Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ok Ok - revised iternary.. To rent car or not? Please comment

Apr 25th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

THanks for your advice.. I have taken out the Naples portion of the iternary.. am now just going to Rome, Venice and Tuscany.. Please suggest what I can do for 3 days in the country side..

I hear renting a car is really expensive but at the same time one cannot do without it?

Please let me know your experiences.. with and without car. Thanks again.. you people are gems.
Apr 25th, 2003, 05:47 PM

Rome and Venice you do not need a car at all. In Tuscany yes you need a car. Go to www.autoeurope.com No offense, but you must be kidding about what to do for 3 days in Tuscany....San G, Siena, Chianti, Umbria, Assisi, all the little towns in between. Pick up any travel book and read it.
Apr 25th, 2003, 06:25 PM

We were in Tuscany a year ago and rented a car for a week. It was not cheap but we both felt it was well worth the money because we could drive wherever we wanted, and stop (for photos, etc.) whenever we wanted.

You can certainly do without a car; you just have less flexibility. Like so many things in life, there's a trade-off.

I hear renting a car is really expensive but at the same time one cannot do without it?

Please let me know your experiences.. with and without car. Thanks again.. you people are gems.
Apr 25th, 2003, 06:26 PM

Ooops, forgot to delete what I pasted from your post.
Apr 25th, 2003, 10:18 PM

We rented a car for 3 days to/from Florence because we were staying at a "resort" Residence San Luigi (pool, tennis court, bocce courts, restaurants etc) outside Monteriggioni and near Colle di Val D'Elsa ( which is a walled town). So much to see with a car - you don't want a car in Florence of course - that's why you have legs - but as Ann1 said plenty of towns to drive to and enjoy. Monteriggioni is magic, and drive through Chianti region as well and stop anywhere for lunch and their wine!
Apr 25th, 2003, 11:34 PM

If you really can't afford a car (gas is very expensive), don't worry you can get around to some of the cities by bus or by train.
I have done it both ways and really prefer driving around to small towns and hamlets, but it isn't necessary.

How many people are you traveling with can be a deciding factor in splitting the costs of a car. If you are going solo it is hard to navigate while driving, and could be daunting for a first time traveler, then I would definitely go train or bus.
Apr 26th, 2003, 08:24 AM
JBX

Really depends upon what & where you'd like to visit while in the Tuscany region. If you're staying in Florence, then daytrips to Siena, Lucca or Pisa are easy and inexpensive by public transportion. However if you wish to explore other smaller towns, then a car offers much more flexibility as well as access to places that may not be reached by train or bus. Yes, car rental can be expensive; especially so if you don't drive a standard --- price for an automatic is significantly higher. Given all that .... I'd strongly encourage the car rental option. Driving through the Tuscan hills (I was in May-2000) is lovely. You get a different sense of the country by going to the quieter smaller towns.