Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Oia Hotels - (one more time) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/oia-hotels-one-more-time-1007034/)

Masterphil Feb 27th, 2014 10:43 AM

Oia Hotels - (one more time)

Going to be spending 4 nights in Santorini at end of August.

This will be the splurge and veg by pool hotel.

Considering Katikies, Canaves, Perivolas or other.

Has anybody stayed at any of these and would recommend them?

Funny...after you get away from the Excellent and Very Good review to the average, you really get an idea of what the hotel can look like during it's ugly side.

It seems every hotel has smaller rooms that don't look anything like the pictures. Many screw up (or try to get over) with reservations.

If money was no object (it is but not during these 4 nights) where would you stay?

Also, Canaves seems to have two different areas "hotel" vs "Suites?" Which is preferable.

Thanks for your help!!

brotherleelove2004 Feb 27th, 2014 12:06 PM

Katikies, Canaves and Perivolas are all excellent choices. In the same category and with a pool are Kirini, Mystique, Andronis and Ikies.

All of these are worth your consideration.

If money were no object I'd probably choose the Perivolas Suite.

Some of these hotels have expanded by acquiring property not physically connected to their original hotel. One really isn't preferable to another as they all provide the same level of quality and service.

Masterphil Feb 27th, 2014 12:40 PM

I kind of like Ikies because you can see exactly what you are getting.

Some of the other properties have Trip Advisor comments suggesting their rooms didn't look anything like the website.

iris1745 Feb 27th, 2014 01:31 PM

We have stayed at www.canaves.com It was very nice, with the pool and rooms looking out at the sea.

Our unit was not overly large, but had two bedrooms, toe bathrooms and a sitting room. The bedroom on the second floor had a small deck and chairs.

For the four of us, it was lovely.

Masterphil Feb 27th, 2014 07:55 PM

Thanks Iris!

Canaves looks pretty nice! $1100 per night for Superior Suite x 5 nights.

That is a splurge!

Is it worth that?

I stayed at Villa D'Este in Lake Como and thought that was worth every dollar!

Back to my research...

iris1745 Feb 28th, 2014 04:20 AM

Loved Canaves, but would never pay that kind of money.

We had a Greek travel agent arrange the hotel. He travels to Greece every year and knows management. Arranged the hotels in Athens, Mykonos, Oia and Crete.

Masterphil Feb 28th, 2014 05:11 AM

thanks, Iris!

iris1745 Feb 28th, 2014 05:25 AM

Listen, it might be worth a call. George at 9785354000

clausar Feb 28th, 2014 05:35 AM

Booking a hotel is a very simple thing, check also the rate the hotel is giving directly, and through booking.com.

You can also ask Amphitrion Holidays -a big Greek Incoming Operator based in Athens with offices in the USA and also on Santorini -for a quotation, they have direct contract with Canaves.
[email protected]