ON Train from Interlaken to Venice

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ON Train from Interlaken to Venice

We had planned to take an overnight train from Interlaken to Venice, but are running into problems booking. We were going to take the Interlaken to Spiez then Spiez to Brig at 11:12 pm which continues on the Venice at arrives at 7:36 am. It appears that that you are not allowed to board the Spiez to Brig because it would disturb folks that are sleeping (a travel agent told us this). I have tried the Italian train site and they do not even show the 11 pm train. You can see these trains on the Swiss site, but can' book.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thank you
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 03:57 AM

http://www.bahn.de

This is a good site...
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 04:32 AM

I have just checked Swiss (www.sbb.ch) and Italian (www.trenitalia.it)railway sites. Both show Spiez/Brig/Venezia leavig Spiez at 23.12 EN313 so I don't know what the problem is. And I rather doubt what your travel agent said. You want to contact Swiss railway on their site and ask for info, whether you really cannot take the train in Spiez - (I don't think so though) or even better buy direct from them? The number I have is 0900 300 300 for domestic use. I don't know if it works as +41 900 300 300. Or you can send them e-mail.

Night trains do make stops after mid-night where you are not allowed to board but I don't think this is the case.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 04:56 AM

We did the same route last year, but took the early morning train arriving in Venice in the afternoon. We had to change trains at Spiez and Brig as well.

The minimum train changes for this route is two. I don't know what you mean by not being allowed to board the train at Spiez as it may disturb those sleeping.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 05:19 AM

If you travel from Spiez, it looks as though you have to change at Brig into the sleeping cars which have come from Genève and leave Brig at 0113. You should be able to book a sleeper from Brig to Venezia, but it really would be better to join the train earlier if possible, even if it means taking a less direct route. Boarding a train after one o'clock in the morning is not a comfortable way to spend a night.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 05:32 AM

I agree with Geoff. Unless you would rather do this trip during the daylight hours what I would consider is taking the (approx) 8:00 PM departure from Spiez and after making a brief change in Bern, arrive in Geneva in time to get the EuroNight as it starts out.

This would only take a couple of hours and you could at least get a full night's sleep.

You can check the schedules yourself by going to www.sbb.ch and clicking on the "EN" version...

input Spiez as the departure spot, venice as the termination and geneve as the "via" point.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 05:33 AM

Ask, if you dare, whether or not your TA has ever been on a train anywhere, much less in Europe!
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know the details for your route, but I have taken an overnight train from Switzerland to Venice a couple times. It started from Geneva but stopped along the way to pick up people (so what your TA said doesn't make sense with my experience)... we boarded at midnight in Vevey (one hour outside Geneva). The train stopped you get on and go straight to your sleeper cabin.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:01 AM

If your travel agent has any competence in European train bookings, they should have a copy of the Thomas Cook European Timetable. It should be easy to check connections from Interlaken to a suitable place for boarding the night train to Venezia (the book has maps of the rail network, but I don't have a copy with me now). For example, you can leave Interlaken at 2030, change at Bern for Lausanne where you join the night train to Venezia at 2320. Alternatively, leave Interlaken earlier and have dinner before joining the night train.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. My friend in London was the one in contact with the travel agent, so I will have her check with another agent. In the meantime, I will also send an e-mail to the swiss railway.