Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ok Ben Haines, what is this rivalry between North and South Londoners?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 10:58 AM
rand

Is this something tourists should worry about? What if I ask directions to south London from a northener, will they steer me wrong? Is this rivalry likely to break out into a civil war any time soon?

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 09:16 PM
redneck

Surely you jest. I suggest that Ben has better things to do than get in on this one.

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 12:57 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>I'm afraid I've misled you. This is not rivalry, but ignorance. Waterloo and Bankside apart, when you ask northernetrs for directions to south London they will not set out to deceive you: they just won't know. The ignorance is reciprocal. Tonight I'm to sup with an old friend in Hornsey, north London. I've prepared by checking a map and copying relevant train times, much as I would if I were headed for Bulgaria. Indeed, I've been to Bulgaria more often in my life than I've been to Hornsey. <BR> <BR>Civil war, no. But politics yes: the Borough of Croydon is sure that it should be a city in its own right, uninvolved with the new London Mayor. It was war, 1300 years ago, before King Alfred, when the river was the boundary between the kingdoms of the Middle Saxons to the north and the South Saxons and Jutes to the south. <BR> <BR>Sorry, Redneck: Rand was just too tempting. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR>

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 02:16 AM
Mike

So Ben this is civil war between north and south London eh !!! <BR>Must muster my army and move south. <BR>Anybody know where Waterloo is please ?!!!

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 09:08 AM
S. C. DIXON

Good show! <BR> <BR>Actually, most Americans, and a few English, often forget the formidable physical size of London, over 600 square miles, for Pete's sake! I've been a tourist there several times and am amused when a native asks me for directions. The real fun is when, once in a blue moon, I'm actually able to give them reliable information! A friend of mine obsesses with street maps which I find almost worthless beyond the very basic kind. To me, part of the fun is just to keep walking around the next bend or close or corner and see what surprises await.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 03:39 AM
jim

just logged on - couldn't resist diving into this one <BR> <BR>There is a degree of rivalry - I used to play Saturday league football for an amateur South London team and when it came to playing teams from North London it would get really nasty (i'm talking people in hospital!) <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 05:07 AM
ann

Could not resist either. <BR>The roads in the North are still cobbled he! he! <BR>In truth however there is more hostility between the North & South of England. My grandmother used to say the only good thing coming from the North is the M1 going south. This from a women who in her 50-70's used to sing on top of a bar in the 'snug' of the local pub, my grandfather totally disowning her !

Old Apr 15th, 2000, 02:36 PM
Alice

Oh, Ann, what a delightful story. That's what makes this forum sooo interesting. BTW, are you the same "Ann" who posted those wonderful tales of your adventures in our southern United States? You had my mom and I just giggling. We're starting early on our plans to return to England next year. Our family was stationed in Ramsgate 50 years ago and my mom and 3 (of 4) siblings are looking forward to visiting old haunts. <BR>