Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

On Business in Rennes - what to see & do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Rennes for 3-4 days for business next week. I would like some suggestions for what to see & do. Though I absolutely love Paris, I will be traveling alone and would prefer to see some of the places near Rennes. I prefer train travel.

Any suggestions?
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:02 PM

Eat at Léon le Cochon. There is an éco-musée near the city which is interesting. It is a working farm that preserves some of the older breeds of various animals. Unfortunately we were there on a day when museums were closed, but the old part of the city is worth strolling about.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:27 PM

The old town in Rennes has some interesting half-timbered houses, near he Cathedral, Place Des Lices, Place Ste-Anne, worth a visit. If you like museums, Musee des Beaux-Arts has impressive collections. If you are interested in gardens, Jardin Du Thabor is as nice as many famous English gardens.

For out of town, hourly train (takes a little more than one hour) goes to St.Malo- an interesting rebuild walled-town with expansive beaches, very good seafood.

Or a short bus ride to Dinan - a beautiful old town upon the hill, well-kept medieval section, good weekly market on Thursday.

Or another direct bus ride to Mont-St-Michel.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. Does anyone know of a website to check / book bus trips to St.Malo, Dinan or Mont-St-Michel. I was very sorry to have missed Mont-St-Michel on my last trip to Paris so I think this is something I'd really like to do.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 12:05 PM

For bus schedules from Rennes, please check: www Lescourriersbretons.fr.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 06:29 PM

I didn't really like St. Malo (maybe because I found out it had all been reconstructed after the WWII bombing, or maybe because it wan't as special as other places). Loved Dinan, but adored Mont St. Michel which is one of my most favorite places in the universe. Read prior threads on the Mont.