me--heavier but worth it.

Oct 30th, 2000, 12:57 PM
X

Adina
Think you must have been given the wrong stuff. Vaseline never comes in tubes here. The clear containers of vaseline can be bought all over the UK. Try "Boots"

Oct 30th, 2000, 01:18 PM
Just an Observer

Esse, I can think a few things that would find me in a bind if I couldn't get them abroad. I must have the correct brand of contact lens solution or risk an allergic reaction, for instance. There's nothing wrong with needing something not sold in Europe. Sometimes it is just a fact.

Oct 30th, 2000, 01:34 PM
kavey

Re the throat lozenges...

We have several very effective makes, different to those found in the states...

The most effective for me are Olbas Oil throat pastilles, which are so disgusting I can keep them in my mouth long enough to suck them down to only half size before spitting them out, but just this half pastille keeps the pain at bay for hours...

Other strong makes include fishermens friends which also taste foul.

These can both only be taken once every few hours as opposed to the myriad makes of lozenges which can be eaten by the truck load but have no real effect on my throat...

PS You can buy pretty much most products available in US in UK if you drop a hang up about brand names. Sometimes different brand names are actually made by the same company but just marketed differently.

But the reason you cant get everything is that we have different tastes here. So there are also many things which you can find in UK but not US.

Oct 30th, 2000, 02:36 PM
Inky

Surely the saddest/lamest posting I've had the displeaure to view in quite a while.

Two questions to any of the Americans posting here:
1) Why didnt you take it with you if you knew you needed it (soy milk comes in cartons before you say anything)
2) Why come to Europe just to poke about looking for something that you dont really need. I mean do you REALLY need soy milk/a particular brand of lozenge/vaseline in a tube TM/ Diet coke...what a pathetic bunch of whining saps you are.

Oct 30th, 2000, 02:44 PM
alan

Hi! I wish I could get Coke Lite here in the States. Much better taste than Diet coke, I've brought some home with me at times. alan

Oct 30th, 2000, 02:50 PM
Chris

Inky,

Sorry you are so frustrated, but I can address the soy milk point. Some people can't drink milk as it makes them physically ill. This is more common in non-whites. Yes, I could bring boxes of soy milk to Europe, saunter into a French coffee shop and ask that they take my soy milk and fix up my latte just the way I like it, assuming I could find that in my phrase book. And wouldn't that make me the ugliest American you ever met? No one is saying the world came crashing down because they couldn't get something they normally can get. I just thought it might make an interesting discussion.

Oct 30th, 2000, 04:33 PM
kk

Speaking of Vicks lozenges....a few years ago I got a really bad cold when I was in Germany. I wanted Vicks Vaporub. Never could find it. Had to settle for Metholatum, which just isn't the same. The Vicks cough drops/lozenges were everywhere but no Vaporub. I thought that was a bit strange to have one but not the other.

Oct 30th, 2000, 04:58 PM
Jayelle

I second the comment about Coke Light. I drank it all the time in France, but the formula is clearly different (and much better tasting) than the Diet Coke that is sold in the U.S.

Oct 30th, 2000, 05:04 PM
woman

Inky,
No, we CANNOT live without Monistat. For pete's sake, don't women in Europe get the yeasty beasty? Five countries, no one had any idea what I was talking about. Learned that lesson - always carry my own.

Oct 30th, 2000, 05:06 PM
Woman

Try Canestan

Oct 30th, 2000, 05:14 PM
SharonM

When I lived in Portugal, I missed Ranch (or blue cheese dressing) and grits. I rarely even eat those in the States, but for some reason when I couldn't find them, I missed them!

(they did have Monistat there...)

Otherwise, I never miss much at all!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO