OK, I think I lost my passport...

Jul 27th, 2001, 10:51 PM
Beth Anderson

OK, I think I lost my passport...

Hi all,

I have a special, specific spot my passport always goes, once I am back from a trip. For some reason it ain't there, and I am wracking my brains as to my last steps from my last trip in May. ...

long and short, I think I am gonna have to act fast as my trip is in 6 weeks.

what sort of red tape (beyond getting a new passport) am I going to have to go through? Do they make you go through extraordinary hoops if you lost it - renew before it is 'due' - do they assume it's stolen, change everything around, cause probs, etc...

I know 3 weeks is pretty standard for a renewal... is this going to take longer?

thanks...

Beth

Jul 27th, 2001, 11:10 PM
Holly

Hi Beth - I don't know if it's a regional thing or not, but in Nevada, all you have to do is go into the post office with all your i.d. and a passport photo, go to the passport desk, fill out the forms and pay the expedite fee. They promise you'll have it in something like six days. Haven't personally done this, but had to research it at one time. Shouldn't be a problem, but don't waste any time.

Jul 27th, 2001, 11:10 PM
Beth Anderson

forget it, y'all... I pulled EVERYTHING apart from my last trip.

I found it.

red faced, but happy, I am going to bed.

Beth

Jul 27th, 2001, 11:14 PM
Beth Anderson

Thanks Holly.

I had gone to bed, with an eye mask no less cuz it will be light in 3 hours... and sat right up - one spot I still hadn't checked was my side pocket in my big purse I had taken with me...

voila.

I was actually less worried about getting a new one, than losing the STAMPS I had accumulated from the old one, you know?

I even had a 'bogus' one from Checkpoint Charlie, I got at the site, (which was no longer) in 1993. It was "dated" November 9, 1989...

thanks everyone who may read this, I am heading to BED now...

Jul 28th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Carol

Beth,
Just one question. Hasn't your passport expired yet? They are only good for 10 years aren't they (assuming yours is an American passport). 1989 to 2001 is more than 10 years. I don't want to stir up trouble, but.... just in case!

Jul 28th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi Carol,

actually, I got the passport in May of 1993. I did a backpack 'round Europe trip in August of that year - including Berlin.

At the site of the old Checkpoint Charlie an old man had a tent/booth of sorts set up - for a few marks he would stamp your passport' with the DDR's stamp, dated 11/9/89 - the date the Wall came down.

I'm really glad I found the darn thing. I am very lax about unpacking when I get home from a trip (I just can't accept the fact that I am home) but I ALWAYS ALWAYS put my passport back in its special spot immediately - so that I can grab it in a hurry if I need to... so when I couldn't find it, it made for an interesting half an hour...

Jul 29th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Kavey

Beth

You should ask my husband all about me and my "safe places"!

Glad you found it.

On an aside. Isn't it illegal to mark your passport with anything other than legitimate immigration/ exit stamps from genuine immigration people?

I think it is illegal to tamper with a UK passport in any case, and I would imagine a fake stamp might not be too wise.

I mean you obviously havent had any problems with it, but then, how often do the authorities look through all the other stamps when they check your passport, so I am not asking in a "Geez are you sure that was wise?" way (as it was clearly ok) but in a "Is that legal?" way...

If that makes sense?

Jul 30th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Beth Anderson

Kavey,

hmmmmmmm... good point. no one has ever questioned me. maybe too busy? the customs people rarely do more than look for a clean spot!

I am a scofflaw and didn't even know it! does that count?

Beth

ps. how are you doing by the way? I hear Marna and co. will be visiting you! I prolly won't be on any other trips overseas until my leave re-accums in January. I have one day left after France (there is always Thanksgiving though! I might have to take a trip to London/Amsterdam then...

Jul 30th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Kavey

Hey Beth!

Good thanks just got back from SF yesterday (report on US forum).

Marna will be visiting London (rather than me!) but am hoping to get together for dinner with her, her sister and her friends one evening while they are here... have invited them to my local Italian up in North Finchley.

Any Fodorite regulars are always party to the open invitation to meet me for coffee or dinner when in London on visits!

Kavey