Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

OK to ask for "un pichet d'eau" in paris?

Jan 8th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Seriously, is it frowned upon to ask for a carafe of water (tap water) in France?

I have had different experiences in other countries and want to know if there will be an ATTITUDE if one asks for that.

Have not been to paris for years, and frankly, don't remember the response or if request was fulfilled without a problem.

Jan 8th, 2006, 03:33 PM

No problem at all asking for a carafe d'eau. I have done it many times, no attitude.
Jan 8th, 2006, 03:35 PM

YES, YES, it's ok!!
Jan 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

thanks..
Jan 8th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Reading the related thread got me interested in this topic: Would a Parisian ever order the pichet d'eau or would they almost always order bottled water? Just curious.
Jan 8th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Once or twice I got the fish-eye when asking for tapwater. But rarely. Many do drink it and many French folk do ask for it. I was amused on occasion when the waiter (never a waitress) confirmed my choice by asking -- perhaps with arched eyebrow:

"Eau de robinet?" (which sounds worse to me in French than "tapwater" sounds in English.

Or -- better yet:

"Eau municipale?"
Jan 8th, 2006, 05:25 PM

I always order un carafe d'eau (or is it une?) and never get a negative reaction - in Paris as well as the provinces. In Paris, from what I've noticed, most French people order de l'eau minerale.
Jan 8th, 2006, 05:49 PM

Mais oui, une carafe d'eau. Most bistros, restaurants and even cafés have a row of bottles already filled and resting in a refrigerated enclosure.It is standard and they are prepared for your request.
Jan 8th, 2006, 05:58 PM

Isn't there a big drive by the Parisian "water board" to promote the city water, including some giveaway item like a pitcher for the fridge with an Eiffel Tower on it? I think that is in response to the tendency for Parisians to order bottled water in restaurants.
Jan 8th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Paris water is one of the most delicious in the world. I ALWAYS ask for a carafe or pichet d'eau and ALWAYS get it without any sass whatsoever.
Jan 8th, 2006, 07:36 PM

Ditto--it took us a couple days to figure this out and it was so great once we did!! And as some others have said, the water was very good. There was a place on Blvd St Germain, Cafe Indiana, where we would go for happy hour at 5:00pm after walking all day and it was really great to have a carafe of water along with the wonderful half price Margaritas. Those Margaritas remain my standard of an all time great Margarita!!
Jan 8th, 2006, 08:01 PM

My French friends tell me that "carafe" is used primarily for wine--for water "pichet" is the more usual word.
Jan 8th, 2006, 08:12 PM

no, both as St Cirq said, some are brought to the table in a pichet and others in a carafe.
Jan 8th, 2006, 09:19 PM

We usually order some wine and un carafe d'eau, and never received any attitude from the waitstaff.

Woody
Jan 8th, 2006, 09:35 PM

You will have no problem drinking tap water while at a restaurant. It is perfectly allowable to ask for "l'eau en carafe" (the correct way to say it -- they don't use "pichet" in that context) in France; however, the general populace orders bottle mineral water. That said, you might get an occasional strange look, but they will still comply. (Interestingly enough, I found it more difficult to get tap water in Italy than in France, as I have never seen tap water on a table in Italy).
Jan 8th, 2006, 09:40 PM

Always request a carafe or pichet; never thought about the distinction, and always got what I wanted, without any sort of attitude from the server.
Jan 8th, 2006, 11:10 PM

Most of my French friends in Paris ask for "une carafe d'eau" if they want water with their meal. Few tend to order mineral water unless they want sparkling. My Parisian husband always asks for tap water. So no, it's definitely not frowned upon.

In Brussels, however, it's almost impossible to get a jug of tap water in a restaurant and you usually have to order the bottled stuff (no bad thing actually, as the water in Brussels tastes pretty horrible).
Jan 9th, 2006, 01:06 AM

<My French friends tell me that "carafe" is used primarily for wine--for water "pichet" is the more usual word.> Underhill you're sure it is not the contrary? In your case it could be "une carafe à décanter" used for the wine to settle.
One can order du vin au pichet, but I've never heard of vin à la carafe. For water you can say both une carafe d'eau ou un pichet d'eau.

It doesn't really matter anyway, just say what is the easiest for you!

Jan 9th, 2006, 01:29 AM

Maybe nobody said clearly so far if they have no problem asking for l'eau de robinet with or without other paying drinks, except Woody. I'm with Woody. At a restaurant I would ask for it with wine for a meal. At a café, I would with a coffee. I wouldn't ask only for une carafe d'eau, except at certain places where it is commonly done. At some self-service restaurants, you can get your food and either paying drinks or just a tap water on your tray.

Those who answered above, what do you do exactly, except Woody? Do you ask for just une carafe d'eau and no paying drinks?
Jan 9th, 2006, 01:32 AM

At a café, I would rather ask for "un verre" d'eau than "une carafe" d'eau.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO