Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Oktoberfest question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/oktoberfest-question-169043/)

Pirate Mar 6th, 2002 12:10 PM

Oktoberfest question

I know it's early, but there's something to be said for advance planning. I just scored excellent hotel rooms in a nice hotel for a very fair price!<BR>So now I'm going to Munich for Oktoberfest.<BR>My question to an Oktoberfest veteran:<BR>I'm a little confused on how the tents work. Do you need reservations to get in? How do you get reservations? Or, as a group of 4 or less, is it unimportant to have tent reservations?<BR>Thanks in advance.

Anna Mar 6th, 2002 12:28 PM

We went last September and had a blast. It is like nothing I've ever been to before. All of the tents have reserved and nonreserved tables, if you arrive early enough you can usually find some seats. We usually tried to get there by 3 or 4:00PM. I think you have to have 8 people to reserve a table. We're hoping to go again this fall. If you don't mind can I ask where you're staying? The Hacker Pschorr tent was our favorite, we have some pictures from Oktoberfest posted on our web site.<BR>http://kerstentraveler.tripod.com/germanyaustria2001.htm<BR>Here is a link to the official Oktoberfest web site:<BR>http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/

Pirate Mar 6th, 2002 12:43 PM

Thanks!<BR><BR>I got 2 rooms, both with two twin beds (4 guys going) at the Torbrau, which is in Central Munich near the Hofbrauhaus. It's four stars and well-reviewed in many guides. It was 200 euros a night, which seems to be quite a bargain for a four star hotel at that time of the year. Many nice hotels in central Munich are running 300US+.

Julie Mar 6th, 2002 01:17 PM

We were at the Octoberfest last year. It was great fun. We stayed in Garmisch and took the train to Munich. That worked well. As long as you will be right in Munich I suggest you go a couple of times. On your first trip go early (find out when it opens--we were there on a holiday and it opened earlier than normal, don't know how much of that occurs and how varied opening hours are--we got in at 10) and walk around from tent to tent only having a stein when you're actually thirsty. That way you can get a feel for the various tents and decide which one(s) you like best and would really like to spend some serious time at. You can also walk around the whole place and take in some of the other stuff that is there. It's a real fair with games and food, etc. not just solid beer tents from one end to the other. Then come back on a second day around 3 or 4 as Anna suggests for an evening at your selected tent. If you want to return later, you probably do need reservations but I'm not sure how easy they are to get once the fest is in full swing. I hope some other fest-experienced poster can advise you in that regard. However you decide to do it, you'll have fun. One other point-there's no admission to the grounds. The only charges are for food, drink, games and souvenirs. You can go as often as you want--or as your constitution can stand.

Art Mar 6th, 2002 01:24 PM

Hi Anna.<BR>Pirate I've been to the Octoberfest 5 times although 4 of them were many years ago when I lived in Germany. As Anna mentioned, we had a small fodorite GTG at Octoberfest last September. It truly was a blast. You are smart to book your hotel now as they really fill up for the fest. Do get to the tents early if you want to be able to sit together. We were there on a Thursday evening, went into the tent about 3:30 and barely found a place where we could sit together. On weekends it is much worse. Have a blast.<BR><BR>

Anna Mar 6th, 2002 01:31 PM

Hi Art! Prost!

bratwurst Mar 7th, 2002 07:38 AM

jean Apr 4th, 2002 08:16 AM

The easiest time for us to find a seat in a tent was on a Sunday. You do not need reservations to get a seat, but get there early to guarantee one; you cannot get served if you do not have a seat. All the tents have tables outside too, as long as it is not raining, that's where I would prefer because of all the smoke in the halls.<BR><BR>Wear clothes that you do not mind having beer spilled on, jeans and old tennis are perfect for the environment. Take a rain jacket; last year it rained off and on the whole 4 days we were there. It gets warm inside the tents so wear layers.<BR><BR>If you cannot get inside a tent right away, walk around the carnival. There are "Shot Stands" at several locations around the grounds; last year they had about 25 different kinds of alcohol (jagermeister too of course).<BR><BR>It is a great time, there is no carnival even close to it anywhere in the US. Cool rides, good food and great beer.<BR><BR>The Spaten tent was our favorite--good beer and great roast beef sandwiches; they rotisserie a WHOLE cow--it is a very cool sight.

Gregg Apr 30th, 2002 06:51 AM

Pirate - Good call on the Torbraeu. Stayed there last May. Nice rooms, entral location (1blk from the Hofbrauhaus) and near the market.<BR>We have a group of 4 guys heading there again during the first weekend October.<BR>Prost!