Okay to import poppy seeds to Italy?

Apr 19th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Okay to import poppy seeds to Italy?

Hello all,
I was contemplating gifts to bring to Italy for locals we might meet…something small, light, inexpensive-yet-special. I was thinking of flower seeds…specifically, California poppies. Beautiful, easy to grow, quintessentially Californian but will happily grow in Italian climate, not virulent spreaders. They would make a nice thank-you to folks who may (hopefully) show us their lovely gardens.
Only trouble is, I’m not sure that I’ll be allowed to bring an agricultural product into the country, especially poppy seeds. You know, that whole…opium-family thing. I've had little success with online research.
Am I just being a worrier about this? Thoughts?
(I was thinking of bringing adorable Japanese-American stickers for the kids as well.)
Apr 19th, 2005, 12:26 PM

That's a nice thought--the wild poppies we've seen in France were all red. I've taken catnip seeds into France, if that's any help, as catnip is very hard to find there. But then French customs have never inquired about what we were bringing into the country.
Apr 19th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

That's very encouraging...especially since catnip tends to suffer a (wholly undeserved) questionable reputation as a human intoxicant as well as feline...along the same lines as my innocent orange poppies. Thanks!
Yes, I saw pictures of similar red poppies in a photo gallery of typical Tuscan plants...lovely.
Apr 20th, 2005, 12:27 PM
HKP

Can sniffer dogs pick up poppy seeds as a drug, does anyone know?
Apr 20th, 2005, 01:14 PM
ira

Hi E,

Transferring plants and seeds between countries without a license is frowned upon.

You don't know what the introduced plant will do to the native vegetation.

A case in point is kudzu.

I would check with your local French consulate.

Apr 21st, 2005, 06:09 AM
HKP

French consulate? Why?
Apr 21st, 2005, 06:39 AM
ira

OK, Italian consulate.
Apr 21st, 2005, 07:50 AM

This is totally in a different direction but I am throwing it out anyway.I know that this is going to be strange but alot of people on my flights going overseas take peanut butter to their guests.(I have not really seen it there except in one store?) Another "biggie" going into France is American donuts like Dunkin Donuts-for some reason everyone says that they cannot get "real" donuts there.Its really kinda funny what people take from the US to their friends overseas...........
Apr 21st, 2005, 11:21 AM

So take the seeds with. The worst that can happen is that they'll be confiscated.
Apr 21st, 2005, 11:40 AM

No, Underhill, the worst that can happen is they don't confiscate the seeds which may be harboring some pest, fungus, virus. In which case, confiscating the seeds would been the second best thing to happen. The first would have been not taking them in the first place.
Apr 21st, 2005, 11:53 AM
tod

eastwind- It's one thing bringing seeds out of your own garden which may carry disease but I think it may be another matter all together if you purchased hermetically( not sure of spelling)sealed seeds from a reputable nursery and took those with you. This is what I purchased in Australia to bring home.
To avoid any problems check with the Italian Consulate.
Apr 21st, 2005, 01:36 PM

I have openly taken packaged sunflower seeds to England from the States proably ten times, my friends there love them.

I've had my bags inspected, have seen the customs agents pick up the seeds, set them aside, then replace them when the inspection was finished.

I know that transplanting certain flowers and other flora can create problems, but apparently the customs folk didn't find the packaged seeds to be any type of threat.

Honestly, with what comes into and out of countries "accidentally" via ships, air, and other transport, I doubt that anyone percieves flower seeds as a major threat.