Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

On Line Photo Services - Any Preferences Ofoto, WebShots, Snapfish, etc.

May 21st, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

I have seen people here use several different on-line photo services such as webshots, ofoto, etc. Any suggestions or preferences? I would like your opinions of your experiences with any of the above, or others.

Thanks!

Julie
May 21st, 2004, 09:06 AM

I like worldisround.com because you can put descriptions and text with your photos.
May 21st, 2004, 09:06 AM

My entire family and I have used Snapfish for a couple of years now. We have found it to be reliable and easy to use.
May 21st, 2004, 09:08 AM

I really like ofoto. Recently I tried shutterfly because they had a sale and I bought a box of notecards (with one of my photos) for $7.75. They were good as well.
May 21st, 2004, 09:42 AM

I use XDRIVE. YOu get 500MB of space (that's 2,500 pictures) You can also upload videos, music, etc... You can check out my "public" folder on Xdrive.

http://plus.xdrive.com/u/37479721/10...kHa3Cmk57E1e2e
May 21st, 2004, 10:36 AM

The very best product I got was a bound book of photos with legends from http://www.mypublisher.com/. It was pricey.

However, when I have gone there lately they have had problems with my pictures and haven't been able to make it work (they say the resolution of my pictures is inadequate, which is not true) so I have been printing snapbooks at Shutterfly, which is a good product, but not really a bound book. It does cost far less.
May 21st, 2004, 10:47 AM

I use Ofoto, mainly because I trust Kodak. I had photos on a site a few years ago that began as free, then charged a fee, and then went belly up just months after I paid because I didn't want to upload my photos again. Ofoto also has a download program that uploads photos quite quickly and is very user friendly. You have to invite people to view your photos, which isn't a drawback to me. It keeps strangers from wandering through my life. I have been very pleased with the products from the site too, esp. the calendars I have made from my photos.
May 21st, 2004, 10:51 AM

I've used Ofoto several times. They're quite good, fast turnaround. They seem a bit more expensive, but they almost always have deals going on like 20% off or free enlargements. Imagestation is also quite good, but it took a couple of days longer to receive my photos.
May 21st, 2004, 10:52 AM

Ofoto now has a feature that you can download pictures from albums that you have access to and print them on your own computer.
May 21st, 2004, 10:59 AM

I use ofoto as well and really like it. Its easy to use and very easy to upload pictures.

Tracy
May 21st, 2004, 11:49 AM

ofoto is easy but the photos remain small on the screen. I prefer worldisround and find it just as easy to use. Seems like ofoto is pushing more commercial items as well.
May 21st, 2004, 11:58 AM

Hi Marilyn!! How is New York City???

I like Ofoto~
May 21st, 2004, 04:33 PM

Happy Ofoto customer here!
J
May 21st, 2004, 05:04 PM

Ofoto has done a nice job on prints, including large format, and I'd use them again.

I don't care for their site as a way to display photos to friends. They primarily have the "share album" function so that it brings in more customers.

For displaying, I like Webshots.com site format but I like Virtualtourist.com better as it categorizes in a relational database sort of way. Neither of them are photo services. The problem with them is that you're giving them permanent license to your writing or photos as soon as you upload.

Pbase.com is not as slick, but still nice and with no licensing issues. MyTripReport.com is new and also without strings. Looks very promising, I think, and done up by a Fodorite as I recall.

I now just host my own website, so I do pictures that way. Easiest for me.
May 21st, 2004, 07:26 PM

Hi Scarlett!
New York is exciting as ever. Having a cocktail with Kal & Mrs. Kal tomorrow evening. (Apologies for hijacking thread!)
May 21st, 2004, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your info. We're going to London/Edi this summer and want to share photos and also have just adopted 2 little boys and that is another photo priority. Scarlett and Marilyn, good friends come to us in so many ways! Glad you could "see each other" here!

Julie
May 22nd, 2004, 05:57 AM

Julie, you are a gracious and kind person. Hope you have a fab trip!
May 22nd, 2004, 06:08 AM

I use ofoto.com for many of the same reasons that others do. It has been a good way to share photos with others in a conrolled environment that also lets them order if they wish. It saves a LOT of hassle with our college SE Asia trip where there were a number of people who wanted copies of my photos. This way they could pick and choose themselves and I didn't have to get into the details