Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Old Antibes or St. Jean Cap Ferrat on the Cote d'Azur

Mar 24th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

We're down to two locations (4 different properties) in old Antibes and St. Jean Cap Ferrat on the Cote d'Azur for a trip by 2 couples (mid- to late-50s) in first week of June, 2008. Which location is better? All of the properties are beautiful but I'm not sure which town/location is better. We'll be venturing out for day trips along the coast as well as interior (to St. Paul de Vence, Eze, Grasse) and a fair amount of time just enjoying where we are (the apartment, the shops, the local beaches, the local restaurants). Do you think one has superior beaches, restaurants, shops, etc? The views are incredible from both/all locations.

Thanks in advance,

KC
Mar 25th, 2007, 12:56 AM

I would think Cap Ferrat would be more exclusive and expensive. But more residential, in a mansion kind of way.

Post the links once you've decided.
Mar 25th, 2007, 03:39 AM

Both peninsulas are the premium locations on the Cote.

Cap Ferrat is smaller, quieter and more exclusive. There is no old town on the peninsula. For restaurants and shops you will probably drive to Nice.

Antibes is a charming old city with museums, cafés etc., so offers more for an evening walk. If you are looking for restaurants and shops, Antibes has more to offer.

In terms of location, both places are equivalent. Cap Ferrat is very close to the corniches while Antibes is central to tours in all directions.

Do not miss a drive along the corniche d'Esterel - IMO the scenic highlight of the Cote d'Azur.

Maybe you should make your decision depending on the quality of the hotels.
Mar 25th, 2007, 05:12 AM

Good advice from traveller1959. Which hotels are you looking at? Both places are good for the trips you want to do.
Mar 25th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Where is this corniche d'Esterel?

Sounds like a mountain pass.

Does it make sense to rent a more powerful car?

Are there scenic turnouts?
Mar 25th, 2007, 07:33 AM

I have rented villas at Cap Ferrat and find it convenient to touring with a car. There is the marina where there are restaurants and easy walking distance from most parts of the Cap to
Beaulieu.

Antibes is of course nice too. I think your decision should just be which property suits you better.
Mar 25th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Corniche de l'Esterel is the road which follows the coast between Fréjus/Saint Raphaël and Cannes. It is very scenic but will be very crowded in July. No need to have a very powerful car !
Mar 25th, 2007, 02:24 PM

We've stayed in St. Jean Cap Ferrat....loved it, saw Ivana Trump at the marina.
We've got a property in Antibes bookmarked for fall 2008. Its www.azuremaison.com. We're trying to find reviews now. If we can verify that it's as good as the website depicts, we're there!!
Mar 25th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Judy, we will be there in July! Yes, it looks beautiful! I found it by chance just as we were about to make a reservation at an apartment in Villefranche-sur-mer where we have stayed inthe past. Someone named Newtourista wrote about Azure Maison here on Fodor's but never posted any other info about it even though I posted to try to get more info from her. The owner has been great to deal with - answering many questions for us. I am curious as to how you found this place.

I will be happy to post info for you upon our return or while we are there.
Mar 25th, 2007, 03:42 PM

Marianna, I think I found the property on the same thread that you did! I know I saved it quite a while ago. It was Newtourista's one and only post...although if it was the owner, I guess one has to start somewhere. I look at the webite and think, look at those photos, how bad can it be?
I would love to hear how you like it...thanks!
Mar 25th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Yes, she posted in the fall for a visit in October and we booked it around that time for July. She even posted on Trip Advisor about this apaprtment but never returned with any feedback about it.

I have rented for holidayrentals -uk before and have been very pleased. The owner has been very responsive - recently I found that it appeared as if our week, which we have sent in the deposit for, suddenly became available. I emailed immediately and he apologized and the website was corrected within hours.

It does look lovely and we decided to go with it since our son and his fiance will be traveling with us once again and the location would be perfect for them to go out until late at night exploring cafes and shops while we would just want to rest and relax.

I will let you know how it works out.
Mar 26th, 2007, 03:56 AM

Thanks, Marianna, and sorry, knoxville couple, to divert your thread.
Mar 26th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

No problem Judy, particularly since Azure Maison is one of the four properties I'm considering. It certainly has an elegant website and looks perfect. The other three I'm considering are:

1. an apartment on St. Jean Cap Ferrat - Property 14333 through homeaway.com - http://tinyurl.com/29wude

2. a different apartment in Antibes - "Antibes Vue" - rented through athomeinfrance.com - http://tinyurl.com/2q6rpe

3. another Antibes apartment on Avenue de Verdun - newer bldg offered through holiday-rentals.co.uk - http://tinyurl.com/2gq7hw

Hope someone can weign in on these as well as the beautiful one about which we have so little info other than an incredible website.

KC
Mar 26th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Difficult choice!! As Sea Urchin said, I'm sure you'd be happy in either location.
It looks like the St. Jean Cap Ferrat property is close to the marina and we found several restaurants and shops within easy walking distance from there. You'd also be close to a lovely hotel with restaurant, Voile d'Or.
Let us know what you decide to do.
Mar 26th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Hello
While Vielle Antibes is very charming and offers a great variety of restaurants, shops, the marche etc... I would be wary of renting an apartment directly inside the ramparts if you will have a car rental. Parking in veille Antibes is very difficult especially in mid summer (July and August). The apartments you are looking at, knoxvillecouple look like they are just outside the ramparts, but within walking distance, and do have a designated parking spot. This is perfect but I am concerned about azuremaison. It looks gorgeous but I see no mention (unless I missed something) of a parking spot or garage for the apartment. From what I can see in the photos this apartment is just inside the ramparts and right around the corner from a small public parking lot which is very crowded in summer and very occupied with all the other residents who require parking. I know this area very well. Do inquire about the ease or existence of parking for this or any other apartment within the ramparts of vielle Antibes.

Having said that Antibes is a little more central for visitng Western Riviera ie Cannes, St Tropez, Provence etc and Cap Ferrat is closer to Nice, Italy, Monaco but either location is good. I prefer Antibes though.
Apr 21st, 2007, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

We have decided to rent the condo/apartment in St. Jean Cap Ferrat. The owner is from Detroit but lives half year in Europe (lucky guy), but all apartment arrangements are through a local agent. The price is good also - 1500 euros for the week.

KC
Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:30 AM

Looks lovely, KC! I'm sure it will be perfect for you.

Have a great trip!

Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:51 AM

Have fun and have some pizza at the wood fired pizza place at the marina!
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Marianna and SeaUrchin - I'm sure we'll have a great time. Does that pizza go great with any particular wine (or beer)?

KC
Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:57 PM

Be sure to tell us about the apartment, KC - I am always on the lookout for good places to stay. We love that area. We stayed in a lovely apartment in Villefranche-sur-mer two years ago and loved it, but decided on Antibes because son and FDIL wil be with us and we thoght they would like Antibes a little better than the peacefulness of VFSM.

I will let you know how the Azure Maison works out for us. We go in July. I did contact the owner and asked about parking problems but he said it should be fien - it gets worse in Aygust and we will be sther ein early July.

SeaUrchin, I know you are interested in this property for a future trip - I'll keep you posted, too.

Happy travels to you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO