Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   OK...How About Your Top Five Castles! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ok-how-about-your-top-five-castles-176894/)

Tom Aug 17th, 2001 01:14 PM

OK...How About Your Top Five Castles!

Love those castles, here are my favorites, how about yours: <BR> <BR>1. Edinburgh Castle...What a castle should be. You get the Tattoo in August and Robert the Bruce and William Wallace guarding the entry! <BR> <BR>2. Burg Eltz (in the Mosel River Valley)...If it wasn't for Edinburgh, this would be the all time winner! <BR> <BR>3.Warwick Castle...Great example of medieval history. Would not have wanted to have been a prisoner! <BR> <BR>3. Neuschwanstein (SP)..OK, no history, but the view at night looking back at the castle is awesome. <BR> <BR>4. Lichtenstein Castle...No big deal, but it just sits there by itself, a lonely sentinel keeping watch over a very small place. <BR> <BR>5. Leeds Castle...Wow, just beautiful! <BR> <BR>

Rex Aug 17th, 2001 01:43 PM

Castles, palaces, chateaux - - these are such bewildering distinctions... <BR> <BR>Even so, I concur with Burg Eltz at the top (perhaps because I have never been to Edinburgh)... <BR> <BR>and alphabetic order, I would give runner-up status to: <BR> <BR>Alhambra, Granada (Spain) <BR> <BR>Biltmore House (Asheville, NC) <BR> <BR>Chateau de Haut-Koenigsbourg (Alsace, near St. Hippolyte, France) <BR> <BR>Chateau Gaillard (at Les Andelys, France) <BR> <BR>Hammond Castle (North shore, Massachusetts) <BR> <BR>Hearst Castle (San Simeon, California) <BR> <BR>Parkhotel Wasserburg-Anholt (Germany, for a hotel/place to stay) <BR> <BR>Schloss Linderhof (another Mad Ludwig special! also in Bavaria) <BR> <BR>Windsor Castle (UK) <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Bob Aug 17th, 2001 01:55 PM

Great castles: <BR> <BR>Glamis in Scotland....very homey and well decorated. Still used on a daily basis. <BR> <BR>Neuschwanstein....has to be on anyone's list. Too bad it was never completed. Best view out a men's room window of any castle. <BR> <BR>Blenheim....historic, birthplace of Winston Churchill. <BR> <BR>Edinburgh...you cannot beat the location. <BR> <BR>Heidelberg....blown to bits in the 1600s, but the way it dominates the skyline is a sight to see. Plus the Rhine in Flames display each summer is great. <BR> <BR>Warwick....what a castle ought to look like.

Russ Aug 17th, 2001 01:57 PM

Yes - Burg Eltz is tops. <BR> <BR>Warwick Castle is great too, if a bit overwhelmed by visitors. <BR> <BR>Others: <BR> <BR>Marksburg in Braubach, Germany (only undestroyed knights' castle in the Rhine Gorge) <BR> <BR>Reichsburg in Cochem, Germany (spectacular setting that rivals Neuschwanstein, but has a 1000-year history) <BR> <BR>Schloss Bückeburg, Bückeburg, Germany (nr. Hanover - lovely "Schlosskapelle" and "Festsaal", but I liked it mostly because I was so surprised by stumbling upon such a marvelous yet unheralded place) <BR>

JOdy Aug 17th, 2001 03:30 PM

Edinburgh castle- has got to be top of the list <BR> <BR>Stokesay Castle- very small but with the best audio tour ever <BR> <BR>Blenheim- wonderful park in additon to the building itself <BR> <BR>Chatsworth House-- now I could live there! <BR> <BR>Azay le Rideau- fairy tale in real life <BR> <BR>Windsor - whoops sorry this is #6 , but it is so well organized for touring that you can understand what you are seeing. The restoration after the fire has been amazing

CB Aug 17th, 2001 03:33 PM

Are there any castles, villas or other extraordinary residences in ITALY? <BR> <BR>I love Hearst Castle (in California) and enjoyed a couple castles I visited in Denmark . . .first time to Italy end of September and thought this would be a good place to ask. <BR>Thanks!

Karen Aug 17th, 2001 04:42 PM

In England, Chatsworth, Warwick, Ragley Hall, Castle Howard and Broadlands. In Scotland, my all time favorite, <BR>Cawdor Castle, a real family home and reasonable size.

janis Aug 17th, 2001 04:51 PM

Well since folks seem to be mixing castles and palaces in the same list here is mine: (I'm cheating using ties like in golf to get more places in the top five) <BR> <BR>Dunnottar - the most unbeliebvable location jutting into the north sea <BR> <BR>Warwick - just for the fun of it <BR> <BR>Huntly/Chepstow/Linlithgow/Tintagel (tied) <BR> <BR>Stirling <BR> <BR>Castle Howard/Blenheim/Chatsworth (tied)