Okay to drive in Switzerland alone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My boyfriend's company is having a conference in Lugano, Switzerland this June and I will be tagging along for the week. I will mostly be spending the daytime exploring on my own while he is at work, and I wanted to get your opinions on whether or not driving by myself is safe (assuming I follow common sense practices). I'm 26, and I am really good at navagating by map, but I've never driven alone in a foreign country.

The reason I am specifically interested in driving is because I am a photographer and I don't want to be restricted too much by public transportation, though I understand it is excellent. Every time I travel I drive because I love to pull over whenever I see something photogenic.

Also, any opinions on Smart cars? I am on a budget and I can only drive automatic transmissions...a Smart car seemed like a good solution.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Susan
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:51 AM
rex

I would say go for it (even beter if a friend could help you learn to drive manual transmission in the next month before you leave, since it would save you hundreds of dollars, and be a lifelong useful skill) - - you won't be far from Lake Como (less than an hour from Lugano to Menaggio). You would surely love a visit to Villa Balbianiello.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:53 AM

I don't see why you shouldn't drive alone in Switzerland. However, you should know that a SMART is smaller than anything you've drove on, and probably anything you're rode on including a golf cart. You may not feel comfortable or safe if you're not prepared for its size, as it's about 1,600lb, 8.25 feet long. [In contrast, a Ford Focus is 14 feet long.] And top speed is limited to 84MPH. I wouldn't really try it on a autobahn.
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Singletail

If you are comfortable driving a smaller auto I think you'd be fine. I wouldn't worry about being on many "high speed" roads in that area of Switzerland or nearby Italy. And, if you are unwilling to learn how to drive a shift to save supposedly lots of money that's OK, too..depends on your own comfort level (both physically and financially).
Yes, the public transportation system, particularly the rail system, is excellent but it offers a limited amount of flexibility, particularly for your desires in this case.
Driving by yourself isn't any more "unsafe" there than it would be here IMO. Go for it.

Old May 10th, 2004, 10:14 AM

Terrible grammar in my last post. I mean the smallest car you'll have "driven".
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

I knew what you meant. : ) No worries!

Thanks for the suggestions. I have learned to drive a manual, but I should've said I'm only *comfortable* driving an automatic. I drive an automatic here in the States and it's just what I'm used to. If it comes down to paying more $ for the automatic regular car as opposed to the SMART car, I'll just rent for fewer days I suppose.
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

I have one more question then. Is the SMART car really unsafe to drive on the highways? Even in the right-hand lanes for slower traffic? If you say so, I'll look into a standard-sized car. I don't have a problem driving a small auto, but I don't want to put myself in any dangerous situations, especially since I'll be by myself. Thanks again!
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have only been a passenger with my girlfriend who lives in the Geneva area. I can say they drive FAST on the freeways, really fast. I would definitely stick to an automatic, would rent a normal compact car, and would consider doing a few days by train as well. Trains are fun and easy and plenty of amazing scenery! In my limited experience on the highways, I haven't seen much photogenic from the car... you'd need to get off and go into the towns or countryside anyway.
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:34 AM

I live in Switzerland, and would say driving alone is not an issue. You will probably get more parking tickets than you planned unless you learn to read German or Italian quickly. (For example, certain public metered parking spaces in front of the Kreis 1 town hall in Zurich are reserved during the mornings for people getting married, and the sign clearly says so, but boy you really have to have your English/German dictionary with you. . .) Also there are many one way streets and many pedestrian-area only areas in most towns, so pay close attention to street signs.

Also, IMO the best shots you will get will not be from areas accessible by car, but only on foot in the country, in the pedestrian-only areas of the towns, and from the great ferries and cable cars. You can take public transport to virtually any area of Switzerland and hike in or take a cable car, so a car is not really going to help you, plus parking is expensive and hard to find, esp in June in Lugano. Also remember that gas costs US$4.50 a gallon now (probably due to increase). I would reconsider the need to go to the expense of renting a car.

If you do decide to rent, be sure to get the collision damage waiver, as parking spaces here are incredibly tight and as you won't be familiar with the car you can easily take off a side view mirror or scratch the car. One major difference in driving here is that unless otherwise indicated by triangles painted on the road, at an intersection drivers coming from your RIGHT have priority. That means at a "T" intersection where there is an intersecting road on your right, a car approaching the intersection on your right has the right of way, even if you are driving on the main road and he is coming off a side road! You must stop for pedestrians in yellow cross walks, and bicyclists and motorcyclists will pass you from all angles and if you hit them it will be your fault even if they passed illegally or cut in front of you. In towns with a tram system, you sometimes drive on the track with the trams, kind of unnerving until you get used to it.

Old May 11th, 2004, 03:42 AM

Driving alone in Switzerland is perfectly safe. Now...you better take a refresher course on european driving rules. The Swiss will NOT yield if they think/know they have the right of way (I'm married to one, it doesnt only apply to driving). The rules rule! Even though I have am perfectly capable of driving in CH, avoid it as much as I can.I get extremely anxious that I'll make a mistake since I learned to drive in Puerto Rico and we are VERY casual drivers. We tend to take driving rules as general guidelines.

You might really want to think about the 'just pulling over' part of your wish to drive. There are many areas where you are not allowed to stop. Segments of roads which are very scenic or plain breathtaking do not have shoulders.

Also, how familiar are you with mountain driving? The roads around Lugano are not that steep and curvy but that can change quickly in the outskirts.

If you chose to do it, more power to you girl! I would wrestle my anxiety and do the driving if the only option was staying in a Hotel.

BTW, Lugano is absolutely picture perfect. Make sure you get a boat ride! as you sail from one lake valley to another you will have amazing views. We were in a town called Caslano and it was gorgeous.
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:19 AM

The only concern I might have is that you won't have a navigator to read a map for you. You may well get lost a few timess - but that's half the fun of Europe! Make sure you have the absolutely best highway map you can find, and keep it open on the passenger's seat.
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

I think all of the information you all have given me has talked me into using the public transportation system. It sounds magnificent! My biggest concern was sitting on the train, seeing something breathtaking and not being able to take a picture, but it sounds like I won't really be able to do that from the car, so there's not much point in driving. : ) Thanks so much for the tips -- you probably saved me money, stress, and perhaps helped me to avoid accidents, parking tickets, and getting lost!

I'll post my pictures when I return. : )
Old May 11th, 2004, 12:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think you'll be sorry with your decision to travel by train instead! And thanks for posting back and letting us know what you decided. Have a wonderful time. Switzerland is an amazing place.