Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Older men and women walking arm in arm in Madrid.. whats the deal?

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

One thing I found to be interesting in Spain and Portugal was the many older couples who were always walking arm in arm for their daily stroll. It seemed so romantic and touching. I did not see anyone under 50 doing this so I wondered what the deal was. Is it a dying cultural institution? Is it common anywhere else in Europe?
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 01:24 PM
ira

"...spent over three weeks visiting many of the major cities in Europe in a variety of countries. I visited small towns, rural areas and big European Capitals".

And you can't answer your own question?
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 01:32 PM

They're probably leaning on each other for support while they laugh at TG.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 01:53 PM

<<< the many older couples who were always walking arm in arm for their daily stroll. >>>

Obvious, in'it, they are using each other for support - if they let go they'd just fall over
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Can't you just take a nice thing for what it is? They love each other and are enjoying their stroll, let's assume. Why do you feel compelled to questions every little thing you noticed in Europe? It's really a very strange fixation you seem to have.

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 02:28 PM

It's called, the Spanish Steps.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Most of those you see arm in arm are Siamese twins, joined at the forearm and elbows.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 03:05 PM

travelguru1,
I don't think anything of it, as my husband and I often walk arm in arm. Of course, we are over 50

Sandy
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 03:10 PM

I think of this as a re-joining. The men and the women each had responibilities and behaviors dictated by culture, much of it separately. As they get older their is a new apprecaition of the other and a recognition of the better things. Besides holding one another up, there is often true affection.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 03:45 PM

Some people ridiculed us for walking arm in arm to Mass (in Oklahoma). Wife is Madrileña; and at the time we were in our 40's.
Do you think there's something wrong with such a display of affection? I agree with Suze: why must you question such behavior? I have seen it in Spain, in France, in Italy, in Portugal. In southern Europe, it's the norm!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 03:54 PM
LN

That is odd!! I've seen many (younger than 50) walking hand in hand in many European cities.

Perhaps we just don't see it as often in the states.

Ahhhh Romance!!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 03:55 PM

My parents in Corvallis, Oregon do it all the time!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 04:07 PM

TG,

It's quite common is Eastern Europe and Russia and not limited to older age group. You may frequently see women friends walk arm in arm and more rarely, men. But certainly couples. Not sure about now, but 25 years ago in Moscow you could see college students (girlfriends) walk together in twos or threes, arm in arm.

I recently saw a travel program on Turkey and noted some women doing the same. Then again, those may have been Russian tourists

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 04:32 PM

funny that the fact that the typical Madrillenos of that age group are dressed better than most church-go'ers here in the U.S. didn't come up What floored my wife was the number of middle-aged (and senior) couples out and about in Plaza Del Sol well after midnight, again - dressed very properly.

and at least if he's fixated, it's not on something like the "sexo publico" scene that I noted in every park in Madrid - after my daughter clued-me in. We had cars when I was a teen...
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 04:39 PM

They are restraining themselves from slapping you.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 04:50 PM

oh, chicagolori, that was a good one.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 05:04 PM

I'm MUCH more curious about the sex in public parks that ronin refers to. Now THAT is an interesting question...

"Why don't people in America have sex in public parks as often as the people in Europe do?"

Maybe "travelguru1" will post that topic for us next?
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Maybe the public park scene has something to do with Europeans living with their parents until a much older age then in the US. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:58 PM

They do it in Argentina too.
The Yankee and I are doing it in practice for when we are "older"...clue -it has something to do with love and closeness.........
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:47 PM

It is cultural yes and sometimes can be generational I suppose. In many Spanish, Cuban & other cultures as well, women of all ages walk arm in arm as do couples.
Brothers and sisters will be more affectionate than in US at least and fathers and sons as well.

As for the walking arm in arm, I just love it. It is not that easy for those not used to it I suppose. It was not part of DH's culture but when he saw how much I loved it when we were in Spain, he soon got into the practice (with a little urging). At first I think he started it out more tongue in cheek. But now is very natural for him. For me it is one of the lovely gestures of my culture and I feel happy walking arm in arm. It reminds me of my parents. As long as it is not the "claw" which is something altogether different.

Interesting thing about these habits and customs. They change and evolve. Shaking hands for instance, is now a thing of the past with young people. They do the fist bumping thing, the knocking of the shoulders thing as a greeting. I've also noticed American couples (men & women) will now hug each other upon being introduced for the first time, instead of shaking hands. Interesting change.

I prefer some of the old ways. Walking arm in arm, it requires you to be in touch with the cadence of your partner in more ways than one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO