Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Oia vs Fira after Mykonos (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/oia-vs-fira-after-mykonos-621380/)

Gia Jun 6th, 2006 12:26 PM

Oia vs Fira after Mykonos

My sister and I are in the last planning stages for our trip to Greece in September with our husbands. We have accommodations for Athens and Mykonos set already.

But I'm not sure if we should stay in Oia or Fira for the last leg. We enjoy nightlife, I'm used to busy streets as I live on a popular touristy street in NYC, but I'm worried that I may get enough of that in Mykonos and will want to relax our last few days in Greece in Oia. But if Mykonos is pretty laid back, then I won't mind Fira so much and may even want a more lively atmosphere. What do you think?

Could you also recommend a couple of places to stay in either town. I've searched the forum and a couple of the places I've tried are booked already.

Many thanks. Gia

brotherleelove2004 Jun 6th, 2006 01:13 PM

Mykonos will still be very busy in September, so I think you will be ready for the relative peace and quiet of Oia by the time you get to Santorini.

What is your daily room budget and is a caldera view and/or swimming pool a deal-breaker? Which hotels have you eliminated already?

Gia Jun 6th, 2006 01:29 PM

Thanks brother, I was just leaning toward Oia. Our daily hotel budget is anywhere from $250-450 USD. I would like a pool and a view but they are not necessarily deal breakers - I'd prefer excellent service and comfy accommodations. The Anastasis Apartments and Alexander's Boutique Hotel are booked for the nights we wanted them.

I'm waiting to hear from Oia Castle (your rec, I believe?) and Perviolas, though I realize they're more expensive, we'd be willing to splurge on them.

brotherleelove2004 Jun 6th, 2006 01:35 PM

Don't forget the Aspaki Suites, by the same owner as the Oia Castle. They're wonderful.

What about Esperas, Oia Mare, Canaves Oia, Katikies, Kirini and Lampetia Villas?

Gia Jun 6th, 2006 01:41 PM

I'll check Esperas and Oia Mare now... Thanks for the reminder. Never heard of Canaves Oia, Kirini and Lampetia Villas so I'll look into those as well. THANK YOU.

angeliki Jun 6th, 2006 02:56 PM

If there's one place to splurge in Greece, it's Santorini. It's probably not worth more than 3-4 days. The beaches aren't great, Akrotiri is closed, it's crowded etc., etc. But to sit on a terrace, overlooking the caldera, with an Infinity Pool you'll remember it always.

Gaspard Jun 7th, 2006 06:32 AM

"It's probably not worth more than 3-4 days."

People live all their life on Santorini. And they still find it WORTH living.

doug_stallings Jun 7th, 2006 06:48 AM

I just returned from Santorini on Monday, and I'm still absorbing the trip, but I'd actually recommend Imerovigli over either Fira or Oia on Santorini. I stayed in Fira, and it's like staying in the heart of Times Square (though the Anteliz Hotel is outside of town enough that you could miss many of the crowds there). However, Imerovigli is quiet and beautiful and for my money has the best views perhaps in the entire world. I found it much more dramatically beautiful than either Fira or Oia. Just my opinion. It also has the most exquisite hotels and is close enough to Fira that you can walk in less than a half-hour (all downhill there, but uphill on the way back, though a beautiful walk). Although beautiful, Oia seemed a bit too touristy for me and also overpriced (you're definitely paying for the views there). I'll try to post a proper trip report soon. I was on both Mykonos and Santorini (as well as Athens), so this was a trip that was definitely on the beaten path but also tremendously enjoyable ... also my first to Greece.

Gia Jun 7th, 2006 07:10 AM

thanks Doug. I look forward to your trip report since I'll be following that path as well! Welcome home.

amaclise Jun 7th, 2006 07:11 AM

Doug,

Totally agree on Imerovigli. WOW.