20th anniversary in Lake Como

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Lake Como in September and need recommendations on a charming, beautiful and comfortable hotel that is not over the top. We will be flying in from Rome to Milan. Not sure yet how we are getting from/to Milan - haven't crossed that bridge. I am getting quotes from 400.00 - 1200.00 Euro's per night from the best of the best hotels. Would like to be under more in the 200.00 - 300.00 Euro's range - or less.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It would really HELP if you told us which hotels you have ALREADY heard from and what you consider to be the "best of the best." It would also help if you were to reveal the attributes you PREFER in a hotel rather than expecting a bunch of people to waste their time and your own by suggesting places you wouldn't begin to consider.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 07:14 AM

I would look at these 4:
Hotel Florence---Bellagio
Hotel Belvedere---Bellagio, on the hill above town
Albergo Lenno--in Lenno
Hotel Du Lac in Varenna

Heer are some images that you may enjoy.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 07:15 AM

Oops---sorry.
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4442
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

I have heard from the Villa E'Este, Villa Serbelloni, Villa Feltrinelli. Maybe I should I say the best of the best in price.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Bob - the Hotel Florence looks charming. Do you have a preference on any of those?
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 11:48 AM

www.bellagio.info my fav www.hotelscombined.com 12o euro for me Perché il residence l’Ulivo, se da un lato si struttura come un complesso di appartamenti autonomi ed autosufficienti, ... il Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni. ...
http://www.residence-bellagio.com/Ul...ic/r_index.cfm

or

www.hotelflorencebellagio.it Twain stayed there very nice.
Ambasciatori great shopping in Milan or any of the Boscolos
for more upscale.

Happy Planning and congrats!
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 12:53 PM

If you want Bellagio then the Florence is hard to beat---right at the ferry dock you see in my pics.

If you want an apt. see the L'Ulivo also in my pics--we stayed there celebrating our 50th. See my trip report by clicking on my name above.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 12:56 PM

We loved Albergo Milano in Varenna. Our room had a terrace overlooking the lake....just beautiful. The hotel restaurant was very good as well.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 02:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
FWIW, I prefer the views from Varenna.

We've stayed multiple times at the Hotel Florence and Residence Lalimonera (apartments) in Bellagio and at the Hotel du Lac in Varenna. I love all three options for different reasons, but in September I think I'd put the du Lac in Varenna on top because it will be slightly less crowded in Varenna.

You can arrange private transport from Milan to anywhere on the lake, but the train from Milano Centrale to Varenna (and then ferry to Bellagio) is simple (albeit less than glamorous). One of my favorite mental postcards of Italy is walking from the Varenna train station to the ferry dock as the lake comes into view.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Lots of good suggestions. I am checking prices on all. We will be in there the 3rd week of September. Shouldn't the crowds be dying down?

We are coming off of a ship in Rome. Trying to decide the best way to get from Rome to Lake Como?

Is it best to have a car in Lake Como? Scooters?
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 05:21 PM

The lake is a popular destination as long as the weather is good, and it can be very busy (esp. on weekends) through September and into October. Some hotels and restaurants in the mid-lake area (Varenna/Bellagio/Menaggio) begin closing down after the second weekend in October.

Unless you're planning excursions away from the lakeshore, you don't 'need' a car. The ferry system will take you likely everywhere you would want to go. Most of the towns around the lake are small, and parking is limited.

If you decide to take a car, you would probably want to stay in Varenna or Menaggio for the best/most excursion options. If you stayed in Bellagio, you might find yourself needing to take the car ferry to one shore or the other to see what you want to see. You would also need to know where your hotel's overnight parking is located (not always adjacent) and how much it costs. For a first trip to Lake Como, I would strongly recommend using public trans.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jean. The only reason I mention a car is because we have to get from Rome to Lake Como. However, that is beginning to look the like least attractive option.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 10:10 PM

That's your call. Going by train involves a change in Milan (and Rome if you're starting in Civitavecchia). If you have large luggage or more than a wheelie bag plus a carry-on per person, then travelling on multiple trains and getting on/off ferries may be less appealing than loading the car once and driving all the way to your lake hotel. If driving, you'll need to make meal and rest stops, but you can also visit a small town or two along the way.

On the other hand, going by train means both of you can relax and watch the scenery go by. Food service and restrooms are available, and you don't need to load up on maps, GPS, driving directions, etc. (If you drive, you'll also need an International Driving Permit.)

IMO, if you haven't driven in Italy before, that's a long initiation. Would you consider breaking up the drive by stopping for a night or two somewhere, say, in Tuscany?
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 01:43 AM

How long will you be staying? If just a few days, there is no need for a car. If you train from Milan, sit on the left side of the train for the best views.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 01:44 AM

Sorry, should have added if you take the train to Varenna, sit on the left.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

We are only going to lake Como for 3 nights. I have made reservations in Bellagio. Would like to make the most of the time by getting there as "fast" as possible. Departure from the ship is at 7am. The ship is small so perhaps it won't take a long time for disembarkation.

Do you know how rough the water is on those ferries? It seems like the most logical choice given we are at the water already on the ship.

We have a 2nd home 6 hours a way from our primary home so we are used to driving long distances straight through. How is the drive? Highways almost the whole way?
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 06:21 AM

My DH (rip) was cheap. No way to sugar coat it. He didn't want to share bathrooms so that was one good thing. Although we had our share of shabby rooms and amazingly tiny showers, we always met interesting people and I think had more local experiences.

In Bellagio, we stayed at La Pergola and with just the tiniest "didn't likes" thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. I just looked at Trip Advisor and the first review was awful. If you show good manners, you will be treated well. We had to leave one day early because it was Easter Monday, we had an early train to catch, and the ferries were on holiday schedule. Mrs. Gatto (?) called another innkeeper friend in Varenna and helped us arrange our last-minute overnight stay there. We gave her flowers as thanks and she invited us to the sold out Easter dinner. OMG! So many courses of very good food. We ate at their resto our first night there and gave the meal a C+, but the Easter meal got an A-.

I do agree with other posters here whose reccos will give you wider views. As I re-read above, I think you found a place already???

http://www.lapergolabellagio.it/
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 08:49 PM

With respect, driving 6 hours on a familiar route to an oft-visited destination can't be compared to driving in a foreign country, reading traffic and directional signs in another language, etc. I think driving would take slightly longer, but it's going to take the better part of a day whatever you decide.

We've never experienced rough water on the ferry that operates the Varenna/Bellagio/Menaggio routes.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Yes Jean we have experienced that and gotten lost in Europe before. We do carry a GPS now. But just to be safe I added one extra day to the trip so if we get a little out of the way we have time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -