Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Okay, I'm down to 4 hotels in London-Please help me decide.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 04:41 AM
Chuck

Hi all, although I'm a frequent reader, I am not a usual poster. I did a search on the following hotels and was unsatisfied and I thought I would ask for more help. <BR> <BR>We are going to London for the holidays and want to stay at the bottom of Park Lane. As a result, I am considering the Four Seasons, London Intercontinental, London Hilton, and Grosvenor House. The prices are all very comparble. Given that price and location are the same what other factors would sway you to one over the other? <BR> <BR>BTW we like larger rooms and intend to stay on the "club" floor of the hotel we choose. THanks for any advice.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 05:17 AM
elaine

Hi Chuck <BR>I will only comment on the Grosvenor House since I stayed there a couple of years ago. We were very pleased with it. It is about halfway up Park Lane, about a 10 minute walk to either the Marble Arch or Hyde Park Corner tube stops. Some rooms had decor and bathrooms that were a bit dated-looking, but all were large and of course spotless. Services in general were excellent.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 05:36 AM
Tom

Stayed at the London Hilton about a year ago and room size was nice, but overall was a bit tired and dated. They were upgrading the common areas when we were there and not sure if this extended to the private rooms. Haven't stayed at the Four Seasons in London, but have stayed at most in the US. Think hands down you can't beat them for service and would assume the same would be true in London.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 07:05 AM
kk

I agree with what Tom says about the high and consistent quality of Four Season Hotels. They are usually worth their money, and some so-called quality hotels are not.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 10:24 AM
Jim

Chuck: <BR> <BR>Four Seasons--It's that simple. <BR> <BR>Having stayed at the Hilton and Four Seasons, it was like night and day. <BR> <BR>If you book with a AMEX Platinum, the Four Seasons will upgrade your room. <BR> <BR>You will enjoy the Four Seasons.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 12:02 PM
lola

Did not like the Grosvenor House, earlier this year. Rooms unimpressive, service so-so. You can do better.

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 02:00 PM
joe

Four Seasons - hands down <BR>

Old Nov 9th, 2000, 09:42 PM
larry

I would strongly recommend the Grosvenor House. You can have a sonderful sfternoon tea, and a 4 star Italian meal. The Italian chefs are fantastic--I found the 4 seasons to be a little too stuffy - Cabs at the <BR>Grosvenor House are always available-The assistance has always been good. <BR>Have fun-hope this helped

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 06:41 AM
Colleen

I happened to hear this on the Travel Channel the other night - if you get a room on the 27th floor of the Hilton, you can see right down into the private "back yard" of Buckingham Palace. Not a big selling point, but interesting. (Hiltons aren't always worth the price, in my opinion.) Enjoy.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 08:46 AM
Neal Sanders

Chuck, I've never had a bad stay at a Four Seasons property, though I've not stayed at the Four Seasons in London. <BR> <BR>I stayed at the Grosvenor House two or three years ago (definitely post-renovation) and found the rooms very luxurious, though very much on the small side. My room overlooked Park Lane and had a French door opening onto a railing. Service was solicitous and prompt. The public areas were classic, upper-crust London.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 08:49 AM
Jan

Chuck - be sure to check out Fodor's online. They have "rants'raves" on line that can be helpful. Be wary of hotels with only one rating good or bad. Also, if you stay at any Intercontinental - join their 7 Seas or what they used to call their Six Continents Club. Will give you upgrades to next grade of rooms any time, any place. I've had gorgeous suites at the Willard in WDC and in Paris. Trying thier property this weekend in Rome. I was comped a membership. But whatever you pay will pay for itself in one visit. They generally have excellent properties. I have not stayed at the one in London - but their lobby was gorgeous and great for people watching. Happy travels.....

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 09:19 AM
Jan

I just looked at fodors.com. Connaught, Intercontinental, Durrants and Dorchester came out tops in London. But only one reviewer for Intercontinental and Durrants. Connaught reviews were oustanding. Good luck.

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 12:20 PM
Richardab

Ok , i know you are down to you last few choices but.... <BR> <BR>When in London, I always stay at the Metropolitan Hotel which is right across from the Hilton on Old Park Lane. It much more intimate and friendly. This is the place to see and be seen. Don't be surprised if you run into a supermodel or actor. <BR> <BR>The rooms a modern and have comfy beds with down comforters, CD platers, Tv, etc. The bathroom come equipt with Khiels bath products which is a nice perk. There is also a branch of Nobu restaurant in the lobby which give the hotel perferred treatment for reservations. <BR> <BR>Check out their websight... <BR> <BR>http://www.metropolitan.co.uk/ <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 29th, 2000, 04:01 PM
Elsa

Hi, <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Grosvenor House a couple of years ago. The room was quite large and very comfortable. I imagine room size does differ in a lot of hotels. The location was very convenient. <BR> <BR>We also stayed at the 4 Seasons. The room was on the small size, but very tastefully decorated and comfortable. The wallpaper was toille, with matching fabrics. I guess I must have been impressed by the decor, b/c I couldn't describe any other room I've ever stayed in. The location was also convenient. <BR> <BR>I did go into the Metropolitan to see it. It's practically next door to the 4 Seasons. Personally, I did not care for it. Although it was new (at least it looked that way about 3 yrs. ago), it seemed very cold. The style is very contemporary - chrome, black accents, and furniture to match. If this is what you like, then this would be the place for you as the Grosvesnor House & 4 Seasons are not this style at all. <BR> <BR>I have not been in the Hilton or the Intercontinental, but I know people who were disappointed in them both. <BR> <BR>The man who used to be the head of the firm my husband used to work at always stayed at the Connaught, so I'm sure that is VERY nice. We happened to walk by it one day, and it looked like a small, cozy hotel - also good location. <BR> <BR>Elsa

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 05:37 AM
london

If you want luxury you must consider The Lanesborough.It has a great location,excellent service and royal charm.If your looking for "in the moment" hotels St. Martins Lane or Sanderson are a better choice than The Metropolitan. <BR> <BR>www.lanesborough.com