Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Oh where are you, my dear London neighbourhood experts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi my dears,
I've taken a bit of a hiatus from London apartment hunting to deal with some family stuff but I now have two good-sounding possibilities, both from Sabbatical Homes.

Both have central heating (now my first question, thanks to your advice) and both are in the same neighbourhood.

The first is #1:
http://www.sabbaticalhomes.com/Offer....aspx?id=46133
The postal code for this one is NW6 2PE. The owner says it's on the Jubilee line, 5 stops from Oxford Street. While I don't have an exact address, the map she sent me shows the location to be where Dynham Road and Cotliegh Road meet West End Lane in South Hampstead.

This is #2:
http://www.sabbaticalhomes.com/Offer....aspx?id=19384
The postal code for this one is NW6 2PE and it's on Canfield Gardens in South Hampstead, some blocks closer to Finchley Road than #1.

We like both apartments and have had good correspondence from both owners but we're leaning towards #1 because #2 is a two-bedroom and we don't need all that room nor do we need to spend the extra money.

What do you think of the neighbourhoods?

Thanks again for all your help and advice.
gtg
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

topping for myself because the posts fall off the bottom so quickly now!
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 08:30 AM

They are very close and it's a good area, so the neighbourhoods won't be a lot different. Travel links are very good for both. Unless you get someone here who knows that exact streets, it'll be hard to know how busy they are etc. though would hazard a guess that 2 might be quieter than 1...
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, alihutch. I'm going to ask about that. If the bedroom is in the back it might be fine. But for L100 pounds less a week, we can buy a lot of good earplugs!
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 09:55 AM

Both are fine. Both have sod all to do with Hampstead and are in Kilburn/West Hampstead - sleepy suburbs with good connections and no pubs.

But don't you hate England and everything to do with it?????

CW - pensive.
Old Sep 10th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

janis? helen? zeppole?
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 04:14 AM

I like the top one. That's nicer than my house. I might rent it for a week and never move out....
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

They're really nice, aren't they? #1 is owned by a professional photographer so you'd expect her to have an eye for design. I love it when the owners actually decorate their flats. I can't believe some of the pictures people post. Sometimes they haven't bothered to make the bed or pick their undies up off the floor. Do I want to live in a place where the owner, shall we say, lacks the cleanliness gene? I don't think so.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM

I gave you a lot of information on your 2nd choice there is no reason to repeat that. Canfield Gardens is on a bus route, it is one way westwards. On the whole I think apart from local traffic and this single bus route it would be reasonable.

Your first choice is I think actually on West End Lane, this does have a lot of through traffic including several bus routes. Its worst feature is grid lock caused either by road works or heavy traffic or a combination of the two.

It is nearer to Kilburn High Road which has a selection of shops, mostly at the cheaper end of the range but there is a bookshop there. It is lively, busy, useful but not beautiful. There is an independent cinema cum theatre, The Tricycle there and a choice of pentecostal churches. There is a newly built public library branch going south on Kilburn High Road.

West End Lane has a small neighbourhood shopping centre but these are gradually turning into cafes. Its just a bit further west of the Finchley Road Swiss Cottage area that I described before and you can walk, tube or bus there.

Good transport links elsewhere from both.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 05:30 PM
cw

I'm not sure when you need the apartment but the second one is rented until August of next year. Perhaps you're going in the Fall?

Sorry, can't help with the neighborhoods but both units look very nice.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I feel fairly confident that we'll get #1. Of course, you never know. Look what happened to the Chelsea flat (which, by the way, is now listed on Winkworth at L575 instead of the original L450 we were told). Yes, cw, we are going in the fall and both flats are available for our stay.

I've been using the photo link on Google maps to 'drive' up and down the streets. What a fun thing that is! I can't think how I ever made any travel decisions before the internet.

Helen, I've looked at Kilburn Road and your description is exactly what I thought. It's definitely not charming but at least we'll be able to do some grocery shopping and make use of the library. Sorry about posting that Canfield Gardens one twice. I'd forgotten that I'd even considered it before. Oh well. At least I'm consistent.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 02:47 AM

I'm sure you'll enjoy your visit and will experience life more as a local. There are however lots of people on long and short stays from elsewhere so you will probably find someone to share your grumps. They are inevitable when you are away from home and it is best to let it out.

The local Council Camden is doing a lot to promote local business and has just produced a handbook on the various areas of the borough with information about all the unusual businesses, shops and museums. I think you will probably be able to pick up a copy when you arrive, if this is your final destination. I am usually quite cynical about these things but this time it actually looks quite good.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 04:28 AM

If you stay in Finchley Rd and see a chunky chick called Oonagh. Tell her I said hello.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 04:29 AM

Oh and find out when her husband's out.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Oh, trust me -- we've never had any problem letting our grumps out.

We've pretty easy-going travelers and this isn't the first time we'll have lived away from home, although the last time wasn't overseas. We lived in the US for three years while my SO did his graduate work but being about 40 minutes outside of NYC wasn't exactly a hardship.

The mere fact that neither of us has to work for 4 months is a pretty cheerful start and we're hoping this stay in London will include shorts jaunts to (maybe) Paris, Barcelona, Prague, the Amalfi coast. Now how can that be bad?
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Woo hoo! Tomorrow we're signing a lease for #1!

I've had plenty of contact with the owner and have checked references (and she's checked mine). We're well within our budget, even with the few utilities that are over and above our rent and I think the neighbourhood will be fine. I've checked about the noise factor, central heating, transportation, shopping, public libraries -- all the things that will be important to us, and everything seems good. Plus, I've got a recommendation for a good hairdresser!

Thank you for your help and good advice on all my threads. I'm sure I'll have a bajillion more questions in the future but at least we've got a place to live. Fifteen weeks and three days in London!!!!! Woo hoo!