Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Olympic Airlines...has anyone flown them JFK-ATH?

Old May 18th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying Olympic this summer to Greece and just wondering how the service is on the ground and in the air.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

bump
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:25 AM

I flew that route with them in coach in late 2005. I am not sure what you mean about service on the ground. I do remember that the plane seemed to be a bit old (frayed upholstery, etc) but they were more or less on a par with the usual American or European carriers in coach.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:50 AM

I flew them back in 1991 from JFK to Athens and thought they were great. However, www.airlinequality.com has them listed as a two-star airline.

Read these comments.

www.airlinequality.com/Forum/olymp.htm
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy,

Thanks for your reply. I was referring to the reps. at the check-in and gate counters. Just wondering...not a huge deal, but I have found their customer service reps. to be less than friendly/helpful.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

wally,

Thanks for the link. Looks like it is really hit or miss with them. Hopefully, our flight will be one of the hits and not the misses!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:17 AM

I don't remember the staff at the gate. I do remember that the staff at their ticket office in New York were not the most helpful. Honestly, these days if I fly coach I am happy just to get there with my bags. I think we had the personal entertainment systems in the seats in front of us which helped pass the time. (Yu can check that on www.seatguru.com) We flew Aegean twice in Greece and they were better.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:30 AM

Awful...I flew them to Athens long ago and the flight was 3 hours late. Check in took hours as only 2 people were checking passengers in.
Onboard the plane was very old and worn. When I went to ask the cabin steward for a cup of water mid flight, he snapped "we're on break" and pulled the curtain shut around the galley!

Then on our connecting flight to Santorini, a puddle jumper, the Captains "girlfriend" got onboard in a miniskirt and high heels, proceeded to sit in his lap, they closed the cockpit door and off we flew somewhat amused/scared to Santorini for an hour wondering exactly what was going on in the cockpit besides flying.

It is cheap however! Gotta love the Greeks....
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:21 PM

tmac

Years ago we used Olympic for both transatlantic and internal flights once in Greece.

Throughout, the majority of Olympic staff whether ground or air-crew didn't give us the smiles we were used to on our own airlines.

However, they were polite, efficient and had manners. I much prefer those over smiles any day.

Joe
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it. I'm with you ekscrunchy, I'm really just happy to get where I'm going safe and sound and with my bags. Anything more than that is just icing on the cake.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:47 PM

Flew with them 2 years ago, from Paris to Athens. It was a new Airbus plane, and we were the ONLY ones in a huge First Class cabin. As we took off, the two stewardesses began to cook, (or heat up) some very good smeeling food, unfortunately the next minute we were all asleep (jetlag from the West Coast), and awoke to the plane landing. I was so hungry, I was about to ask for adoggy bag.
Service and the aircraft were excellent.