Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ok, so where was your favorite place to watch the sun rise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 06:21 PM
Beth Anderson

Hi all, <BR><BR>My little experience this morning made me think of this question. Let's hope it doesn't sink too far before morning!<BR><BR>I just got some new camera equipment yesterday (well, 'new' used lens/ and some new filters - I have an old AE-1 program..) <BR><BR>anyway, because I have a new toy, I had to immediately go out and play with it. The cherry blossoms are out in full force here in DC, so I hauled myself out of bed at 530 this morning and trekked down to the Tidal Basin to get some nice, moody morning shots. I used a whole roll right before sunrise and then discovered I had left the other in the car - too late! oh well, it didn't diminish the beauty of the sunrise over the water and monuments... the blossoms are magnificent!<BR><BR>now, my most memorable sunrise so far was at Omaha Beach, but that's a different story. <BR><BR>Beth

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Ger

Beth:<BR><BR>Sun rise on top of "Moses Mountain" in the Sinai after a twelve-hour trek on camel and on foot. THE most extraordinary experience. Wish I had had a better camera! My memory is far better than the pictures.<BR><BR>Now I can afford the camera but would have to be airlifted to the top to take the picture - irony or what?

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 07:31 PM
Sherry

Beth, Hi. I miss the cherry blossoms every year when I come to D.C as you know I did this year. Anyway. I have to say in Bali. I really did not appreciate being there and would not go back, but the sunrise was spectacular.<BR>Sherry

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Surlok

I cannot say anything about sunrise, since I'm not an early riser, but the most spectacular sunsets I was given to watch were in Poona, India, Santorini and Mykonos, Greece. I felt speechless and overwhelmed everytime I watched it!

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 08:10 PM
vic

The best sunrise I've seen was in the U.S from the top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park in Maine..<BR>Usually the only sunrise I see in <BR>Europe is just before landing.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 10:16 PM
Art

I like to rise at the crack on noon, but the most beautiful sunrise I've ever seen was in Cape Cod.<BR>

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 10:35 PM
Myriam

The most beautiful sunrise I've seen was over the savannah in Kenya where I could watch it sitting on the verandah of our lodge.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 10:39 PM
Philip

I work the graveyard shift in NYC, so I see the sunrise everyday. My favorite was watching the early morning sun shine on the Statue of Liberty. I never got tired of it.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 10:41 PM
Bjorn Alvik

Hi<BR>Why not go Norway?<BR>At the top of Fanaraaken (2100m) you can view all the highest Norwegian mountains and the fjords at sea level simuntaneously, and the sunrise is extraordinarily beautiful.<BR>Not an every day event, though: The spot is not the most sunny place in the world, only 10 sun days a year, mainly in summer.<BR>Bjorn, Oslo

Old Apr 10th, 2001, 12:00 AM
Ursula

In India, watching the Taj Mahal in Agra!<BR>

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 04:39 AM
Elspeth

Sitting on the roof of a Green Tortoise adventure travel coach, in Big Bend National Park, Texas - albeit we were awake because we couldn't sleep, we were covered in mozzie bites!!

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 04:48 AM
Thomas

Atop a hill on the Isle of IOS, Greece, sipping a drink while listening to classical music. The walk up is great also.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 05:05 AM
Howard

For me it was sitting on the balcony at Goulding's Lodge and watching the sun rise over the monuments in Monument Valley, Utah.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 11:00 PM
Topper

Hope we get some more great replies!

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 12:17 AM
sylvia

Grand Canyon watching the colours change and Iceland in June. There the sun just dipped below the horizon and then popped up again.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 03:19 AM
Tony Hughes

Another vote for Gouldings in Monument Valley. Just pips the Grand Canyon.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 03:53 AM
BigDave

Sunrise over a mountain, somwhere in Rajasthan, India, 2 hours before an eclipse. October 1995. Still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 03:59 AM
I.P. Freely

Last summer in bed with a beautiful Norwegian gal in top. I apologize for being so romantic, but I cant help it, that's me, I get teary just thinking about it!

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 04:42 AM
dan woodlief

Perhaps the most beautiful was on the Blue Ridge Parkway three years ago. As I headed out that morning to set up my tripod, there was nothing but clouds and fog, making for almost 0 visibility. I pulled over to the side of the road to give it time to clear but after a few minutes drove on. Then all of a sudden I found a clear spot and set up the tripod just as the sun was peaking over the mountains. I literally jumped out of the car and raced to the spot. The valley below was laden with fog/clouds. It wasn't the most beautiful sky I had ever seen, but the overall effect was wonderful (not to mention, it was autumn, the best time on the Parkway). The photo is here: http://www.oneeyed.homestead.com/files/NorthCarolina/Mountains/JBRSunrise.jpg.<BR><BR>I also enjoyed sunrise from the top steps of the Lincoln Memorial, until someone ran me off because a construction crew was setting up bleachers for a Millenium celebration.<BR><BR>Actually this morning I saw some of the most beautiful light I can remember. Coming to work, the sun was just getting above the horizon behind me through an opening in the mostly heavily clouded sky. In some spots whole rows of trees glowed against the dark backdrop as the sun hit them. Magical. It made me want to have the camera set up and wish I didn't have to go to work. <BR><BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Dina

Another vote for the Greek Islands, but mine was Sifnos. I read somewhere that sunrise/sunset is actually enhanced by certain types of pollution---something about the particles in the air. Not romantic, but has anyone else heard of this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -