Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ok, hotels are booked, now I need info on car rental in Italy.

Mar 13th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

We fly in to Rome Sept 6th & plan to say 3 nights at Sofitel Roms near Villa Borghesbefore we drive out to spend 3 nights in southern Tuscany, 3 nights in the Chinati area, one in Verona & then 3 in Venice.
My husband drove in Rome 25 years ago & he deals with driving situations very well. But what is the smartest, safest way to approach this itinerary? Rent a car at the airport & drive into Rome to find the hotel. Or get a taxi to hotel & then rent a car the morning we leave? Same for arriving in Venice, is there a rental car drop off where you can then get a vaporette to hotel. We are staing at Palazzo San't Angelo and they have a pier so perhaps I arrange with them for transporation? The if our departing flight is at 11:00 am, what are your suggestions for mode of transporation and timeline to get to the airport in time? Thank you! AFter the car rental thing is done, then I'll be back for museum questions!
Mar 13th, 2006, 09:57 AM

First off, use www.autoeurope.com. They have the lowest prices or, if you find a lower price elsewhere, they will match it. Autoreurope is a broker; they use Hertz, Avis, etc.

Why rent at the airport, pay a hefty surcharge for airport rental and then have the car sit in a garage for 3 days?

There's an Autoeurope pick-up (of Hertz and/or Avis) in the large underground garage at Villa Borghese. If your husband has driven in Rome, he will not find it difficult to pick up a car there.

In Venice, you drop the car at Piazzale Roma, which is the last place that you can drive to in Venice after you've come over the causeway.

You can either take a vaporetto at Piazzale Roma or you can ask your hotel to book a water taxi (expensive)for you.

If you're only leaving at 11:00 a.m., you have to be at the airport at 9:00 a.m. At that hour, you can choose your method of transportation: water taxi, vaporetto to Piazzale Roma and bus (regular or express) or regular taxi to airport, Alilaguna boat (which takes a fair amount of time) to airport.
Mar 13th, 2006, 11:20 AM

I second Eloise. We always use AutoEurope, booking it from here (US)
Mar 13th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Get the car on the way out of Rome. We have driven into Rome on a few occasions. Don't do it if you don't have to. My husband is always the designated driver and I am always the navigator. I'm good with maps and my husband is a good driver, but ROme is impossible with all the little 1 way alley type streets.
Mar 13th, 2006, 11:27 AM

I've been happy with Autoeurope as well. But the last time I checked Kemwel (another broker, and their affiliate, I believe?) was cheaper.

Worthwhile to check both.
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers. Just what I needed to hear. I want to convince my hubby we can wait & get the car on the way out of town & not hassle getting it at the airport & then trying to find the hotel. Great advice & now I know the drop off point for Venice too. You Fodorites are great. I have a ton of experience in the South Pacific & Caribbean but Europe is new to me & I really appreciate the advice.
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

I looked at Autoeurope and there were a lot of places in Rome listed as a pick up point. Do you know which one is the Villa Borghese address?? And Any opinions on car size. We usually rent compacts. Thanks!
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:40 PM

I booked our rental car for my late June Honeymoon in Italy with Europebycar.com Prices are really reasonable and they have a nice selection of cars.
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Hi Peggy,

Just another thought, you could train to Orvieto or Chiusi and pick up there. Unless you really, really want to drive out of Rome.

Buon viaggio!
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Peggy, the address Auto Europe gave me for Villa Borghese via del Galoppatoio, 33,Phone: +39-06-3225240. I went to the Michelin website and got driving directions to get out of the city onto the Autostrada. I have maps and a good navigator but I think that will also help.
Mar 13th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

thanks again! I'll bring up the train, but knowing my husband he'll at least want to drive out...crazy I know! Sounds like an easy transition though. The hotel has airport transporatation, then we are just .5 km to Villa Borghese, perhaps they'll deliver to the Sofitel. Anyway, it's coming together! I bout the Michelin map & of course my husband I'm sure will pay some fancy GPS unit! Grazie!
Mar 13th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Hi Peggy - there is a recent post here about International Drivers Permit and it is required in Italy. You can get it at AAA for about $10. It is basically a translation of the information on your drivers license.

I don't know how to put the url for the post in here but you might want to take a look at it.

Have a fun trip!
Mar 14th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

I will check into the International Drivers Permit. All good info. I'm just trying to verify the pick up points & drop off points, on the website it is a bit confusing. There are 2 places for Villa Borghese, same address though but one says city center & one says Downtown. Then for drop off Piazzale Roma has 3 addresses! I suppose any will do. Once the inital transaction if done with Autoeurope does the car agency (like Avis or Hertz) add more insurance charges on top of Autoeurope's quote??
Mar 14th, 2006, 06:36 AM

In renting a car, try to specify a diesel. I have found them to be readily available in Italy. Diesel fuel costs less than gasoline in Italy and you will get more kilometers per mile for equal sized cars. I would also prefer to rent it when you leave Rome for the reasons stated above.
Mar 14th, 2006, 11:07 AM

I just booked a compact car for a week, picking it up and dropping it off at FCO. I booked through Thrifty. It was about 40-50% cheaper than any other company I tried, including AutoEurope and bunch of others. give it a try on their website.

cesca1
Mar 18th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Here is the link to the International Driver's Permit:
http://www.aaany.com/travel/travel_services/IDP_1.htm