Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

OK to leave luggage (covered) in the car at Mont St Michel for a few daylight hours?

OK to leave luggage (covered) in the car at Mont St Michel for a few daylight hours?

Nov 20th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

I usually don't leave luggage in the car while sight-seeing, but for some reason I'm thinking that the parking lot is so visually open that it might be ok. What do you think?

The journey that day is from Bayeux to Dinan, so it would save back-tracking. Not huge, just wanted your take on it.

thanks.
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:02 AM

You can leave it in the trunk. Don;t leave anything - even a newspaper, visible inside a car in any public place. (And the parking areas are sizeable - no one would notice a stranger fooling around with your car.)
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:03 AM

I have done it, and not been worried. I don't think the car park being so open matters greatly one way or the other. I think what makes it relatively safe is that you don't have a significant marginal population in the area that turns to property crime.
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Yes, there IS always a risk.

But after some 150 trips in Europe (including Mont Saint Michel parking lot, loaded with baggage for 6 persons), our car was never burglarized. But there IS always a first time. I take it as a kind of self-insurance: If they burglarize our car it is once in 150 trips. I divide the loss by 150 and the result will be minimal.

If you are too scary, better stop travelling (and wait for your house being burglarized).
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Gee, I never thought about that as me being "scared". Cautious, perhaps, as I would prefer not to loose all my luggage.

I have heard lots of folks on this board say not to leave it in the car in Italy or Spain. For some reason I was thinking that MSM would be ok. More spiritual tourists?
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Not so you'd notice! Most people who go to MSM go for the views, the tides, the buildings...not much for spirituality.

I remember there being attendants at the parking lot showing people where to place the cars because of the tides. Whether they keep an eye out for untoward events I can't say.
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:31 AM

IMO nobody on this forum unless they've surveyed the break in statistics for a long period of time can say anything definitive

that said i like others have left stuff there in a car and all over France with no problems but you never know.

If it's very valuable take it with you if not having a separate trunk you can put it in.
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM

We always back the car up against a lightpost, wall, tree, etc. so the trunk can not physically be opened withing moving the car forward.

Stu Dudley
Nov 20th, 2007, 12:54 PM

The burglary begins when a thief sees contents loaded. Contents are assessed. Smart/savvy behavior; Load valuable goods at last stop and then proceed to secure parking area. European police consider such robberies just another business. The miscreants are known but it is too much trouble to arrest them. Again, leave nothing in the cabin! Car documents are also valuable booty, take them with you!
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:29 PM

GSteed wrote: "European police consider such robberies just another business. The miscreants are known but it is too much trouble to arrest them."

That's a bit unfair, particularly when stated as such a sweeping generalisation. Europe is a big place with a lot of different police forces and a variety of legal systems.

The police might have a good idea who the thieves operating in their area are, but they are not very likely to know which thief broke into a a particular car. In most jurisdictions they cannot legally round up the usual suspects. Even if they could, and did, the chances are that the evidence would already be gone. So what are they to do?
Nov 20th, 2007, 01:33 PM

Car documents? You mean your rental agreement?

I have the same question albeit a few miles down the road. What about parking to take a walk (2-3 miles) along the beach near Cancale.

Nov 20th, 2007, 01:41 PM

Same answer for Cancale as for Mont St Michel -- and generally for Brittany.

Nothing is 100% safe, but so long as you are sensible, the risk is so low that you should not let it bother you.
Nov 20th, 2007, 02:18 PM

Car documents: registration papers and rental contract, which you wouldn't want to lose.

Brittany in general is not over-run with tourists, and from what we heard the car-crime rate isn't very high compared with regions like Provence.
Nov 20th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Thanks for a new tip. I would never have thought of someone stealing the car documents!

Some years ago my cousin's car trunk was popped in downtown Portland (not a rental car) and all her Christmas shopping presents stolen. I know to move your car after opening the trunk; didn't ask if she did. I've always felt relatively safe in Portland.

Nov 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM

"Brittany in general is not over-run with tourists"

Brittany is one of the most popular holiday areas in Europe. The British and Irish like it because it is like their own seasides but with better weather and food. The Germans and Dutch like the cliffs and rough seas, because their own resorts are rather tame. The French like Brittany because it is near home, and reminds them of their childhood.

It's a nice part of France, and everyone loves it.
Nov 20th, 2007, 03:42 PM

We've spent 5 weeks vacationing in Brittany, and over 20 in Provence & Cote d'Azur. All visits were in either June or Sept. Cote d'Azur was certainly more crowded, and so was Provence. Somehow Brittany seems to handle the crowds better, or we frequent the less crowded places. Mt St Michel certainly takes the first place prize for the most crowded spot in France

Stu Dudley
Nov 21st, 2007, 09:11 AM

Stu, you should go to the Cote d'Azur in August - then you know what "crowded" means!

Compared to that, Brittany in August appears deserted (except Mont Saint Michel).

(August is THE month when the French spend their summer vacation - and also a lot of other Europeans)
Nov 21st, 2007, 09:27 AM

I suspect "crowded" may be part of the reason Stu doesn't go in August.
Nov 21st, 2007, 09:59 AM

>>I suspect "crowded" may be part of the reason Stu doesn't go in August<<

Yep

Stu Dudley