Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Olympics London 2016 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/olympics-london-2016-a-1014945/)

bilboburgler May 21st, 2014 10:26 AM

Olympics London 2016

I understand that London is now offically on "standbye" in case the Brasilians cannot pull it off. Given that London is the only place with most of the kit not being used or fully mothballed. Just thought those who plan stuff a long way out should be aware of the risk

dotheboyshall May 21st, 2014 10:28 AM

So where will the athletes stay?

Most of the "kit" IS in use - and reconfigured for other purposes.

If you want somewhere where "kit" isn't in use try Beijing or Sydney

colduphere May 21st, 2014 10:44 AM

Next time I'll understand that London opening ceremony. Something about the National Health System.

hetismij2 May 21st, 2014 10:56 AM

Where have you read that?? Got a link to a reliable source?

There has been a rumour about it for a while (mostly from DM and it's ilk I think) but the IOC has always strenuously denied it. As dotheboyshall says the site has largely been recycled into it's new uses as was always intended for the "sustainable Olympics".

RM67 May 21st, 2014 11:26 AM

I can actually believe this. Didn't something similar happen with the Olympics in Greece - Sydney being put on standby because there were concerns about the facilities not being ready. I might get a bloody ticket this time too!

Dickie_Gr May 21st, 2014 12:03 PM

I have heard the same report.

Be nice to go to a foreign country from Scotland for the 2016 London Olympics!

PalenQ May 21st, 2014 12:41 PM

Will Queen Elizabeth II parachute into open the games again?

emily71 May 21st, 2014 12:58 PM

More importantly they will have to put the STA missles on the tower blocks again.

cathies May 21st, 2014 01:05 PM

The athletes village in Sydney is now privately owned housing. I don't know where they would put everyone.

flpab May 21st, 2014 06:02 PM

The Olympic pool can be used any time for £29 a month. My friend swims there as his flat is close by.

PatrickLondon May 21st, 2014 10:29 PM

Most of the kit was only ever temporary anyway, and substantial sums have been spent converting the main park into an ordinary urban park, the media centre is on course to be taken over by media company offices, the housing is converted and being let (and new housing being built over various practice arenas and the like) - not to mention the saga of all the legal complications of the main stadium (where work is, I think, already in hand). So it couldn't be done without vast additional expense - would the IOC be vounteering to pay all that?

Thought not.

dotheboyshall May 21st, 2014 11:48 PM

How about Glasgow

PalenQ May 22nd, 2014 12:52 PM

Glasgow with the highest crime rate in western Europe, some sources say - well yes they would welcome the well-heeled crowds for sure!

hetismij2 May 22nd, 2014 01:33 PM

Pal, Glasgow is hosting the Commonwealth Games this year, and so has Olympic standard facilities available. It isn't such a daft idea, no dafter than believing the Olympics will move to London.
And I find it hard to believe Glasgow is a more dangerous city for the average tourist than Barcelona, Madrid or Paris.