Reload this Page >

On smoking in Europe

Search

On smoking in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 10:19 AM
rusty

On smoking in Europe

Many guide books warn about smoking in Europe. I am a non-smoker who prefers non-smoking restaurants etc and was a proponent of my city's recently imposed smoking ban in all restaurants. However, I really did not find it as bad as they said it would be in Europe. I have found Portugal and Turkey to be no worse than bars in Canada. Outdoor eating makes it a lot better.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 10:35 AM
xxx

Cigarette consumption per adult, annual average 1992-2000:<BR><BR>Norway 763<BR>Sweden 1060<BR>Finland 1222<BR>Austria 1709<BR>France 1772<BR>UK 1790<BR>Germany 1803<BR>Belgium 1910<BR>Italy 1960<BR>Denmark 1963<BR>Iceland 2035<BR>Portugal 2071 <BR>USA 2193 <BR>Ireland 2246<BR>Netherlands 2377<BR>Spain 2572<BR>Switzerland 2871<BR>Greece 3571<BR><BR>Source: http://www.undp.org/hdr2002/hdi.pdf <BR>

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Martine

I don't know how the law is in other European countries, but in Belgium every restaurant has to reserve a part for non smokers (with cooker hood or how do you call that machinesomething). In trains also there are compartiments for non smokers and in the musea and in public buildings smoking is forbidden. <BR>Lots of people here are thinking just like you and I think it will not bother you as much as you are afraid of. Smoking become more and more anti-social here, just as in the US, and that is a good thing.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:23 PM
carol

for Martine: exhaust fan or ventilator

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Martine

Thank you Carol, I always have my dictionary next to me, but it did not mention the good word.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Marilyn

I agree, Rusty, that outdoor dining is a help when surrounded by smokers. But I have been in Italy eating the most delicious food imaginable and had my nose assaulted by cigarette smoke. Really, I was mostly amazed that anyone would choose to have a cigarette in the middle of such a tasty meal.<BR><BR>And I actually fled to the ladies room in a Thai restaurant in Frankfurt because I felt I couldn't breathe for the smoke. That was one of the worst I remember. I looked around and not only was everyone smoking at the tables around us, but we were in an upstairs balcony area and all the smoke from the downstairs diners was coming up the open center area. Yikes.<BR><BR>Before I get flamed, however, let me add that I never complain when I'm in the situation. It's just part of traveling and I'm fine with it.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:38 PM
xxx

There are many restaurants in Europe that do have designated smoking sections, BUT chances are you'll be stuck with all of the American tourists. Here in Quebec, I guess you just get used to smoke everywhere.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 12:42 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>Follow two rules .............<BR><BR>North Europe has no smoking areas, so no problem<BR><BR>South Europe - visit in summer and eat outdoors.<BR><BR>Otherwise go to California !<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:48 PM
BillJ

Just chimming in. In Vienna, during a rainstorm, we finally had to leave the wonderful Cafe Diglas. All of the patrons were inside due to the rain, and when the cigar guy lit up, out we go. We tolerate it pretty well, you have to if you want to enjoy most European areas. Its not so bad unless several light up right next to you.<BR>I recall one time in Rome when offered a rare non-smoking area, we jumped to accept. We found ourselves in the basement with one other American couple, and a bored waiter. Whilst up above, a grand party was going on with wandering minstrals, etc.<BR>Lesson: When in Rome. . . .

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:09 PM
molls

I was pleasantly surprised in Italy last fall, we went all over the place, South and North, and I didn't find it to be a problem, indoors or out. I actually have worse probs. here in NY restaurants (which will hopefully change w. Bloomie's proposal if it passes).

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Jean

Our worst smoking-in-the-restaurant experience was in Paris, and the non-stop smoking/diners were ... American!

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 08:17 PM
heatlhylady

It's disgusting everywhere in Europe. You'll also notice that the people (especially women) look much older than they really are because of the strong aging effects of smoking. In Europe, when a woman is 30, she usually looks 40 with all the wrinkles on her face. Consider yourself lucky that you won't have to age like that. It's really a shame that nice ladies stink from all the sucking on weeds that they do.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Deb

I didn't find the smoke too bad on this last trip. The worst was in Amsterdam where I actually went to a Hard Rock Cafe to get a real non smoking section and escape.(no I am not proud of this fact) No problems in Spain, France, Turkey, italy, Russia.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Kyle

Dear healthylady, <BR><BR>Please post a picture of yourself so we may diagnose your lifestyle.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Kyle

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 01:40 AM
Martine

To Healthylady:<BR>In Europe some people smoke to much, in the States some people eat to much!

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 06:36 AM
getting

I was pleasantly surprised this summer-less smoking, finally!I'm comparing this to 2 summers ago where people were defying the law and lighting up on the metro,bus,train and airport.Way to go Europe!

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Justalady

Hi, Healthylady! Didn´t you read the smoking statistics in post 2?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 05:02 AM
fr

If you Americans cant stop Columbia sending you cocaine, how do you expect us Europeans to stop you sending us tobacco?Perhaps we should bomb the drug farms in Virginia.More people die here from tobacco than from heroin yet you keep sending the stuff!Then complain about the smell afterwords!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:35 PM
ThomR

fr, you are a daft dolt.<BR>No one would send tobacco is you bloody fools didn't keep over-consuming it.<BR><BR>Get a life, loser.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 12:19 AM
spoon

ThomR<BR><BR>And the Colombians would't keep sending you cocaine if you didn't keep over- consuming it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -