Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Okay, we're ready to book this Paris apartment -- opinions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our first trip to Paris will be this October. We've found a studio apartment that looks great and is available for our dates.

If we decided to go with a hotel, it would either be the Bonaparte or the Grande Hommes, but this apartment would be less expensive and, to us, looks great -- but we're a little apprehensive since we've never been to Paris before.

What do you think? The website is www.parisbestlodge.com/mazarine

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, it's easier to enter www.parisbestlodge.com and then go down to "Studio Mazarine."

Thanks.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 02:01 PM
cw

I've read nothing but good things about Parisbestlodge.

We tried to get one apartment but it was booked. Thierry responded to our query very quickly.

Mazarine is in a good location. The only drawback I can see is that there doesn't seem to be a couch or two comfortable chairs. There is the one chair and the table with two chairs. I like the fact that it has a terrace and it's larger than most hotel rooms, that's for sure. I'd take it if it was available. It has the added bonus of having a computer.

CW
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, Thierry has been great about responding to our emails. Im' glad you said it was in a good area -- I thought so, but I can't really tell.

We are okay with not having lots of chairs. We won't be in the room much, anyway. And we'll be able to use the computer to keep in contact with the kids.

We had originally planned to go to Normandy area for 2 nights and then Paris for 5 nights, and then today we decided to spend the whole 7 nights in Paris. I can't wait!

Any more opinions on the apartment?
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Any more opinions?
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 03:52 AM
cw

A review on slowtrav:

http://www.slowtrav.com/france/vr/review.asp?n=2739
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 06:36 AM

I will be in Paris this March and I also have booked through Paris Best Lodge (Studio Le Marais). This will be my first booking with Thierry. I was very apprehensive myself, but I have read nothing but great things about Thierry and his apartments. So far, it's been very smooth. I'm hopeful that the rest of the transaction will be just as smooth.

I was attracted by the W/D (not that I plan to do much laundry, but it's nice to cut down on items packed), the computer, and the size of the Studio itself. It's larger than many higher priced hotel rooms. Also, the kitchenette is an added plus as a nice break from eating out EVERY meal.

I'll let you know upon my return.

Good Luck!

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, cw and marce71.

I'm glad we decided to stay in Paris the whole 7 nights, but now I've got to start working on a basic itinerary. My husband and I like to get out and explore, and it seems like we'll find plenty to explore there. We might even have time for a day trip or two, but we're not sure.

Thierry emailed us the contract last night, so now we just need to send it back to him along with a deposit check.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 09:14 AM

I think it looks very good for a location in St Germain (which is very expensive) at that price, and with AC, that's amazing. Of course, you won't need it in October, I was just noticing it. It's a little larger than a good hotel room, so as long as that's all you expect, with a minimal kitchenette, it looks good. I don't care for some of the decor (like the fake wood paneling behind the bed), but that doesn't matter much for a short term.

I don't care for the location that well, myself, as it's one of those small streets leading off the quai and not that near a metro stop. It's just not an area I like that well, but it should be relatively quiet (it is over an art gallery -- that is only the first floor, though, so luckily I don't think that street is super busy with regular shops). It will be good for someone on a first trip who wants to walk to a lot of tourist attractions, though, that's for sure, as it's very near the islands, you can walk across the river easily, and a lot of people like the business of St Germain a bit down the street. It's not terribly far from a metro, so that shouldn't be a major problem -- about 3 blocks. I think it's a good choice.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Christina, What location do you prefer?
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:38 AM

If you do change your mind about Normady a must tour is http://www.lalande-normandy.com/newsite/index.asp#

The site is B&B which was reasonbale and cute but go on the day tour with Ted it is the most incredible history lesson you will ever have!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 05:29 PM

I have to be honest with you, I thought about sending the deposit using FedEx/DHL, but I ended up sending it via air mail, in a regular envelope through the post office, without any problems. Thierry contacted me when he received the post. It took a total of about 1 week from the day I sent it to when Thierry let me know he had my deposit.

Just thought I would share.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 09:05 PM

Samsaf, the location of the studio is excellent! At that rate in that area you will find only a very small Hotel room, so this is considerably better.

I also looked at this Studio for my next visit to Paris - and as the others already said - one hears only good things of Parisbestlodge. I would really say take it!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 11:46 PM

We will be in Paris in June and have booked through Thierry. So pleased to see that he is recommended. I was nervous about sending off the deposit cheque, but I think it will be ok. This apartment about 1/2 the size of the one that we have booked - it is tiny. Did you realise that in the kitchen shot you can see the end of the bed? How long are you staying?
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

We are staying 7 nights. This apartment does seem small, but it is bigger than a hotel room, which is where we usually stay. We probably won't be in the room very much.

We'll enjoy having the washer and dryer and a fridge and microwave. Other than that, we probably won't use the kitchen very much. We'll also enjoy having the computer and unlimited internet. Also, Thierry provides a cell phone for local use, so we can call him if we have any problems with the apartment.

Thierry sent the contract, and I guess today we'll make the final FINAL decision and send in the check. It does make me nervous, but I've heard great things about paristbestlodge.com, so if nothing changes during my research today, I guess we'll go ahead and finalize everything.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 06:11 AM

I looked at the photos carefully for storage -- there seems to be a medium-sized cupboard to one side of the bed.

If I were there for a week, I might need more space, esp for luggage.

(If the terrace is sheltered you might put luggage there, of course -- I don't think you'll be using a terrace very much in October.)

It certainly compares well with hotel rooms and looks immaculate.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:21 AM

Morning Samsaf and Marce71,
I hope you will like Thierry's apartments as much as we enjoyed his "Studio Le Marais"in 2004.
It was then a very quiet courtyard-facing spot and with a good bed.
He is a stickler for cleanliness.
Added bonuses, soap for the machines, and some coffee left for our morning needs.
We, too, were apprehensive about the money. Upon arrival, Thierry met us and requested total payment. You should have seen my husband on the flight constantly checking his money vest filled with 2 weeks of Euros.
I don't recall the time line on receiving our deposit but have no memory of anything unusual.
Any further questions? you can e-mail me at
[email protected]
Bon Voyage
Kathy
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Well, we have booked this apartment for the entire month of Sept. and we have never rented an apartment before! We have stayed in St. Gremain before in a hotel, though.

Reasons why we picked this particular apt: Location, Elevator, AC, computer, washer/dryer, great rec. for Thiery on Slow Trav.

Also, the monthly rate is super.

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

anthemion, please report on this apartment after you get back. (Although by that point, I guess it will be too late for us to change our minds!). Thanks very much!
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 08:06 PM

Just a thought...I think you'll really enjoy the apartment, and 7 nights is not too many, for sure. When you rent an apartment, you don't get the same guidance you get from a hotel stay (desk personnel, concierge...) - not a problem if you're prepared with guidebooks, resources, etc....it just feels a little isolating while you're settling in. We stayed 7 nights in a tiny apartment in the Latin Quarter - I sacrificed space for the convenient location - and it worked out well. Love the washer/dryer and ability to bring food back (mostly take-out; didn't do extensive cooking) and eat at "home".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -