Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   olive oil (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/olive-oil-176175/)

rlm Aug 15th, 2001 05:01 PM

olive oil

does anyone know where we can get some good olive oil to take back home with us? How do we get it home? ship it? what about balsamic vinegar?

debbie Aug 15th, 2001 05:21 PM

rlm-- a few weeks or more past there was a couple of postings re: olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I just put each one, (one at a time) into the search box and those posts popped up. You may enjoy reading them as they will answer your question.

Linda Aug 15th, 2001 05:23 PM

Knowing what country you are going to be in would be very helpful.

Debbie Aug 15th, 2001 06:31 PM

Linda-- my bet is Italy as it is the only country I know of that produces aceto balsamico- balsamic vinegar. The references I alluded to were for Italy.

Mike Miller Aug 16th, 2001 02:35 AM

A handy item to take with you are some gallon zip lock bags. If the olive oil container breaks, it will not ruin the remainder of your contents. We also use them for the wine we buy.

Ian Aug 16th, 2001 02:59 AM

I pulled up an old posting "Quality of Italian Olive Oil" which you will find under the Italy section.

xxx Aug 16th, 2001 03:59 AM

Rlm still won't say what country, so why not wait until he reveals this.

Ian Aug 16th, 2001 04:29 AM

I thought balsamic vinegar only comes from Modena or not?

debbie Aug 16th, 2001 08:06 PM

Ian- you are right. <BR> <BR>As an importer of balsamic vinegar it traditionally is produced in Modena, ITALY. However, I know suppliers in Naples who state on their label, "Balsamic Vinegar of Modena" but when you look at their doc number (on each bottle of the stuff) it shows, "NA" for Naples. Unfair advertising? Modena is the place and, "MO" should show on bottle.

vixie Aug 17th, 2001 07:21 AM

This is one of my best travel secrets. I always go to the grocery store to buy the local olive oils from that region. They run about 1/3 of the cost of the same brand in tourist shops. I've purchased several differnt kinds from all over Italy and Spain. The above reference to the zip lock bag for spills is a must! I've gone so far as to take a smaller carry on bag (like those tour operaters give you) and pack it into my luggage. If something spills, at least all is not ruined...

Cherrie Aug 17th, 2001 09:05 AM

Not sure where you are going, but if it's Italy, skip the olive oil there and go to Spain to get it directly. :D A large portion of Italy's olive oil is produced from olives grown in Spain! Whether it's Italian or Spanish olive oil though, they are both delicious!

xx Aug 17th, 2001 09:28 AM

Greek olive oil from Kalamata is the best in the world

Lisa Aug 17th, 2001 03:39 PM

I went to our local sporting good store and purchased waterproof bags to carry my oil in and also to carry my shampoos and such in, spills do occur often!