Olympic Airways from the States

Mar 12th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Amy

Olympic Airways from the States

Has anyone use OA to travel to and from Greece? Are they as bad as everyone says? I would love some feedback.

Mar 12th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Grandma

Well.... we flew Olympic JFK to Athens in 1996. Remember it as one of the worst flights (especially coming home) we ever had. Plane was dirty, etc. Another no no on my list now is Egypt Air (flight in 2000).... AND we were in business class!!!

Mar 12th, 2002, 05:14 PM
x

I would really get nervous when the EgyptAir pilot announces "Allah-akbar" and puts the aircraft into a dive.

Mar 12th, 2002, 05:22 PM
dino

olympic is very good airline. good service.only thing is that its expensive! so if your budget conscious stick to a charter plane like world airways out of new york.

Mar 12th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Joanne

Amy: We flew from JFK to Athens on Olympic 5-6 years ago and it was awful.
As posted above, the plane was dirty; the bathrooms disgusting. The crew spent more time in the galley with the curtains pulled smoking than taking care of the passengers. They were unfriendly and seemed to care little about being helpful.

Our trip back to the states was similarly dreadful. Before we took off an altercation arose because some passengers had arbitrarily seated themselves in seats not assigned to them. When the assigned passengers arrived they refused to move. We thought they would go to blows and the crew did nothing to straighten it out. It was complete chaos when we arrived in NYC and we almost missed our connecting flight.

We loved Athens and all the islands we visited, but if you can make other arrangements on another airline do so!

j

Mar 13th, 2002, 06:18 AM
nancy

Hi Amy,

I would avoid Olympic from the States. When we went to Greece a few years ago, we flew from Wash/Dulles to Franfurt via United, and then took Lufthansa from Franfurt to Greece.

On the return, we had to take Olympic to London, before going home, and although the flight was smooth, the service was awful.

I agree with the other poster who talked about the crew spending most of their time in the galley. That's what they did to us, and even "slammed" the curtain shut at one point, when their was a line to get in the bathroom--I guess they were annoyed that some people could see them through parts of the open curtain.

We found the seats very uncomfortable (I believe it was a 747) and the seats just seemed worn. The crew acted like it was a disturbance to serve us.

I would really consider flying another airline to Europe, and then transfering to Greece. Most airlines in Europe (Air France, B.A., Lufthansa, KLM) have flights from their cities to Athens.

Have a great trip!

Mar 13th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Amy

Thanks for all the input. But I decided to go with Olympic anyway:

1)it's a direct flight--so it saves me time
2)they have a new fleet of A340--hoping it hasn't been trashed yet.

I'll try to sleep it off to counter the bad service then.

Wish me luck