Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Olive oil disaster in 2014 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/olive-oil-disaster-in-2014-a-1029942/)

nochblad Nov 12th, 2014 03:45 AM

Olive oil disaster in 2014

2014 is viewed as the worst year ever for olive oil production in Italy. For what is produced the quality is expected to be very poor. For Central Tuscany the year is even worse than the disastrous 1986 when a prolonged period of sub-zero temperatures severely damaged most olive trees.

The reasons for this are two-fold - poor weather throughout the year and particularly at crucial periods as well as widespread infection by the olive fruit fly (mosca olearia).

On top of this a heatwave in Spain has resulted in their production being roughly 40% less than normal levels. Prices have soared at the exchange in Leon whereas in Italy prices at the exchange in Bari, for example, are already up 38%.

Apart from this year's production being down (as much as 80% in many areas) many are warning that oil sold as "Made in Italy" will this year include a greater proportion of inferior oil from Northern Africa and elsewhere. Read the label carefully.

Perhaps this year one should give Italian oil a miss and rush out and buy what is still available of last year's oil (here I am talking about quality oil rather than Filippo Berio type oil). Although I normally buy the new oil each year now may be an exception.

Suggestions -
1. Buy last year'squality oil which you are sure has been stored in a cool and dark place.
2. Consider buying 5 liter cans of good extra virgin oil and decant into bottles as and when needed.

ekscrunchy Nov 12th, 2014 03:48 AM

Thanks very much for this info. Maybe a visit to the Greek stores will be in order for this year. (?)

hetismij2 Nov 12th, 2014 04:02 AM

Or buy Californian?

If Italy produced all the oil which claims to be Italian the whole country, and then some would need to be olive grove.

nochblad Nov 12th, 2014 04:40 AM

I don't have news about Greece this year. Anyone?

Total Italy production - unfortunately the olive oil market in Europe is dominate by the multinationals - Uniliver, Nestlé and others - who have great power in Brussels (i.e. the European Union).

This is the reason why you need to read the label carefully. What appears as Italian oil can be made substantially of "olive comunitarie" - in other words a mix of oil from different parts of Europe (especially Spain being the largest producer). The oil is "Made" principally around Lucca and is "passed off" (an English legal term - I do not know if this is understood in America) as Italian as it can be sold at a higher price.

Italy for years has tried to strengthen the interpretation of "Made in Italy" but it is a long and difficult battle. The only certainty is to buy oil with either the DOP or IGP label unless you have personally visited the producer.

sparkchaser Nov 12th, 2014 04:51 AM

I guess it's a good thing I get mine from Spain.

sparkchaser Nov 12th, 2014 04:55 AM

As in, I already got mine...

RM67 Nov 12th, 2014 05:48 AM

I prefer Spanish anyway :-)

sparkchaser Nov 12th, 2014 06:00 AM

So do I :D

nochblad Nov 12th, 2014 06:11 AM

chacun à son goût

IMDonehere Nov 12th, 2014 06:13 AM

http://www.economist.com/news/busine...pressing-issue

From earlier this year.

nochblad Nov 12th, 2014 06:26 AM

IMDonehere

quite right

the olive oil business is a very murky business just like newly pressed oil

DebitNM Nov 12th, 2014 06:37 AM

The same thing here in Provence. We helped our friends pick last week. Last year they harvest 200+ kilos of olives. They sold property with half their trees but even so - we picked 11 kilos. And even those olives were not so hot. I don't want to tell you why...as they press them regardless, but let's just say of you were vegetarians you wouldn't want this oil.

BUY NOW prices are sure to sky rocket.

Good news is we had great exchange rate today $100 = 124.4€

DebitNM Nov 12th, 2014 06:38 AM

Opps. 100€. = $124.42

Dai Nov 12th, 2014 09:12 AM

" I don't want to tell you why...as they press them regardless, but let's just say of you were vegetarians you wouldn't want this oil. "

Hi DebitNM, as a vegetarian who regularly buys EVOO, will you please tell me what this means?

DebitNM Nov 12th, 2014 09:16 AM

You won't like it... There were tiny worms in the olives. They press them, anyway. I didn't ask at the moulin what they did about the worms...

nochblad Nov 12th, 2014 09:23 AM

The worms are probably from the olive fruit fly.

sparkchaser Nov 12th, 2014 09:30 AM

The worms are bonus protein.

You don't want to know what's in your peanut butter.

Caliban Nov 12th, 2014 09:30 AM

Mmmmmm. Worm juice.

HappyTrvlr Nov 12th, 2014 09:30 AM

For anyone in the NYC area, International Foods on n 9th Ave, near Port Authority, sells excellent Cretan olive oil. Maybe it's time to stock up.

Finecheapboxofwine Nov 12th, 2014 11:15 AM

Good thing my FIL winters in Spain and always brings back loads of olive oil for us.