Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Oia Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/oia-hotel-781983/)

tamarat Apr 30th, 2009 02:15 AM

Oia Hotel

Has anyone ever stayed at the Andronis Suites? Could you please tell me about it? Would you recommend it? Does anyone have other recommendations for a gorgeous hotel in Oia - this is a surprise for husband's birthday and I am ready to splurge! My top criteria are spectacular view, serenity and good service.

thanks for the help,

tamara

NisiGirl Apr 30th, 2009 02:50 AM

Have not stayed in Oia, but Fira, on the other side of Santorini, has a great place called Volcano Views, we stayed there several years ago and the views are spectacular, like a dream.
also, Mathias Villas, not as spectacular views, since out of city, but a great place, people too.
you will love Santorini.

dfr4848 Apr 30th, 2009 04:56 AM

Highly recommend Alexander's Boutique Hotel in Oia - amazing views, wonderful owner and staff, excellent breakfast set up on our terrace every morning, very nice accommodations.

brotherleelove2004 Apr 30th, 2009 09:16 AM

Andronis is an excellent choice but there are so many others. My favorite is Aspaki Suites (self-catering) for the best location in the village. Endless Blue is amazing. Also check out the Oia Castle Hotel, Kirnini, Perivolas Villas, Katikies Hotel, Ikies Houses, Mystique, Canaves Oia and 1864-The Sea Captain's House.

tamarat Apr 30th, 2009 11:16 AM

dfr4848, I've looked at Alexander's and am confused by their web-site - it's hard to see what the rooms look like. Which room did you stay in? Had you ever stayed anywhere else in Oia? Any downside at Alexander's?

brotherleelove, thank you again for your suggestions - I still can't get over how you answer everyone so thoroughly! Did you actually stay at Andronis? If so, can you describe it? Could you compare it to Alexander's (which you didn't mention, but have you been there?) I wanted to book Ikies which looks beautiful, but they're full when we're going (May 19th for 6 nights - thanks to your suggestion to stay on Oia the whole trip as opposed to breaking it up w/another island). I checked out all the others you mentioned and from my web-site search, it seems that Andronis and Alexander's received the most favourable comments with next to no criticisms. (besides Ikies). What are your top 2 for luxury and view?

brotherleelove2004 Apr 30th, 2009 11:30 AM

No, I haven't stayed there. It wasn't open in 2007 when I was there last.

I don't have a top pick. All those I've mentioned are worthy of your patronage. They are all luxurious and all have excellent views.

tamarat Apr 30th, 2009 12:32 PM

brotherleelove, I'm wondering if you know, or can figure out, why the Andronis hotel, which looks stunning, has been mentioned only once on this site? I know from one of your 2007 postings that it was recently renovated (I think in 2007), but even still, a couple of years have passed and you would think that people have been there. (Even Travel Advisor has very few reviews on this hotel relative to other hotel reviews). And while Andronis is expensive, there are many other very pricey hotels that have been mentioned/reviewed often. Any ideas? Do you know of any other sites that review hotels?

Anybody have any ideas? I'm dying to hear from someone who has actually been there!

brotherleelove2004 Apr 30th, 2009 01:19 PM

21 Reviews here: http://www.tinyurl.com/dhcum9

tamarat Apr 30th, 2009 09:04 PM

brotherleeelove, thanks - these are the reviews I saw on Trip Advisor (I accidentally wrote Travel Advisor above). But I'm wondering whether anyone on Fodors has been to Adronis and why it has only been mentioned on this site once as far as I can see.

brotherleelove2004 Apr 30th, 2009 09:51 PM

I don't know, but does it really matter where they're published? 21 reviews is a good sample, especially since the hotel has only been open for 2 seasons.

dfr4848 May 1st, 2009 05:04 AM

tamarat - we stayed in the Imperial Suite. We've had friends who've also stayed in some of the other rooms, and also highly recommended the hotel but didn't give us any particulars about the rooms. Did you click on the various villas and cave houses on the left of the web site? Seems like pictures are fairly informative. I frankly can't think of any downside based on our experience.

tamarat May 1st, 2009 05:41 AM

dr4848 - thank you for your reply. I just called and spoke to Alexander who sounds extremely nice - he said the best available room for when I'm going is the Ruby Villa. I'm in a big dilemma between that Ruby Villa and the Andronis Suites. And we're leaving on May 19th!

dfr4848 May 1st, 2009 06:51 AM

Nice dilemma to have. Alexander is extremely nice, very accommodating, and interesting - he and his family are jewelers by trade. He's Greek but spends the summers and fall in Oia and winters in his jewelry shops in Aspen, Colorado. [tough existence]. When we were there, he took us and another couple to dinner at a couple of very good local restaurants. He ordered the appetizers and wine and we ordered our main course, but everyone paid for their own. [If he remembers, we were the couple from Houston who was visiting their daughter that was spending last fall semester studying in Athens - we were in Oia in Nov last year]